Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
d_now
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177424
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX/STi
'13 WRB STi 5-Door

Default Replacing passenger side doors

Hey,
I totally scraped a pole at a gas station and i'm just curious, how hard is it to swap out an exterior door, the shell portion. I understand that it will be time consuming, but I'm wondering if this can be done with normal tools at home, if the door can just be hinged on or does it have to be balanced and leveled and stuff like that. i really don't want to go through insurance, and i'd rather not take it to a body shop... please lemme know if you know how to do this. thanks!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
d_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
urabus555
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102091
Vehicle:
1994 1.8l Impreza L
Open Class Build w/110hp

???

Ok, Rear door is much easier than the front. If you are doing the front plan on removing the front fender and headlight as well...

(my door removal experience is GC based)

If you have no idea what you are doing... AND want to swap the "shell" [BTW swaping the entire door including internals and windows would be way, Way, WAY easier] I could honestly see this taking you 10+ hours. That includes setting all the door and fender gaps back the way they were.

No "balancing" required... it's more of an allignment...

If you mark the A and B pillars (with a sharpie) where the door hinges sit, you will atleast get 'close' to an allignment.

Front headlight has to come off to get the front fender off - wheel well liner has to come off to get the fender off - fender has to come off to get the front door off...

leave the windows up if you are just rplacing the "shells". If you are replacing the entire door roll the windows down - easier to handle

the wiring unclips inside the car at the bases of the A and B pillars, i.e. no need to remove the door card with the door on the car

warm up all the plastic clips on the fender wit a hair dryer or heatgun befor removing them and you will destroy less of them

mark the fender position, where it meet your upper fender rails under your hood before removing it - easier to allign later

If you are replacing the guts of the doors - I hope you have small hands... and be sure to wear gloves

use thread locker on the nuts that hold the power window (assuming you have power windows) motors to the door

sliding the glass out of the door (and the regulator assembly for that matter) takes some patience but it is possible

door locks are fun...

This should give you an idea of what it takes. I've got the door romoval and reattachment proceedure down to 40 minutes a side, but I've done it about a dozen times... yay for rallying
urabus555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
d_now
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177424
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX/STi
'13 WRB STi 5-Door

hey, thanks a lot. i really appreciate it!!! you wouldn't happen to know if there are any posts showing step by step would you?
d_now is offline   Reply With Quote