Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Perfect timing, I had just logged on to reply.

Ok here we go.

First pic is of the parts I got together to do the deed. The parts on the left that are painted gray are the old parts. I sandblasted them and hit them with some paint.

New parts are to the right and bottom.

The PNs there are:

901000169 OEM shoulder bolt to replace the riveted pin at the front of the u-joint

33022GA081 OEM linkage spring, figured the old one was tired

982-008 AutoZone M8 1.25 self-locking nut

The McMaster PNs are above, again 4 3/4" length bushings for the u-joint and 2 1/2" length bushings for the shifter itself in the car.

Next pic is the close up of the u-joint with the 4 McMaster bushings installed. There is less than .5mm of gap between the two bushings inside the u-joint when theyre installed, so its almost like a continuous sleeve.

Next pics are of the u-joint assembled. The u-joint bushings are 3/8" ID and the u-joint shoulder bolts are 10mm(this is tight to assemble,) so I used a vise to press the shoulder bolts through each side and because of this I assembled the linkage rod to the u-joint also off the car. Because we are using SAE bushings in a metric assembly we are actually adding .5mm more material in the area between the shoulder bolt and the u-joint tubes. The result is an exceptionally tight finished product. You can also see in the pic, the OEM shoulder bolt threads are extending past the nut a bit. As can be seen in the next pic, I remedied that on the grinder to insure maximum clearance once the u-joint is installed. I used a M8 1.25 self-locking nut from Autozone because the AZ nut head is about 1.5mm shorter than the OEM locking nut head and in this area every bit of clearance helps, as a bonus its also a lot less expensive. Also, the locking mechanism on the AZ nut is at the base not at the top like the OEM nut, so I could grind with no remorse.

This last pic is of the joint installed. I dont know if it shows up well in the pic but its tight but there are absolutely no clearance issues.

So there you have it, using another OEM shoulder bolt and the McMaster bushings = good. I am anxious to try it out, based on Josh's experience, it should be durable.

ss

Last edited by subysouth; 04-10-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: said 1/2" where I needed to 3/8"
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote