Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default 08-10 STI H&R Coils too low?

I've been shopping for suspension upgrade for my 2010 STI, and in all my research I've refined the list down to a couple choices. I know there is a ton of material between Nasioc and IWSTI, but guess I'd like to get some opinions directed at my situation... Plus RCE Myles is out of town

First off, I'm in MN - snow is hellish here, especially this last one with 155 days of snow. I'm not interested in swapping out suspensions for winter vs summer and paying for alignment. I'm also not interested in slamming the car or trying to alter the original geometry where I need roll center and camber kits. Road noise does not bother me - But Clunks, rattles, creaks, etc for some improved handling is not the sacrifice I'm looking to make

Here are my list of options:
1) H&R Coilovers - Perrin has these listed at 1170, they have lifetime warranty/guarantee, they utilize mono-tube Bilstein dampers, and as far as I can tell have stainless damper housings to resist corrosion (could be wrong). I've also read some really good reviews about quality and performance. Downside is... in order to stay in spec of damper travel the drop is at least 1.3f 1.2r. that, to me, is pushing it in terms of low. I already look like a snowplow during winter, what is 1.3in going to do? Plus, throw in that the front bumper sticks out about a 1/2 mile of the front wheels and I've got an image of me tippy toe driving in and out of any entrance/driveway...I guess I already have to anyway lol


2) GTWORX Bilstein + yellow - I've heard great things....however, it's sounding like MAYBE August they'll have more and I have to pre-order now.... Fall drives are amazing in MN, but that really leaves little time to enjoy my 1,350 investment. I've had a set of Bilstein sports before with springs and they were fantastic, but does anyone know if this set is going to have the lifetime guarantee since they are revalved by GTWORX?


3) just springs - I've never really liked this idea. I know a lot of people dyno test the setups on stock dampers, but I feel it's not just the springs that I take issue with in the current handling.

I guess I'm not really the cut corners person - but I'm also not finding 2k + KW's as realistic either....I wish I could, but 2k could also buy me a trip out Heli skiing.. Will I track the car? possibly.. BIR is not far. Since I come from an Audi/VW background, I already get flamed for going to an STI, especially pre-revisions (2011).... I guess It's just annoying that my car works up a stink for 1/2 the things an OEM B6 S4 does drama free while having coffee.

As an FYI - I've already done 25mm F/22mm R + endlink and Michelin Pilot SS... Still not satisfied.


Last edited by onerazorsharp; 05-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
thatsilver2.5rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142268
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2004 WRX - Aspen
not really white.

Default

The GTWORX Bilsteins and Yellows would probably be your best bet - really an easy and very well-rounded solution that doesn't lower the car too much. If I recall correctly they do have the same warranty as any other set of brand new Bilstein struts/shocks. Understandably the wait for them isn't optimal (if only Bilstein could produce them faster pace ).

I don't know as much about the H&R Coilovers - if they indeed drop a minimum of 1.2-.3" that really is pushing it... especially since I have read that the progressive rates on them is soft(er) for a coilover setup, and aimed more towards street driving. However if the min height really is that low and the springs are soft.... no bueno in my opinion. If they do have Bilstein made dampers in them that's a plus.

Edit: Got curious after writing that and did some Googling: Looks like the H&Rs sure do have Bilstein-produced internals (to H&R spec)

Last edited by thatsilver2.5rs; 05-17-2013 at 01:29 PM.
thatsilver2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

this is probably lower, but mostly what I think I'll be looking like in winter....




Damn you H&R
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
SW21MR2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60135
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Vehicle:
2005 Kona Stink-E
White

Default

nice snow plow
SW21MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW21MR2 View Post
nice snow plow
haha, definately not my car - Just good for context haha
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
clou
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271562
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Richmond, BC
Vehicle:
2011 STI
PBP

Default

I'm kind of in the same boat as you right now, but have RCE yellows. To me, they're a bit too bouncy for the street so I'd like to find something more compliant.

I messaged a member on iwsti that runs the H&Rs on his '11 and he finds them harsh. I'm thinking about giving the Eibach pro street coilovers a shot as they've gotten pretty good reviews from other forums for their comfort. Supposedly they use a KW damper, and you can maintain stock height. They use softer progressive springs as well, but I could care less because my car will maybe see a track once or twice.
clou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clou View Post
I messaged a member on iwsti that runs the H&Rs on his '11 and he finds them harsh. I'm thinking about giving the Eibach pro street coilovers a shot as they've gotten pretty good reviews from other forums for their comfort. Supposedly they use a KW damper, and you can maintain stock height. They use softer progressive springs as well, but I could care less because my car will maybe see a track once or twice.
I've heard some pretty interesting things about the R1's as well. In my opinion the Eibachs use quality materials and are a little more of a daily driver oriented suspension. The couple of negatives I've heard are that the top perches are metal on metal and make a lot of noise. That to me is an instant turn off ..

As far as the H&R setup ride quality, I do know that the old cup kit they sold for various VW/Audi's did not have good rep for DD's compared to a mix match bilstein + spring of your own design.

What's the story for this FEAL re-valve + swift or FEAL 401 setup? I know there is another thread on this going on. Maybe I could steal some attention from Adas ??

Last edited by onerazorsharp; 05-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

Think I'll be giving Adas a call on Monday. Not enough info posted on deal IMO. Lots of people call and get something figured out through them, then never hear anything...


