Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-29-2000, 10:54 AM   #1
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Question Intake Question

Has anyone taken a look at thier airflow sensor lateley? I have used a K&N panel filter for the past 130,000 miles. I keep it well oiled. The leading edges of my airflow sensor have a thin layer of dust/crud build up. Does anyone who has stuck with a paper filter have similar buildup?

In front of the airflow sensor is a wire mesh. This is probably there to protect the sensor from debris that get sucked into the intake, but if you are using a filter there is no way anything is going to get to the sensor. It's like installing a picket fence to stop anyone that gets past your razorwire electric fence. Removing this will improve airflow, but will the change in the flow characteristics affect the sensor readings adversely?

Old 11-29-2000, 02:00 PM   #2
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

How do I get to the airflow sensor? Is this the one next to the airbox? I have a paper filter, but last time I checked didn't notice any buildup of grime or whatever.

Glen
Old 11-29-2000, 02:52 PM   #3
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

If you look in the tubing after your filter box you will see a wire mesh. Hiding behind the mesh you will see the airflow sensor. Mine has a thin layer of dust on it. Tonight I am going to clean it off with cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol.
Old 11-29-2000, 04:35 PM   #4
immortal_suby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1711
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
140 rogue points!
2013 GBS BRZ Limited 6MT

I too am running a K&N for at least 22,000 miles. I also tore out the wire mesh screen about 10,000 miles ago. There is no buildup on my MAF yet. Be very careful when you clean it, that is an expensive piece of wire.
Old 11-29-2000, 04:59 PM   #5
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Your K&N has been on for 22,000 miles? Get back to me in about 110,000 miles.

150K miles and counting. Provided no misfortune befalls my car, 250K should be easy.