Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Eatoniashoprat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143416
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1971 Super Beetle
EJ20g Platinum Grey

Default EJ22 ECU what years

Hi, I have a EJ22 from a 1998 impreza outback sport engine in my 1969 vw bus. I've driven it for 55000km with no major problems. I'm having some issues now and I'm 99% sure the ecu is pooched. When I follow the diagnostic steps in the subaru manual I always get to step "replace ecu". UNLESS the IAC and TPS just aren't set correctly.

Anyway, the ECU says 'O4' on it, does anyone know what year/model car this ecu came in so I can find one and try it?

SYMPTOMS & DIAGNOSES, for those interested

For the record I have a VSS 'simulator' hooked up, basically a 555 timer circuit telling the ecu I'm cruising all the time so I don't get the rev limit at 3500 rpm.

Sometimes when starting (warm or cold) and when the rpms fall (come to stop) the engine goes into a wierd mode where it sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders, a simple off/on with the key clears it up. Also when going down the highway, the engine dies at a certain interval depending on how fast you're going, 60 mph about every 10 minutes, 70 mph, about every ~6, etc. but, to get it going again all you have to do is completely let your foot off the gas and then get back on it again. If you just back off a bit it stays dead but going all the way off gets it going again. I suspect it may be a problem with the VSS since sometimes it idles very low (as if it was getting to VSS signal) and sometimes it idles at a reasonable rpm.

I just had the motor apart doing head gaskets and timing belt so no vacuum leaks, IAC is clean, I've tried other TPS's and MAFs. I get code P1507. Things I haven't tired yet are going through every wire from sensor to ECU to ensure no breaks.

Mike
Eatoniashoprat is offline   Reply With Quote