Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default Golf R purchase tomorrow

Well I have been holding off buying a new car since March. But now is the time to make my decision. I have been going back and forth on the 13 STI and the 13 Golf R for many many weeks. THe STI is definitely where my heart is. Always has been since I sold my 2006 modded STI. It was such a great car. Very raw and connected. FAst forward 6 years, and I have a 4 year old and another kid on the way in February. I could not be any happier. So with that being said, the 2000 Tundra I have been driving since I sold my 2011 WRX has been a great vehicle, but its time in my life is at an end.

The case for the Golf R is compelling. I have taken 2 test drives that equates to about 40 minutes in the car. I have posted about the fabulous suspension, the amazing seats, and the incredible brakes. I have complimented the car on its ample room and well laid out interior. The engine makes power smoothly and sounds good while it does it. The SHifter is just amazing. The technical features of the Golf are FAR and beyond the STI (with the exception of the lack of home link.. which is weird).

Now cons. Well the reliability of the Golf will not match the STI. No doubt about that. But the VW dealer is only about 8 miles away, where the Subaru dealer is 46 miles (on a toll route). THe golf is not as raw and connected as the STI. And that is actually quite a drawback. The Golf is not as fast as the WRX or STI from an acceleration point of view

I want to buy an STI again, it will be my 8th subaru since 2000. It would look good next to my 2007 Outback XT. It is a familiar and comforting car to own. But I have to force myself to think logically as I ask myself the question: CAn a die hard Subaru guy be happy with a VW? Right now, it seems buying the 2013 STI after owning a well modded 2011 WRX just feels like I am buying the same car again. (even though they are next to nothing alike mechanically)

The Golf R is a better Daily Driver in every conceivable and measurable category. It has better seats, better materials, more room inside, better ride quality, better stereo, more advanced keyless features, better MPG, lower price tag, and a solid build feel.

The STI is a more focused track car, whose limits are higher than the golfs in braking and acceleration.

Stepping back, I only do about 2 to 3 track days a year, and they are just purely for fun. The last time I went I took my 2011 WRX and completely destroyed the stock brakes in 20 minutes. The STI and Golf R will probably not have that issue.

So again, tomorrow I get the keys to a Golf R, and shortly after a complete comprehensive review will follow.

Having an APR tuning shop 20 minutes from my house does not hurt either...

STay tuned for a golf R review!
SCRAPPYDO is online now  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Can't say it's what I'd have chosen simply because of the notorious reliability issues, but it sounds like you know that going in and have lots of other reasons for choosing it.

Hope you like it!
mrkyle3 is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Napalm3nema
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 263954
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2014 EVO Yes, EVO
Wicked White

Default

Meh, enjoy, but I never regret any day that I turn the key on my STi.
Napalm3nema is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
cbr600f3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 55067
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2013 Audi S4
Brillant Black

Default

It is all about what moves you and it sounds like the Golf R does just that for you! Keep us updated with the reliability as well.
cbr600f3 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
cal_look_zero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 294461
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Grass Pants, OR
Vehicle:
1997 Outback Sport
344hp/348tq

Default

I was a VW guy until I got a Subaru... The Golf has always been a great platform; I have a hopped up MKI GTI sitting in the driveway at the moment. Enjoy!
cal_look_zero is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
some dude
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100300
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MIC|-|IG/\N
Vehicle:
06 WRX
CGM

Default

The brakes on the Golf are quite large. They make my brakes look tiny! My friend bought one and with 100 miles on it he ragged it all the way out and was banging every shift really hard. Made me laugh, but it seemed like a great car that is lots of fun.
some dude is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Decipher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262760
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake in the Hills, ILLnoise
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch Limtd
Satin White Pearl

Default

There are two types of performance; perceived performance and actual performance. To me, perceived performance is the exact balance of what you need or desire, even if it's not the top performer in reality. It sounds like you've weighed out your decision.

You are of course on a Subaru forum where Subaru love is high. That being said, I'm not unreasonable and I am pretty well versed in cars. I have love for cars of all makes. With all of this in mind, I personally would never buy a VW because of their reliability, or lack thereof. Don't get me wrong, the Golf R offers incredible features wrapped in a very cool looking package. I just hope your ownership experience is everything you hope it will be. I would spend my money elsewhere but I'm happy for you and can't wait to read your reviews.
Decipher is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Perhaps the most well written and unbiased reviews I have ever read on NASIOC in 5 years. Kudos and thanks!

Yeah, the reliability is what really scares me. Everything else I am fairly confident in. What I did not post is what exactly I am looking for in my next car. That would have been useful as it would put my words in more context.

I was looking for a car that would slot in between the WRX and STI performance wise. The Golf R is very quick. Would give any WRX a run for its money in a straight line. And my initial test drive told me that the Golf R is a far better handling car than a stock WRX is, even with its all season tires.

However, a WRX can be made much better with a handful of mods. Wheels, tires, sway bars, and brakes to name a few. But, and this is where the Golf R leaps above the stock WRX for me. I do not want to have to dump 4000 dollars of mods into a car to make it enjoyable. The Golf R is VERY good right out of the box. And if it needs more power, then an APR flash is only 499 and 15 minutes away from 305 HP.

