Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Triple S
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 39300
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
'04 STI
Silver on Silver

Default Silencer Mod

I continue to read about removing the silencer on the STI. My first question is does this really improve the performance of the car?

My second question is does this affect how much engine whine one can hear in the cabin (not always a bad thing)? Or turbo whine (more whoosh the better)?

My third question is what are or could be the harmful effects of such a modification?

Kevin
Triple S is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Seraph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12251
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Proud Member of BAIC Wagon Clique
Default

Well if you have a few hours, just take it off and find out, I'd imagine that the results are similiar between the wrx and the STi. I did it to my wrx, no need to do it to the STi just yet

The engine/exhaust is a little more pronounced, and you can hear the recirculating valve go. I believe when i did it the turbo spooled up 200-400 rpms or so quicker.

Any actual power gain was not discernable by buttdyno.
Seraph is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
INTEGRAtoWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13931
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
02 WRX
13 Boss 302

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Well if you have a few hours, just take it off and find out, I'd imagine that the results are similiar between the wrx and the STi. I did it to my wrx, no need to do it to the STi just yet

The engine/exhaust is a little more pronounced, and you can hear the recirculating valve go. I believe when i did it the turbo spooled up 200-400 rpms or so quicker.

Any actual power gain was not discernable by buttdyno.
Few hours??? It took me less than 15 minutes and I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I think it's worth it so you can hear the turbo and stock bov a lot better. I don't see any major downsides, unless you submerge the car in deep water.

If you check out scoobymods.com, they tell you exactly what to do and what tools to use. It's worth a try since it's so quick and easy to do. If you don't like it put it back on.
INTEGRAtoWRX is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
Seraph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12251
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Proud Member of BAIC Wagon Clique
Default

Well, you still need to drive it around awhile to see how you like it, its not like you just rip it off then drive to the end of your block and you'll be able to tell if you like it.

Drive for an hour or so and see if you feel anything different, then drive a bit on the streets and see if the higher noise level attracts any more attention, so you know what you'll be in for.

I got quite a few looks from cops and other imports/domestics after i did it to my wrx, i'm certainly an attention whore, but i dunno if thats your style.
Seraph is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Triple S
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 39300
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
'04 STI
Silver on Silver

Default

But what exactly changes after the silencer is removed? Is the airflow improved, etc?
Triple S is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
INTEGRAtoWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13931
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
02 WRX
13 Boss 302

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Triple S
But what exactly changes after the silencer is removed? Is the airflow improved, etc?
I think you get a slight improvement in airflow (although it may be a little warmer air since it's in the engine compartment) So the silencer is a bit more restrictive, and it is there to silence the turbo sound. It's a big plastic weird looking thing in the fenderwell.

Not going to notice much of a power difference, but I did it strictly to hear the turbo and bov. I love the sound of the turbo spooling and the bov, and just didn't want to spend money on an aftermarket bov etc. Noone seemed to notice a difference when I took it off (cops, people walking by etc..) It's just super easy to take off, it's free, and you can put it back on quickly if you want to when you take it to the dealer.
INTEGRAtoWRX is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #7
Triple S
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 39300
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
'04 STI
Silver on Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by INTEGRAtoWRX


I think you get a slight improvement in airflow (although it may be a little warmer air since it's in the engine compartment) So the silencer is a bit more restrictive, and it is there to silence the turbo sound. It's a big plastic weird looking thing in the fenderwell.

Not going to notice much of a power difference, but I did it strictly to hear the turbo and bov. I love the sound of the turbo spooling and the bov, and just didn't want to spend money on an aftermarket bov etc. Noone seemed to notice a difference when I took it off (cops, people walking by etc..) It's just super easy to take off, it's free, and you can put it back on quickly if you want to when you take it to the dealer.
Did it affect your gas mileage?
Triple S is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
Seraph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12251
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Proud Member of BAIC Wagon Clique
Default

if it did, it wasn't enough for me to notice

The attention thing depends on where you're at, i'm in san francisco and the associated copland that is fremont

for the pssst sound!
Seraph is offline  
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
INTEGRAtoWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13931
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
02 WRX
13 Boss 302

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
if it did, it wasn't enough for me to notice

The attention thing depends on where you're at, i'm in san francisco and the associated copland that is fremont

for the pssst sound!
Very true...I forgot I live in Ohio. There's a bunch of cornfields here....
INTEGRAtoWRX is offline  
Old 07-22-2003, 02:15 AM   #10
rlavalle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 18384
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Seattle 'burb (Kirkland)
Vehicle:
2004 STi: 580 AWHP
Java Black Pearl

Default

If you just cut the jug portion of the silencer off, you get the airflow improvement along with cool air. You can keep the underhood funnel portion in place too for a stock look.

I think this will net more air than removing it since the plastic piping stretches the gasket in the entrance of the airbox. Without the silencer tubing in place, the gasket/seal expands a bit, reducing the inlet size.

You end up with something of a 'Y'.

Hope this helps,
Russ
rlavalle is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
instead of silencer delete, why not try silencer mod? checque Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 1 03-20-2005 08:17 PM
('93-'01) silencer mod REXboy Impreza Forum 3 04-08-2001 09:21 AM
Anyone have the link to the WRX intake silencer mod? Godmal Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 0 04-06-2001 12:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.