Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default Playing with ideas. Anyone have an 00 or 01 2.5rs motor for sale with < 100k on it?

Looking for a 2.5L in good shape with less than 100k on it as it would probably be cheaper for me to clean that up and play with it than it will be to get the headgaskets done in my motor.

Let me know.

Thanks,

-- Dave
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
jmj1112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57051
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
02 WRX
WRB

Default

o oh..........lol
jmj1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Seeing StaRS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5294
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Dave,
I take it then that your original motor had the headgasket go up on you too. Whats your mileage? did you have the coolant reconditioner additive tsb performed on your cooling system? If so you may have a warrantable claim with SOA.

joe
Seeing StaRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

I have a present for you Jay...hold that thought for a moment.

[Edit: made a new thread]

-- Dave

Last edited by AcquaCow; 06-30-2005 at 01:01 AM.
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

I'm at 77,3XX right now and the cooling side of the headgasket is fine. Conditioner was added at 55k. Mine's leaking about a quart of oil every 2 weeks from the oil return lines at the bottom of the block. The headgasket is supposed to keep that oil in there, but it's not and Subaru says that's not a warrantable condition for headgasket replacement. The headgasket MUST be leaking coolant for that to apply.

I was looking at repair options and the cheapest is $600-700. To have a dealer do it it'll cost me about $1500.

I figure I can pick up a used EJ25 for a few hundred dollars, do the headgaskets on it myself AND get the cams reground for sub $700...

Then I'd fix the gaskets on this motor and turn that around for someone else. Other than the leaky gasket, the motor is in perfect shape.

I'd do the whole WRX swap thing, but I don't have the down time to complete it right now. I don't have a second car and I don't have a garage, so any swaps I do have to be rather simple. I figure dropping a fresh EJ25 in place of my current one is the fastest/cheapest/best option.

-- Dave
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaCow
I'm at 77,3XX right now and the cooling side of the headgasket is fine. Conditioner was added at 55k. Mine's leaking about a quart of oil every 2 weeks from the oil return lines at the bottom of the block. The headgasket is supposed to keep that oil in there, but it's not and Subaru says that's not a warrantable condition for headgasket replacement. The headgasket MUST be leaking coolant for that to apply.

I was looking at repair options and the cheapest is $600-700. To have a dealer do it it'll cost me about $1500.

I figure I can pick up a used EJ25 for a few hundred dollars, do the headgaskets on it myself AND get the cams reground for sub $700...

Then I'd fix the gaskets on this motor and turn that around for someone else. Other than the leaky gasket, the motor is in perfect shape.

I'd do the whole WRX swap thing, but I don't have the down time to complete it right now. I don't have a second car and I don't have a garage, so any swaps I do have to be rather simple. I figure dropping a fresh EJ25 in place of my current one is the fastest/cheapest/best option.

-- Dave
How much would it cost to rent a car for the downtime of the WRX swap? If you're willing to do it, it might not be that much more expensive.
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno
How much would it cost to rent a car for the downtime of the WRX swap? If you're willing to do it, it might not be that much more expensive.
Not that much more expensive?

I'm looking at $800 max to fix up an EJ25, or around $2k to wrx swap...

That's a pretty big difference.

-- Dave
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaCow
Not that much more expensive?

I'm looking at $800 max to fix up an EJ25, or around $2k to wrx swap...

That's a pretty big difference.

-- Dave
You said that downtime / second car / garage were the main problems with a WRX swap.

At least some downtime will happen either way (unless you just give the car to Andrew or something)

Rental solves the "second car" problem

And you have the garage problem whichever motor you swap

what am I saying.. Dave with b00st.. head for the hills!
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #9
psyber_0ptix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60671
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
1992 Miata

Default

or buy a lgt
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:10 AM   #10
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix
or buy a lgt
You'll do anything to get at my 4-pots won't you

AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
rogue
call me Apples
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Dave:

1: Pour some coolant into your oil.
2: Drive to shop.
3: ????
4: Gasket!

5: Replacing your HGs (though I'm very hesitant to suggest this because I have a feeling it means my garage becomes your new home) is easier than replacing the motor. I helped Tom replace his DOHC HGs with the engine still in the car, in theory your SOHC is half the work...
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
AJ711
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6178
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Singletracks
Vehicle:
98 GM67 + 03 SG6
2 whls > 4 whls

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
Dave:

1: Pour some coolant into your oil.
2: Drive to shop.
3: ????
4: Gasket!

5: Replacing your HGs (though I'm very hesitant to suggest this because I have a feeling it means my garage becomes your new home) is easier than replacing the motor. I helped Tom replace his DOHC HGs with the engine still in the car, in theory your SOHC is half the work...
Well, we know he likes your couch at the very least. Just toss a forty down the stairs every night and lock the door to the upstairs and you'll be fine.

