Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #176
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

LOL. Yeah.. I know this personaly. I have seen them fly through the top of the block! LOL

CLark
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #177
litowrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132418
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: #502 GT
Vehicle:
2004 EJ207

Default

are all EJ207 created equal??

i have a v8 STi, EDM...it uses a single scroll turbo unlike the JDM version...

the power diference is 265hp quoted for the EDM and 280ho for the JDM...

but are the engines the same?

thanks!

what can you guys tell me about v8 EJ207 STi motors?
litowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #178
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

Your motor uses small port heads. JDM motors use big port heads.

This subject has been talked about for 6 years. Do some searches and you can learn alot about the differences.

Clark
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #179
litowrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132418
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: #502 GT
Vehicle:
2004 EJ207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Turner View Post
Your motor uses small port heads. JDM motors use big port heads.

This subject has been talked about for 6 years. Do some searches and you can learn alot about the differences.

Clark
id love some help... ive search and search but couldnt find anythig

in general do you think is as goos as the jdm ej207?
litowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #180
fastnoypi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6886
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY01 EJ207 HTA35r
nothing to see, i'm stock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by litowrx View Post
id love some help... ive search and search but couldnt find anythig

in general do you think is as goos as the jdm ej207?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...m+vs+jdm+ej207
fastnoypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #181
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

Your edm motor is not as good as the JDM STI. ITs better then the WRX motor though.

Clark
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #182
wrxsti.l
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156973
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Vehicle:
2002 ADM WRX STi
STi Black/Blue

Default

what about v8 ADM to JDM sti engine internals??
wrxsti.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #183
mxpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132130
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
2002 Ford F-150
Graphite Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_DeWeY View Post
I'll be able to tell you in the not so distant future

please do
mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #184
GeneralTJI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152680
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EVO 8 built 2.4L
Vehicle:
I Parted out WRX
for my Pilots License :)

Default

Where the hell did I get the idea 205 Rods are forged??



I need to start building that empty block very soon! lol
GeneralTJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #185
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

ADM motors are also lower power and small port heads.

CLark
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #186
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

I thinks you guys need to view that "Head Ports Comparison" thread. hahaha

but I come close to the EJ207 with my setup. My 2.2L makes up for the AVCS. My EJ22T is allowed to rev to 7500rpms. I am still running the factory EJ22T oil pump. I run an EVO3-16G-8cm. Plenty of power and great spool. The boost map is set up aggressive with 50% throttle to hit 18psi of boost and slowly up as you roll onto the throttle all the way to 22psi peak with WOT. Really responsive tune with this boost/wastegate setup.

Next up would be an engine rebuild with STi rods, CP pistons, Spec C cams and valve springs. I won't be using AVCS, that's mainly for lower RPM torque. I have 2.2L already.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #187
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

Your motor sounds nice man.

I ran a Spec C V limited EJ207 engine for a few years. With various turbos and intercoolers. Final setup was a GT30R with FMIC with nitrous. That motor was so smooth that you could drive down the highway at 6000 rpm and not even realize you needed to shift. Its hard to explain. Just a super smooth, rev happy, strong motor that pulled to 8000 rpm.

You cant beat a JDM 207 engine. I wish I had mine back over my Current 2.5block with Spec C JDM heads and 40R.

Clark
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #188
Thomas Ruble
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 12694
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Under my car
Vehicle:
02 WRX/JDM EJ207RA
Unabomber Eeee-thug

Default

[quote=GeneralTJI;23023271]Where the hell did I get the idea 205 Rods are forged??



The USDM 2.0 ej205 has forged rods... The pistons are cast and of course the crank is also forged.

My jdm ej207RA motor (serial #ej207dw4ej) came out of an 02' sti limited car. I bought the entire drivetrain also.

The 02' jdm motors have a unique forged piston that was specific for the 02' motor only. The piston top has deep valve reliefs on both sides of the crown.The crankshaft has dual chamfered (beveled) bearing oiling holes and is a beautiful piece. The rods however are very similar in design to the ej205...

My original plan years ago was to stroke the motor (JUN 2.2 kit) but after tearing the motor down and inspecting everything I really liked what I had seen and decided to keep the shortblock as is with only a few tweeks. Since then I have beaten the living poop out of this motor and she still has the same compression #'s as when new.

The big port heads are now modified along with custom grind Tomei AVCS cams and I'm running an AVO 600 turbo with tial 44mm ext. wastegate. She is waiting to be tuned with my new HKS Vpro standalone ecu.

Tom
Thomas Ruble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #189
mxpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132130
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin, Texas
Vehicle:
2002 Ford F-150
Graphite Gray

Default

how about an ej22 on ej207 heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
I thinks you guys need to view that "Head Ports Comparison" thread. hahaha

but I come close to the EJ207 with my setup. My 2.2L makes up for the AVCS. My EJ22T is allowed to rev to 7500rpms. I am still running the factory EJ22T oil pump. I run an EVO3-16G-8cm. Plenty of power and great spool. The boost map is set up aggressive with 50% throttle to hit 18psi of boost and slowly up as you roll onto the throttle all the way to 22psi peak with WOT. Really responsive tune with this boost/wastegate setup.

