Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-01-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
dgp2003wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60955
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
blue

Default spark plugs

i read unabombers faq, but i still have a question it says in there that if they are pre-gapped they are not intended to have the gap changed by the end user, so i'ts about time i need a set of one step colder and a guy on here has some ngk iridium one step colder and he says they are pre gapped at .44, so i was wondering if i shouldnt buy these becuase they are already pre gapped? or if i can change the gap
dgp2003wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You [i]can[i] gap iridium plags, but you best leave it up to someone who knows the theory of gapping iridium plugs. .44 is NOT good, so they would have to be gapped by someone who knows what they are doing. The reason you need a pro is that if you mess them up, you will ruin the iridium plug as teh tip is so, so small.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Gapping ANY plug down from .044(-11) to ~.030 for a WRX is a bad idea.....and it is REAL-REAL easy to make a good $11 plug into a paperweight in a blink.

Get the correct plug to start with, the NON -11 plug , and go from there.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
AirForge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70035
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

I had to decrease the gap on my autolite plugs. They were up in the .40 range out of the box (even though the guy at autozone said they were pregapped to .30). I just tapped em down a little bit and gapped them to .30. Ive had em in for about 300 miles and it runs like a champ. I donno, maybe i just got lucky.
AirForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
rbcsaver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 78039
Vehicle:
02 WRX
WRX Blue

AirForge,
Their regapping dicussion only pertains to the iradium plugs. But it has been my many years of experience that the correct plug is usually pretty close outta the box.
regards,
Steve
rbcsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

An NGK sparkplug that has a '-11' at the end of the number is pre-gapped at 1.1mm or .0433" That is the WRONG plug because the SAME plug WITHOUT the '-11' is pre-gapped at .7-.8mm or .0275-.0314" which is the CORRECT plug to start with, for a WRX.

This IS on NGK's website...
Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
sparkplugs
Vendor

Member#: 79003

no matter the plug type, you shouldn't gap < or > .008". The reason for this is the ground electrode and center electrode won't line up properly, hindering spark plug performance.

The manufacturers say you should not gap iridium plugs. This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

Here's instructions on properly gapping:
"If it iss necessary to widen the gap, do so with a tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode without touching the center electrode or the porcelain. To close the gap on a plug, gently tap the plug, electrode first on a hard surface." (taken from sparkplugs.com's "sparkplug 411" page)

Scotty's 100% correct on the "-11". Start with the non"-11" plug and this will minimize or eliminate the amount you will need to gap.
sparkplugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
XRayHipp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50070
Vehicle:
2002 Black Slushbox
2.5 Ounces to Freedom

Sorry for the mis-understanding .. but what is the correct gap for 2.5NA???
XRayHipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayHipp
Sorry for the mis-understanding .. but what is the correct gap for 2.5NA???

for the NA, 2.5, SOHC, according to the FSM, .039" - .043"

So the '-11' plug is the CORRECT plug for the NA, SOHC, 2.5
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
XRayHipp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50070
Vehicle:
2002 Black Slushbox
2.5 Ounces to Freedom

Kong
XRayHipp is offline   Reply With Quote