|06-10-2006, 10:32 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2001
Another Mountain Biking Thread!!!
Right now I ride a near stock 2004 Rockhopper.
- A1 aluminum frame
- Manitou Six 80-100 mm travel fork
- Shimano Alivio shifter/brake combo
- Shimano Alivio Front Derailleur
- Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur
- Pretty basic entry level stuff as with the rest of the stuff above
- Shimano SPD clipless pedals (only not stock item)
A friend has offered to sell his built bike to me for $1500.
- 2004 Specialized Enduro S-Works frame ( )
- Specialized XC handlebars
- Hayes HFX 9 Carbon hydraulic disk brakes
- Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur
- Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
- Manitou Minute 2 Fork (130mm travel)
- Sram trigger shifters
- Other pretty decent stuff
I started riding in 2004. The last couple months, I've been feeling like the bike is the bottleneck of what I can do. I've been doing a lot rougher stuff that would be a lot more fun with better brakes and suspension. What I've been riding has also got me thinking that a full suspension would be nice. Hence the Enduro.
I figure I could upgrade the rockhopper w/ a Deore front derailleur, as I've been pretty unhappy with the Alivio piece. Also, I'd really like to get disk brakes (Avid Juicy 5) as I end up riding in the wet a lot and the v-brakes just don't seem to have enough bite a lot of times. I also think my ride would be much improved with a better front fork. It was fine for the early days, but the stuff I'm riding now seems to cater to an air sprung fork.
Should I save a couple more pennies and jump to far better setup in the S-works or just do the $600 in upgrades to my rockhopper? The bike was only $500 new.
Plan C is to keep riding the hell out of my rockhopper until I break it, make a sad face to my fiancee, and her buy me a new bike (she makes a lot more money than me. )
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|NoVA Mountain Biking Thread. When and where are we riding this week?||mav1c||Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC||1018||09-26-2014 12:20 PM|
|The official mountain biking thread||thechickencow||Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC||28||03-23-2011 12:34 PM|
|NEPA Mountain Biking Thread||tturbotom||Tri-State Area Forum||232||08-06-2008 09:53 PM|
|Official Charlotte area mountain biking thread.||VpointVick||South East Region Forum||11||06-08-2006 03:58 PM|