Next up would be an engine rebuild with STi rods, CP pistons, Spec C cams and valve springs. I won't be using AVCS, that's mainly for lower RPM torque. I have 2.2L already.
mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #190
GeneralTJI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152680
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EVO 8 built 2.4L
Vehicle:
I Parted out WRX
for my Pilots License :)

Default

Quote:
The USDM 2.0 ej205 has forged rods... The pistons are cast and of course the crank is also forged.
Thats what I always understood.. but Clark says otherwise...
GeneralTJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #191
Big_DeWeY
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37078
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: TH Motorsports
Vehicle:
95 L
Blue-ish

Default

id didn't think there were either. I'll find out in a hot second though...brb
Big_DeWeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #192
Hyper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15822
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MOCKBA
Vehicle:
1999 WRB GM6
2.12cc V9 Type RA

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpunk View Post
how about an ej22 on ej207 heads?
I think it'd be awesome
but it's Clark's posts on how smooth the motor is, that I still haven't touched mine and will just run it till it fails (knocks on wood)

and moreover, that thing DOES take some serious beating... I've had tenths of times of 2+ bar trips
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 AM   #193
redrex2002
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 118915
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rochester, NY
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
srp

Default

i am trying to decide wether i want to stay factory or go built

factory option v7 ej207 and 20g

built option ej22 worked over to the 2.35l with v8 heads and gt52 maybe 30r

what do you guys think?
redrex2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #194
litowrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132418
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: #502 GT
Vehicle:
2004 EJ207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Turner View Post
Your edm motor is not as good as the JDM STI. ITs better then the WRX motor though.

Clark
Thanks man... ive done some research about my engine...

i just have a question...do you have any idea of what type of injectors are fitted? are those the normal 565cc side feed pink injectors or these are top feed?

and one very last question and i swear i'll stop asking questions

im planning to upgrade my vf35 turbo next year... i want to get full boost no later than 4000 rpms...

i'll do 750cc deatshwerks injectors and big evo III 16g or td05 18g (td05 cause i have a EWG)

wich one is the better turbo? 16g or 18g...i think the flow almost the same but have no clue about wich of the 2 will make more power

thanks!
litowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #195
fastnoypi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6886
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY01 EJ207 HTA35r
nothing to see, i'm stock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex2002 View Post
i am trying to decide wether i want to stay factory or go built

factory option v7 ej207 and 20g

built option ej22 worked over to the 2.35l with v8 heads and gt52 maybe 30r

what do you guys think?
if you want to enjoy your car right away and have reliable fun go with the v7/20g setup, you wont be dissapointed.

if you have a spare car while getting a built 2.35 powerhouse for more $$ then go for it.

Im currently running a v7 with an PE1820F, its been a great setup but not as happy as it could be on 91pump without injecting water/meth or moving back east with the better fuel.
fastnoypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #196
hally
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 123652
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
2003 STi Built EJ257
APS SR55 380WHP@20psi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Turner View Post
Your motor sounds nice man.

I ran a Spec C V limited EJ207 engine for a few years. With various turbos and intercoolers. Final setup was a GT30R with FMIC with nitrous. That motor was so smooth that you could drive down the highway at 6000 rpm and not even realize you needed to shift. Its hard to explain. Just a super smooth, rev happy, strong motor that pulled to 8000 rpm.

You cant beat a JDM 207 engine. I wish I had mine back over my Current 2.5block with Spec C JDM heads and 40R.

Clark
Clark,
When you say 30R, is that GT3082 or GT3076? What size turbine housing, .63 or .82? What rpm was say 20psi?
hally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #197
verc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41754
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: san ramon
Vehicle:
03 wrx
gt35r, 2.5L, meth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by litowrx View Post
Thanks man... ive done some research about my engine...

i just have a question...do you have any idea of what type of injectors are fitted? are those the normal 565cc side feed pink injectors or these are top feed?

and one very last question and i swear i'll stop asking questions

im planning to upgrade my vf35 turbo next year... i want to get full boost no later than 4000 rpms...

i'll do 750cc deatshwerks injectors and big evo III 16g or td05 18g (td05 cause i have a EWG)

wich one is the better turbo? 16g or 18g...i think the flow almost the same but have no clue about wich of the 2 will make more power

thanks!

Nah dude, you can see the dyno plots from people who run 16g and 18g. 16g's were so overhyped at one point, with numerous people claiming they outflowed STI pinks and crap like that.

I have yet to see a 16g make more power than a vf series given equal conditions however.

18g's seem to make monster power on meth/high octane. I advise you take that route. I know of a guy with an 18g, fmic, meth on his 205 who basically makes the same power as STI w/ gt30r on pump. Pretty insane
verc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #198
jmeltzer4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73094
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
02 Subaru WRX
PSM

Default

Who is selling EJ207's these days? Gruppe-S doens't seem to stock them anymore
jmeltzer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #199
Big_DeWeY
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37078
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: TH Motorsports
Vehicle:
95 L
Blue-ish

Default

Big_DeWeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #200
Clark Turner
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 178047
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
02 WRX STI Spec C
Black

Default

I ran a 3076 with .82 turbine. Full boost around 4000 rpm or so. No letup in power to 7500 rpm or so.

The 205 rods are NOT forged. When you snap one off you can see for yourself

C
Clark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ej207 owner wants opinions adbramsay Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 2 02-26-2011 08:29 PM
Ej207 V6 AndrewFD3 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 10 06-03-2010 05:53 PM
JDM Sti EJ207 V9 crank 75mm or billet crank (K1, Manley) VENDORS ??? L'frise Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 7 06-03-2010 10:24 AM
08 ej207 JDM dual AVCS heads on a built v7 ej207 icev7 Built Motor Discussion 17 02-21-2010 04:21 PM
Ver 8 EJ207 Owners Check In spoolinsuby Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 21 10-17-2005 02:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.