Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
mbutkus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103713
Default Puddle lights

When my wife ordered her 2006 Tribeca last August (2005) we asked for the puddle lights. When the car was delivered it did not have them (but they added the nice factory floor rubber mats and rear trunk mat) and that broke the price even. The dealer said the lights were a factory option and there were none with the color/options we wanted unless we waited for a few months.
Oh well. Then a few weeks ago we waited at the dealer to have the liftgate struts replaced (a recall, but guess what - the new ones don't hold the back up either) and the tire pressure light was always on (they fixed it for 2 days - it's back on all the time again). I saw in their "parts" area dealer installed Puddle Lights ! Asking the wife she said to check it out. The dealer wanted almost $400 installed. Nice but no way... So on line I go and www.SubaruGenuineParts.com has them for $150. Took me about 2 hours to install them in 45 degree weather. Crummy B&W copy of the instructions but it shows you what you need to do. They are original Subaru parts, power hooks right up to a plug behind the well wheel (that's the hardest part of the install). Easy install but you need a sharp utility knife or something to cut out 4 small rectangles. Also two small sticky foam strips that replace ones on the body by the well wheel, the copy don't show that well. They prevent water from coming down the side of the body into the side molding. Comes with stainless steel screws and replacement side clips, NOT the well wheel clips that can easily break. Looks real NICE at night when you lock and unlock the car. . .and we're over 50 so it's not a kid thing. They help in finding your Tribeca against all the other Tribecas in the lot. Everything looks factory, no problems putting it back together. The fender clips are the problem. Need to turn in the wheel to get working room. No replacement clips and you need to hold the outside ring and turn the inside phillips screw to get them released. The plastic "screw" strips easily. Then with needle nose pliers pull them out. That's where I snapped a top edge. Otherwise
mbutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Tup
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129133

Just installed them myself a couple of weeks ago. I agree they look great. I also took advantage of the excellent directions at scooby mods:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6648

You have to register to see the pics but Peaty has much better directions and pictures than the manual.

I also notice they are made in Canada

Installing them a second time would take far less time. The dealer charging that much would be making a lot of profit!!
Tup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122994

They are indeed nice, in the snow and ice here it's great to see what you are stepping in
scot3818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red

I've been very happy with the Puddle Lights since I've installed them. I really think they serve a useful function lighting the area, not just a bling thing. One side note. Even though I have the OEM mudflaps (if you can call them that) I noticed snow boogers* form on the front puddle lamp after driving around for a bit. It builds up enough to almost cover the lens.

Peaty

*The snow/slush/ice that sticks to the car and falls off in the garage and makes a sandy mess when it melts. I try to kick them off before I pull in the garage if I can.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Tup
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
I've been very happy with the Puddle Lights since I've installed them. I really think they serve a useful function lighting the area, not just a bling thing. One side note. Even though I have the OEM mudflaps (if you can call them that) I noticed snow boogers* form on the front puddle lamp after driving around for a bit. It builds up enough to almost cover the lens.

Peaty

*The snow/slush/ice that sticks to the car and falls off in the garage and makes a sandy mess when it melts. I try to kick them off before I pull in the garage if I can.
"Snow boogers"

Yeah, I noticed that my Tribeca developed some of these as well...but I was playing some in a parking lot trying to get a feel for the Tribeca in snow....so that didn't help.

The puddle lights get lots of attention....nice choice in colors....and made in Canada
Tup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
nycb9
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 110054
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post

....nice choice in colors....
The puddle lights come in different colors?! Please to explain.

Thanks...Joe
nycb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
hawker800mech
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 53923
Vehicle:
2013 Legacy Limited

I'm sure they come in one color.

The puddle lights are my favorite part of the car. Mine came with it, but I would have done it regardless. Most likely myself, too.
hawker800mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red

yes they are just whiteish blueish LED's, no colours.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote