Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
piglet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160378
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Saabary92xAero
Blue

Default Fried fuses or somethign else? Stupid cigarette lighter socket.

Hello there. I posted this on saab92x.com and no replies within 24 hours, so maybe you guys can help. Consequently this is my problem:
So after my trip to Montreal I arrive to my Toronto home. I am very tired. The car is still idling. Methodically and routinely I unplug my rizr phone from the charger and put it in my pocket. Then innocently unplug the charger itself and the other end of it the metal the usb connection accidentally slips into cigarette lighter socket! As I immediately pull the cord to get out of the socket I hear slight cracking noise under the steering wheel (around where the fuse box is) of what it seems frying my fuses.
Upon first inspection everything seems to work except the phone charger in the cig socket (maybe fried the charger itself or both along with the socket) and my heated seats.
So ok, fuses. Next day I open up my fuse boxes and to my astonishment all fuses are fine. Under the hood fuse box there is nothing remotely dealing with my cigarette lighter socket or heated seats. Then I open up one under my wheel. None of those fuses deal with what my problem is but I check every single one anyway, because I heard the noise from here. Again all of them are fine.
Then I read that there are 2 more fuses, it says "in side the relay" or something. So I take the plastic off to get to those fuses. 10A is fine and 20A that is supposedly responsible for heated seats is fine as well! I replace 20A with a spare one just in case and still nothing.
By now I realized what it seemed like and easy job turned into something way more complicated. I see about 6 relays there. They are all 12V. Since I did hear the noise from there I try to test them out. I pull them out one by one and install them instead of my horn relay under the hood. (Which is also 12V) All of them worked, my horn sounded with all of them. I couldn’t test the red one it had a different connection.
So I am lost here.
I still couldn’t fine the fuse for cigarette lighter socket. Anyone know where this one is?
Is 20A fuse under the plastic on the side of the fuse box under the wheel for my heated seats?
Are there more fuses anywhere else?
If not why would it burn something else and not fuses? Smart design?
Was my way of testing out relays valid?
What else can I do? Any advise?
Anyone else has encountered a similar problem?

My car is 2005 SAABary 9-2x Aero MT. (WRX wagon)

Thank you everyone. Your piglet.

P.S. I searched here and found there is a "fused link" in the back of the socket itself, so thats probably fried, but that doesnt help my heated seats problem.

P.P.S. Stupid cigarette lighter socket. Why is it even there? People hardly smoke in their nice cars. And if they do, have an adapter for the lighter, it so much more often that people use it for electronics. That socket is outdated and needs to go.
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote