Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160874
Default CANBUS flashing/tuning

Any news on its delevelopment yet?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
NSFW
Scooby Guru

Member#: 140444
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Is anyone actively working on this?
What avenues are being explored?
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #3
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Last I have heard was in Enginuity forum that a new cable was being developed.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
gabedude
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10108
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
60Trim TQ monster

Last I heard is that Colby is working on it. He didn't need help on it (reuires new pinout on cable is all I believe, I looked at some of the specs). I'll try and get some status to see if he needs any help. I may have access to a canbus car soon, so this is something I could help with. I just hate disassembly. The CAN protocol is industry standard (API and sample code is available) and I can write a driver to trace Suabru's CAN flash so we can write the bits in the correct order and any quirks like the voltage spike the older models neeed when flashing a new page. I am sure this is what Colby is doing, and working out bugs.

Gabe
gabedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the update.

Will Enginuity support?

Last edited by hsnt; 01-02-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
gabedude
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10108
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
60Trim TQ monster

The plan is to add command line arguments to ECUFlash so you can edit the ROMS (CANFlash or older Flash Methods) in enginuity, press a button and ECUFlash loads and writes the ECU.

As far as the ROM is concerned, it is only the interface that has changed. Once we have a copy of the ROM, the same disasembly will be used (by teacups (merchgod) and anyone else who helps)). The method of flashing the ECU is what has changed (the protocol). It is good because it is industry standard and very easy to reverse engineer the flash method as we have a copy of the Subaru CAN reflash CD which works with any CAN compatible industry standard cable. Those cables are expensive however (like 300 dollars). The FTDI chip probably can still be used so the price of the new Tactrix does not go up. Since it is an industry standard interface (CAN), this opens the door to even more applications. This is all because of USA emission laws enacted in 2007. Dealerships are required to sell flashing CDs for their maps that work with this industry standard for shops that are not owned by a dealership. It really is good news and has potential to expand the project into pretty much every car.

Gabe
gabedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Great news!

Hope all things work out well with Colby and the rest of the team working on this (as well as the Enginuity team).

Last edited by hsnt; 01-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Last edited by hsnt; 01-02-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: sorry...double post ...my pc is slow
Old 01-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
hsnt
Scooby Newbie

Last edited by hsnt; 01-02-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: sorry....double post....my pc is slow