To me the Golf R's more direct comparison is the WRX. Some would say the GTI, but the FWD nature of that car to me makes it too different.

Okay, so anyway, it is about T minus 8 hours until I go to the VW dealership. This will be my first German car. I will make sure I introduce myself to the service manager when I am there.

I advise people on buying cars all the time. And if there is anything I preach to people is this. Be honest with yourself. Do you buy a car as an appliance, or as a source of joy. Be honest with yourself. How will this car actually get used? Be honest with yourself. Know how much you want to spend and do not exceed that. There will be times your head and your heart will cloud your judgement. And if your are truly honest with yourself, you can help navigate those waters. Should you buy a car that comes with a boat load of compromises so you can enjoy it for 1% of the driving you actually do. Or should you buy a car for the 99% of the driving you do?

My decision to buy the Golf R is just that. It is a car that fits my life right now 99% of the time, that will still allow me to have a bunch of fun on those 1% days.
SCRAPPYDO is online now  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Perhaps the most well written and unbiased reviews I have ever read on NASIOC in 5 years. Kudos and thanks!

Yeah, the reliability is what really scares me. Everything else I am fairly confident in. What I did not post is what exactly I am looking for in my next car. That would have been useful as it would put my words in more context.

I was looking for a car that would slot in between the WRX and STI performance wise. The Golf R is very quick. Would give any WRX a run for its money in a straight line. And my initial test drive told me that the Golf R is a far better handling car than a stock WRX is, even with its all season tires.

However, a WRX can be made much better with a handful of mods. Wheels, tires, sway bars, and brakes to name a few. But, and this is where the Golf R leaps above the stock WRX for me. I do not want to have to dump 4000 dollars of mods into a car to make it enjoyable. The Golf R is VERY good right out of the box. And if it needs more power, then an APR flash is only 499 and 15 minutes away from 305 HP.

To me the Golf R's more direct comparison is the WRX. Some would say the GTI, but the FWD nature of that car to me makes it too different.

Okay, so anyway, it is about T minus 8 hours until I go to the VW dealership. This will be my first German car. I will make sure I introduce myself to the service manager when I am there.

I advise people on buying cars all the time. And if there is anything I preach to people is this. Be honest with yourself. Do you buy a car as an appliance, or as a source of joy. Be honest with yourself. How will this car actually get used? Be honest with yourself. Know how much you want to spend and do not exceed that. There will be times your head and your heart will cloud your judgement. And if your are truly honest with yourself, you can help navigate those waters. Should you buy a car that comes with a boat load of compromises so you can enjoy it for 1% of the driving you actually do. Or should you buy a car for the 99% of the driving you do?

My decision to buy the Golf R is just that. It is a car that fits my life right now 99% of the time, that will still allow me to have a bunch of fun on those 1% days.
I don't think the R can be compared to the WRX power-wise. WRX now has the same whp as the STI. GTI isn't even close. But suspension-wise the Golf R definitely has the upper hand stock for stock.

Either way definitely sounds like you were being honest with yourself about what you really need. I hope it works out!
mrkyle3 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyle3 View Post

WRX now has the same whp as the STI.
Stock? In what universe?

WRXLTD is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
Stock? In what universe?

Look at the cobb dyno database. 09+ has same whp. It is underrated from factory.

It's pretty common knowledge.
mrkyle3 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
Stock? In what universe?

Hello, welcome to 2009.

Power at the wheels is VERY similar. Hence, their acceleration is now VERY similar. This is not news.

Relax, your car is superior, just not really in terms of acceleration anymore.

Last edited by REX8; 11-19-2012 at 12:19 PM.
REX8 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post

Relax, your car is superior, just not really in terms of acceleration anymore.
Classic STI envy...



