Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #51
EGY5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165206
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Columbia, MD
Vehicle:
2006 WRB DPSti
w/ white shoes

Default

wow thanks for sharing man, im definitely gonna keep an eye on the odometer to see when/if they start doing that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EGY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #52
Arctic Penguin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 119532
Join Date: Jul 2006
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default

i have had several kinds of tires with this general 'chevron' tread pattern and one thing is clear

if the alignment isnt SPOT ON
and MOST of the issue is toe being 'off'

they get loud

'0' toe is a must
Arctic Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #53
Frank A
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49979
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD, US
Vehicle:
11 dgm wrx hatch
08 black TA STI

Default

If you trust tire rack comments, almost every reviewer on there with over 5,000 miles complains about the noise on these tires. One data point and I was understandably skeptical. Now I am staying away from these. Too bad because it looks like they have a great combination of wet and dry performance.

Frank
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #54
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

They still remain a fantastic tire in the wet and perform quite nicely...I JUST CAN'T HEAT MYSELF THINK IN THE DAMN CAR!
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #55
coquine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141748
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

Default

I've got these tires too (225/45-17 on the O.Z. Ultraleggera). They are amazing in wet and snow as well as daily dry conditions. But OMG they're friggin loud for sure, I'm takin my car in to get the alignment checked. I really don't mind noise that much, but these are just outrageous especially in the 0-20mph range and 50+ mph area. Great tire though in the all-condition road holding aspect.
coquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #56
Computergeek24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108964
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal - Garden Grove
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus ST
Performance Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquine View Post
I've got these tires too (225/45-17 on the O.Z. Ultraleggera). They are amazing in wet and snow as well as daily dry conditions. But OMG they're friggin loud for sure, I'm takin my car in to get the alignment checked. I really don't mind noise that much, but these are just outrageous especially in the 0-20mph range and 50+ mph area. Great tire though in the all-condition road holding aspect.
You sure that it's the tire? I just got a set and they are MUCH quieter than the Potenza RE950's that I had before...
Computergeek24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #57
jim1969
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34877
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT sedan

Default

mine are still quiet. I have about 6K miles on them.
jim1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #58
phoenix_wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98532
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A hockey rink
Vehicle:
na B-Wing
rebel red

Default

anyone else? I too am due to replace the 92 and cant decide. Thought they looked pretty good, but I am not so sure any more.
phoenix_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #59
EVOIXGSR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 150898
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2006 Evo IX GSR
Tarmac Black

Default

Very stable when flying around hairpins sideways. As far as all-seasons go, you really can do no better.
EVOIXGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #60
TedMeyer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57414
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
Silver. Now w/ 100% 18G!

Default

As noted early in the thread, I put these on my wife's Mazda 3s -- they were toast in 9 months (serious cupping, and they're at the wear bars with about 9K on them), plus the sidewall is blowing out on one (though I have to say the wife has a tendency to run over big rocks on the passenger side for some reason -- she destroyed on of her 550s w/ just a few thousand miles that way). The noise was horrible after 5K as noted elsewhere. We had a very crappy experience with the Goodyears -- never again. Gonna switch her over to the Bridgestone 019's, or else go with separate summer/winter tires (maybe a 452s and Haakas).

Last edited by TedMeyer; 08-03-2008 at 11:59 PM.
TedMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #61
garretts77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131498
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

I just wanted to post a positive (at least so far) review for these tires. I have had them for 7k and they are still quieter than my stock re92's. And as for performance, they are night and day over the 92's.These are my first replacement on the WRX, but I am no stranger to tire upgrades on previous cars. I have Ecsta MX's, ES100's, Parada Spec II, Azenis, etc... I am not going to say that these grip like Azenis, but they are pretty good for an all season. I went on a 6 hour drive up coastal Hwy 1 yesterday following my buddy in his S2000 on CR suspension and 225/255 Azenis. I was hanging right in there with him. Now I can't comment on long term yet, I have only had for a couple of months and about 7k miles, but so far I am very happy...
garretts77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #62
phoenix_wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98532
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A hockey rink
Vehicle:
na B-Wing
rebel red

Default

I have been scared away by some of the reviews - I am going to go with Toyo Proxes 4, seems like a better way to go.
phoenix_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #63
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

OK, so I got these OFF my car today because I simply could not stand them anymore. I had 23000 miles on them and they still had PLENTY of life left in them..but despite rotating them every ~3000 miles and regular alignments and balancing they had cupped so badly I could not stand it. The slight growl that I did not mind at around 20 mph before had turned into an unreal grinding sound that could be felt through the steering wheel and into your seat. Any sort of conversation while the car was in motion at a reasonable level was clearly out of the question...I felt I should likely have had hearing protection to use the car as a commuting vehicle. Had I been driving a monster truck with 35" tires this would have been an acceptable trade off....my WRX is not a monster truck.

Performance wise they still did well in the rain and dry but the confidence level in them was so far down because it was impossible to tell what the road was doing under them with all the vibration. Basically, it was impossible to explore the limits of the car because I had NO confidence in the tires. They gave no communication as to what was going on other than GRIND GRIND GRIND RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE. This isn't the the feedback you are generally looking for out of a high performance tire. I think I actually got less rumble going over railroad tracks.

Today I switched to Bridgestone RE 960 and the ride back to my office was revolutionary...I could hear the radio again. Those wheel bearings I thought were bad...aren't. Those wheels I was sure must be bent....aren't.

In short Goodyear....
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #64
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

Wow

That is not good.