No news is good news maybe???

Last edited by onerazorsharp; 05-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

Well, After talking with Odi and Adas from FEAL I placed my order for the FEAL 441 Coilover. Both guys are super knowledgeable and really helped answer all my questions. Any company with service like this is where I'm going to take my business. There are a lot of topics that I covered with both guys and I think I'll do a good write up on these to talk more on why I made this decision on top of the product review.

I did talk to both guys about the re-valve for GR struts/shocks, but it appears they only do the front struts now. They didn't like the results of the rear shocks and turns out that the 441's were really a superior product for a very competitive price. So anyone looking to do the re-valve, you might have to wait for them to do some more R&D for the rear assembly.

I went with the standard 8k/8k spring rates and Odi will have the everything pretty much pre-set for me. Can't wait to get them installed!

Last edited by onerazorsharp; 05-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
clou
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271562
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Richmond, BC
Vehicle:
2011 STI
PBP

Default

Looking forward to your impressions! Still trying to figure out what I want to do.
clou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerazorsharp View Post
I've been shopping for suspension upgrade for my 2010 STI, and in all my research I've refined the list down to a couple choices. I know there is a ton of material between Nasioc and IWSTI, but guess I'd like to get some opinions directed at my situation... Plus RCE Myles is out of town

First off, I'm in MN - snow is hellish here, especially this last one with 155 days of snow. I'm not interested in swapping out suspensions for winter vs summer and paying for alignment. I'm also not interested in slamming the car or trying to alter the original geometry where I need roll center and camber kits. Road noise does not bother me - But Clunks, rattles, creaks, etc for some improved handling is not the sacrifice I'm looking to make

Here are my list of options:
1) H&R Coilovers - Perrin has these listed at 1170, they have lifetime warranty/guarantee, they utilize mono-tube Bilstein dampers, and as far as I can tell have stainless damper housings to resist corrosion (could be wrong). I've also read some really good reviews about quality and performance. Downside is... in order to stay in spec of damper travel the drop is at least 1.3f 1.2r. that, to me, is pushing it in terms of low. I already look like a snowplow during winter, what is 1.3in going to do? Plus, throw in that the front bumper sticks out about a 1/2 mile of the front wheels and I've got an image of me tippy toe driving in and out of any entrance/driveway...I guess I already have to anyway lol


2) GTWORX Bilstein + yellow - I've heard great things....however, it's sounding like MAYBE August they'll have more and I have to pre-order now.... Fall drives are amazing in MN, but that really leaves little time to enjoy my 1,350 investment. I've had a set of Bilstein sports before with springs and they were fantastic, but does anyone know if this set is going to have the lifetime guarantee since they are revalved by GTWORX?


3) just springs - I've never really liked this idea. I know a lot of people dyno test the setups on stock dampers, but I feel it's not just the springs that I take issue with in the current handling.

I guess I'm not really the cut corners person - but I'm also not finding 2k + KW's as realistic either....I wish I could, but 2k could also buy me a trip out Heli skiing.. Will I track the car? possibly.. BIR is not far. Since I come from an Audi/VW background, I already get flamed for going to an STI, especially pre-revisions (2011).... I guess It's just annoying that my car works up a stink for 1/2 the things an OEM B6 S4 does drama free while having coffee.

As an FYI - I've already done 25mm F/22mm R + endlink and Michelin Pilot SS... Still not satisfied.

leave it stock or raise it an inch and be far better off
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

HOW BOUT THIS!??



haha, mmmmmno.

I appreciate your..umm..well thought out suggestion, but I'm too much of a snob to deal with the inherent weakness of this chassis. Again, too bad I picked up a pre-revision car. I just couldn't say no when I found that the previous owner had already built the engine and upgraded so many other things.

Although, here's a snapshot of the MN winter - this all came down in less than 1 hour.

onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 93646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Default

For a daily driver I think springs and struts are the way to go. We have done some KOnis and blacks for STI guys and all have loved the setup. Inexpensive and great quality parts that will last a long time.

Tony
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
isotopesope
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265783
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: colorado springs
Vehicle:
2008 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
For a daily driver I think springs and struts are the way to go. We have done some KOnis and blacks for STI guys and all have loved the setup. Inexpensive and great quality parts that will last a long time.

Tony
are koni's available for +08 STi's? specifically the 2011 rears. i can only find them for 08+ WRX's.
isotopesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
onerazorsharp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347837
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI
Black

Default

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the response. Are these the Koni Inserts that require a little tailoring to put in? Also, how well are these valved to work with the yellows? Although the title I had was regarding "too low", what I wanted originally was to maintain something that won't alter the geometry too much but also change the stance a little as well.

For me, I've already made my decision on gone to Odi and Adas at Feal for my 441 Coilovers. I will say that the debate between practical coils and strut spring combos for a DD is ongoing, but as a recent buyer and researcher the biggest decision maker seems to be the service and length the sellers will go to provide for their customers .

I'm sure others that have posted would love to hear more details about this. In fact, I have a co-worker with a brand new sti that might be interested to hear more: prices, combos, technical info about install, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
For a daily driver I think springs and struts are the way to go. We have done some KOnis and blacks for STI guys and all have loved the setup. Inexpensive and great quality parts that will last a long time.

Tony
Nick

Last edited by onerazorsharp; 05-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.
onerazorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.