I was never worried, the STI is superior over the WRX, period.
WRXLTD is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Having the dealer 8 miles away will really help you a lot. When I had my 2 Audis, I only had about 12 miles and the dealer was pretty much on my way to work. Really worked great and the only drawback was when I'd get out of work, I would forget which A4 (or S4) was mine, because I drove loaner cars so much. Hopefully your R will be in the shop less than my S4 was (exactly 50% of the time I owned the car). What I don't quite understand is why anyone in Houston (or Florida or socal) would ever buy an AWD car. The hit on efficiency, power to the wheels and fuel mileage really makes you pay a premium for something that I always look at as a way to be able to get up my driveway in the winter. But...whatever. Tight hatches are certainly fun. I drove my son's CRX to work today and it's a blast to drive. Good luck with the car. Post a picture when you pick it up.....or maybe pics of the loaner cars.
Jack is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
oharao2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229802
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg FL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
Having the dealer 8 miles away will really help you a lot. When I had my 2 Audis, I only had about 12 miles and the dealer was pretty much on my way to work. Really worked great and the only drawback was when I'd get out of work, I would forget which A4 (or S4) was mine, because I drove loaner cars so much. Hopefully your R will be in the shop less than my S4 was (exactly 50% of the time I owned the car). What I don't quite understand is why anyone in Houston (or Florida or socal) would ever buy an AWD car. The hit on efficiency, power to the wheels and fuel mileage really makes you pay a premium for something that I always look at as a way to be able to get up my driveway in the winter. But...whatever. Tight hatches are certainly fun. I drove my son's CRX to work today and it's a blast to drive. Good luck with the car. Post a picture when you pick it up.....or maybe pics of the loaner cars.
Have you seen the rain we get in Fla during the summers? During monsoon season the roads are like driving on ice. The freeways are especially treacherous. Even front wheel drive cars are skittish and subject to Hydro plane. So there is plenty of reason to own an AWD car down here. And let me tell you there is not a rainy day in Fla that i dont thank the car gods for my AWD STI. The AWD takes the stress out of having to worry about my car along with the other geniuses on the road.
oharao2 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Xav_Dude
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 200268
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
What I don't quite understand is why anyone in Houston (or Florida or socal) would ever buy an AWD car. The hit on efficiency, power to the wheels and fuel mileage really makes you pay a premium for something that I always look at as a way to be able to get up my driveway in the winter.
^^^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO
Even front wheel drive cars are skittish and subject to Hydro plane. So there is plenty of reason to own an AWD car down here.
Give me a scientific evidence that AWD is SIGNIFICANTLY helping in hydro plane situations. And even if you gain 0.2% of wet traction because of AWD, does it really make it up for the all drawbacks of AWD? Again, show me evidence, I might be wrong. But there's a general delusional belief that AWD helps traction greatly in every situation. I blame marketing and commercials. I still respect your choice, I've always loved VWs.
Xav_Dude is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
What I don't quite understand is why anyone in Houston (or Florida or socal) would ever buy an AWD car. The hit on efficiency, power to the wheels and fuel mileage really makes you pay a premium for something that I always look at as a way to be able to get up my driveway in the winter. But...whatever. Tight hatches are certainly fun. I drove my son's CRX to work today and it's a blast to drive. Good luck with the car. Post a picture when you pick it up.....or maybe pics of the loaner cars.
that is because you are an engineer and you dont THINK...you calculate

there are MANY reasons for awd wherever you live.....and some of us realize that fuel mileage is irrelevant to the issues at hand
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that is because you are an engineer and you dont THINK...you calculate

there are MANY reasons for awd wherever you live.....and some of us realize that fuel mileage is irrelevant to the issues at hand
For a daily driver, yah, you're right, I look at what I "need".

Why anyone would own a Porsche or Aston Martin or Lotus........I do understand that too.
Jack is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
jhmr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313217
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2013 STi Sedan Stg 1
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that is because you are an engineer and you dont THINK...you calculate
This statement makes no sense. How do you calculate without thinking? Do you think there's just a book with magical equations to everything? What's with all the hate towards engineers?

jhmr is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
mtarr07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246990
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmr View Post
This statement makes no sense. How do you calculate without thinking? Do you think there's just a book with magical equations to everything? What's with all the hate towards engineers?


I have no hate towards engineers; a TON of my friends are mechanical or electrical engineers.

I do have to agree that they calculate instead of think though. Its kind of tough to explain but for example we joke about one of my ME buddies always calculates how much a girfriend would cost and we always counter with "but it will make you HAPPY" and you cant calculate or put a price on happieness you know?

Not sure if I did a good job explaining there.
mtarr07 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmr View Post
This statement makes no sense. How do you calculate without thinking? Do you think there's just a book with magical equations to everything? What's with all the hate towards engineers?



maybe you will see where what you think is wrong, some day

and enginers are idiots......the very vast majority of them

you may learn that in your life, too....if your eyes are open enough and you brain isnt too blunted
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
swpshgnwgn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150494
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Scituate, MA
Vehicle:
11 WRX
SWP Torqued Stg II

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
and enginers are idiots......the very vast majority of them
That's pretty ignorant to say. I knew quite a few engineers that I went to school with that were pretty damn smart. And one of my buddies went to a top engineering school in the country who now works for a top defense contractor out here. You could say he's pretty smart I guess.

Now if you want to talk street smarts vs. book smarts, well, that's a different story.
swpshgnwgn is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post


maybe you will see where what you think is wrong, some day

and enginers are idiots......the very vast majority of them

you may learn that in your life, too....if your eyes are open enough and you brain isnt too blunted
LOL sure. A lot of engineers may be social misfits but I can assure you that the majority are not idiots. Honestly your post is one of the dumbest I've read in the internet in a while and you have the nerve to call another group idiots.
heavyD is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
Serkan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180514
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Windsor
Vehicle:
2004 Sti White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
What I don't quite understand is why anyone in Houston (or Florida or socal) would ever buy an AWD car.
Could be because some people want the power to be delivered to those 4 points where it matters the most.
Serkan is online now  
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkan View Post
Could be because some people want the power to be delivered to those 4 points where it matters the most.
Meanwhile, it's slowing you down and killing your gas mileage.
FaastLegacy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.