Krzys

PS At least you have decent tires now.
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #65
garretts77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131498
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Crazy... Mine are still great. I am at 12,000 miles. No increase in noise or vibration. I rotate front to back at every oil change. Wear looks good and even... I don't know what to say. I commute 85 miles each way and they are quieter than the stockers ever were...
garretts77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #66
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
OK, so I got these OFF my car today because I simply could not stand them anymore. I had 23000 miles on them and they still had PLENTY of life left in them..but despite rotating them every ~3000 miles and regular alignments and balancing they had cupped so badly I could not stand it. The slight growl that I did not mind at around 20 mph before had turned into an unreal grinding sound that could be felt through the steering wheel and into your seat. Any sort of conversation while the car was in motion at a reasonable level was clearly out of the question...I felt I should likely have had hearing protection to use the car as a commuting vehicle. Had I been driving a monster truck with 35" tires this would have been an acceptable trade off....my WRX is not a monster truck.

Performance wise they still did well in the rain and dry but the confidence level in them was so far down because it was impossible to tell what the road was doing under them with all the vibration. Basically, it was impossible to explore the limits of the car because I had NO confidence in the tires. They gave no communication as to what was going on other than GRIND GRIND GRIND RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE. This isn't the the feedback you are generally looking for out of a high performance tire. I think I actually got less rumble going over railroad tracks.

Today I switched to Bridgestone RE 960 and the ride back to my office was revolutionary...I could hear the radio again. Those wheel bearings I thought were bad...aren't. Those wheels I was sure must be bent....aren't.

In short Goodyear....
I can only guess that you have a suspension or alignment issue and improper toe adjustement is usually the big culpret with this style of tire.

as close to '0' toe as possible is best

cupping isusually a bad strut or spring
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #67
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

if second set wears funny it will be good indication
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #68
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

toe is dead on 0. I had them re-align it again while I was there....they didn't have to change the toe.

springs are SPT pink wagons.

struts are fine.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #69
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

If the second set wears funny I will be fit to be tied.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #70
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
toe is dead on 0. I had them re-align it again while I was there....they didn't have to change the toe.

springs are SPT pink wagons.

struts are fine.
post your alignment numbers and inflation pressures used

it is also possible that not enough/too much negative camber is causing irregular wear on the inside/outside of the tire causing these issues

some tires are more prone to irregular wear and noise issues due to their design, but cupping/feather edge is usually an alignment issue and/or worn strut or some other suspension component and/or damage

check the strut tops to see if they are distressed in some way

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 11-01-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #71
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Default

10k miles and still going
2 rotations, every 5k miles
PSI kept around 38/36
2 autocross events
Lots of spirited driving
Aggressive cornering
First winter '07-'08, now going onto 2nd for '08-'09
Lowered car about 5k miles ago
Have chassis & suspension mods
No feathering, cupping, irregular wear issues
No noise issues
Excellent dry & wet traction
Good in light snow (they're not snow tires)
Will post again in the spring
For me, it beats having two sets of wheels & tires
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #72
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

I can't find the paper from the alignment shop. But I do remember that it was 0 toe.

I am also anal about tire pressures being 36 front 34 rear and rotations EVERY oil change.

Seeing as how this is such a common problem on tire rack I know it isn't just me...kinda sucks because the tires still had another 30k worth of life.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #73
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
I can't find the paper from the alignment shop. But I do remember that it was 0 toe.

I am also anal about tire pressures being 36 front 34 rear and rotations EVERY oil change.

Seeing as how this is such a common problem on tire rack I know it isn't just me...kinda sucks because the tires still had another 30k worth of life.
ok...toe is fine....what whas the camber???

you may need to alter that to get best results

I think you had too little negative camber and ate the outside edge of the tire which caused this

these cars will eat the hell out of the outside edge of the front tires in a heartbeat without enough negative camber and THAT will cause your noise issue, no doubt

There is a HUGE wives tale circulating that negative camber eats tires.....it CAN but with these cars it is VERY difficult to get that much negative camber and WAY-WAY too many here run WAY too LITTLE negative camber(or have toe issues) and have issues with eating tires/noise.

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 11-03-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #74
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

ok...i went back and got a copy instead of going off what the guy told me.

front camber was -0.7.
rear is -1.4

caster is 3.3 left 2.8 right
toe is -.03 left and .00 right on front total toe = -.03
toe is -.01 left and .01 right on rear total toe -.00

steer ahead -.01
thrust angle -.02

should I go back and try and get more camber? or try and get them to get the toe exactly closer to .00?

I would rather get this sorted NOW so I don't eff a new set of tires.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #75
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
ok...i went back and got a copy instead of going off what the guy told me.

front camber was -0.7.
rear is -1.4

caster is 3.3 left 2.8 right
toe is -.03 left and .00 right on front total toe = -.03
toe is -.01 left and .01 right on rear total toe -.00

steer ahead -.01
thrust angle -.02

should I go back and try and get more camber? or try and get them to get the toe exactly closer to .00?

I would rather get this sorted NOW so I don't eff a new set of tires.
ding-ding-ding-ding-dong

you just solved your noise mystery

not enough negative camber


...and maybe a bit much in the back


and once those tires are worn that way...they are done
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S: BRAND NEW Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 225/45/17 DrnknZag NWIC Private Classifieds 1 12-10-2008 02:08 PM
F/S 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season omegax Wheels/Tires 5 03-24-2008 06:46 AM
F/S 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season omegax Tri-State Area Private Classifieds 16 03-11-2008 03:25 PM
Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season Reviews EVOIXGSR Tire & Wheel 2 12-11-2007 11:17 AM
New: Goodyear Eagle F1 ALL-SEASON Eyedoc Orlando Tire & Wheel 5 07-07-2007 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.