Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack
|01-09-2006, 03:31 PM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2005
02 Impreza RS 2.5L
procedure for removing rear wheel bearing
i plan on replacing my rear wheel bearings on my 95 impreza 1.8 L AWD. they are humming, and need replaced. i wanted to know if there are any online procedures for doing this?
|01-09-2006, 04:25 PM||#2|
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: "They eat fish soaked in lye"Vehicle:
1996 Gutted, built
XP class Impreza L
You will need:
small punch- 5mm works
decent sizd hammer
breaker bar, impact wrench, or a friend with really big muscles
a 15-50 Ton press with tools for bearing removal
needle nose pliers
possibly a gear puller
something to hang the brake caliper off of while changing the bearing
a torque wrench to put everything back together- 25-200 ft-lb range
2 inner seals
1 outer seal
1 rear bearing
1 new axle nut
1. Take everything apart until you are left with the hub and carrier in your hand.
2. Remove the rear seals from the carrier.
3. Use the needle nose pliers to remove the snap ring. If you can't see it- it's just covered with grease.
4. Press the hub out of the front side if the carrier.
5. Press the bearing out the back side of the hub.
6. Press the new bearing into the carrier.
7. Press the old outer race off the hub.
8. Remove the old outer seal and replace it with the new one.
9. Press the hub (with new seal installed) into the carrier and bearing. Don't press it in too far, 75% of the way is good enough.
10. Replace the snap ring and two inner seals.
11. Put everything back together. Torque as follows:
carrier to strut bolts- 130 ft-lbs
lateral links to carrier bolt (the long one on the bottom)- 100 ft-lbs
trailing link bolt- 85 ft-lbs
Caliper bracket bolts- 40 ft-lbs
Axle nut- 158 ft- lbs
lug nuts- 60-70 ft-lbs
12. Once you have it torqued- use the punch and press in the end of the axle nut where the notch in the axle is to keep it from rotating.
13. I think you are done at this point. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|question about rear wheel bearing removal..||[email protected]||General Community||2||03-23-2009 06:05 PM|
|Help! >< ,02 rear wheel bearing remover puller tool||bon1210||Brakes, Steering & Suspension||2||03-27-2008 04:30 PM|
|Anyone know a good place to get a rear wheel bearing replaced for a good price||evoq007||New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC||13||06-30-2006 07:22 AM|
|WTB: Front and Rear Wheel Bearing for 2004 Sti||NotoriousD||Private 'Wanted' Classifieds||1||04-26-2006 12:45 PM|
|last request for advice for rear wheel bearings... i promise||psyber_0ptix||Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC||8||03-20-2005 11:29 AM|