Dave, maybe take a look at the public auto auctions down and around the area. Pick up a cheap beater that will get you around, put RS on timeout and figure things out. I'm sure you could find a early 90's Audi quatro for cheap. I have a few links at home that I can pass on to you if you want.

AJ
AJ711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

If you want to do the HG's I'll help too. Or you you can do it out at my place over a long weekend. I have every other friday off.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
slim speedy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2254
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chantilly, VA
Vehicle:
1992 Sentra SE-R
1999 Infiniti G20

Default

I know of some cheap DSM's for sale.... Come to the dark side!!!
slim speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
rogue
call me Apples
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

The Quattros I've seen have always been $$$. No need to get an AWD beater, just get some FWD POS
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
The Quattros I've seen have always been $$$. No need to get an AWD beater, just get some FWD POS
Or a Miata

*ducks*
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #17
rogue
call me Apples
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno
Or a Miata

*ducks*
I said FWD POS, not "girl car."

And I agree with Tim on the swap, it's going to be almost as much $$ and extra heartache. $700 ain't bad.

Swapping your HGs with the engine in the car IS possible, as Tom can attest... but it took him two weeks working many hours a night after work to get it done, even with some help.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #18
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

If you can get it done for $700 and it can be done in 1 day, just do it. If you figure time = money, and you value your time, it's the cheapest way to go. It's going to take a LOT of time to find an engine, get it, put in the new head gaskets, take your engine out, put the new engine in, and then troubleshoot why it doesn't run (trust me, it won't run first try).
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #19
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

Well the thing with having a spare motor on the side is that I can do all of the work on it while I keep my car running. Then we just pick a weekend and take a few hours to swap the motors out.

Otherwise I start piecing together a wrx motor and building it on a table as well and once it's all assembled, swap the motors and then figure out 15 hours of wiring =P

-- Dave
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
TurbojonLS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 38772
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2 Cars, No Bling

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaCow
... Then we just pick a weekend and take a few hours to swap the motors out.
I've never swapped an engine in/on anything, but I'm thinking it will take more than "a few hours".
TurbojonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #21
rogue
call me Apples
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaCow
Well the thing with having a spare motor on the side is that I can do all of the work on it while I keep my car running. Then we just pick a weekend and take a few hours to swap the motors out.

Otherwise I start piecing together a wrx motor and building it on a table as well and once it's all assembled, swap the motors and then figure out 15 hours of wiring =P

-- Dave
Y...ea...h....

Where is this "table" you speak of, Mr. Lives On The Third Floor In An Apartment With No Elevator?

I've carried EJ motors, I can move them about 4 feet by hand with help before my bones give out.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #22
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 36838
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Reston VA
Vehicle:
2001 SRP RSTi
2011 DGM WRX hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
Y...ea...h....

Where is this "table" you speak of, Mr. Lives On The Third Floor In An Apartment With No Elevator?

I've carried EJ motors, I can move them about 4 feet by hand with help before my bones give out.
Yeah, but you also can't carry 2 bags of gravel.
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #23
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

I will bet you anything I own that you can not pull a motor in 2 hours.
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #24
rogue
call me Apples
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c
I will bet you anything I own that you can not pull a motor in 2 hours.
We tried to pull a Supra NA motor out of a car after nearly all the lines had been disconected and wires snipped...

We spent 6 hours trying and making slow progress, and then gave up... and this was a scrap car that we didn't mind hurting.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #25
ScoobArmada
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12974
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Whiter than Faded BRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
I've carried EJ motors, I can move them about 4 feet by hand with help before my bones give out.
4 feet?! Come on man, I've helped move one at least 8 feet before a random nub of metal on one of the heads started cutting my forearm.

Dave, I admire your optimism, but I also don't think there's any way you'll get your motor out in two hours. Think of all the thoroughly stuck bolts from those 77,000 miles -- just spraying them all with PB will take time. Not to mention that taking things apart is usually easier than putting them back together in a manner that makes the car still work right.

Maybe you could buy some cams like you want, make an appointment to have the gaskets replaced and the cams swapped, and that way get a nice extra bonus out of the money you're spending. I would think if you scheduled in advance with someone reputable, you might only be out of a car for a couple of days. Worth it IMO for the couple hundred bucks you MIGHT save doing it all yourself (on your third floor balcony).
ScoobArmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB 00 or 01 2.5rs digitalphotographer Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 03-06-2008 10:04 AM
00 or 01 2.5 rs for project car.... ASHLEELOVE Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 05-17-2006 09:52 PM
Gauging Interest. 99 2.5RS motor for sale soon 992.5RS Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 4 02-10-2005 05:52 PM
01 2.5RS Coupe for sale johnb Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 11 10-04-2003 05:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.