Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
dousbon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115240
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Default 2006 WRX: P2444 Secondary Air Pump Stuck On

So I got my first check engine light since i've owned my 06 WRX Wagon. Cruise light flashing. My friend's ScanGauge read only one OBD II Code:

P2444 - the Secondary Air Pump 1 Stuck On B1

We cleared the code just for kicks to see if it would appear again. It did immediately. From what I've read from other posts (which I don't remember right now), the Secondary Air Pump is merely an emissions part that functions for only 90 seconds at startup.

"The turbocharged and intercooled WRX engine nudges from 227 to 230 horsepower, and torque climbs dramatically from 217 lb-ft to 235 lb-ft. This was accomplished by increased displacement, increased compression ratio, redesigned combustion chambers, redesigned intake manifold and deleted pre-catalyst (replaced in function by a secondary air pump). The increase in compression ratio and the combustion-chamber redesign also contribute to improved emissions, with the turbo engine meeting Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) regulations." See SOURCE.

I've also read that it is not a critical component and has been removed with block plates installed without any severe repercussions (aside from codes reappearing). Which is somewhat a relief, in that the part is $600+ (If this is the secondary air pump, there is a main air pump, I don't know which one this is, See price HERE). Even then, I want to get some peace of mind and get to the bottom of this, rather than discount it as trivial.

Picture's not that great, but here is the location of secondary air pump (F127), and relay (F129):

That being said, what's your experience/theories on this if any. Some things that have been going through my mind:
  • While I haven't had any late experience with my battery running dead, I'm assuming that even though the code says the pump is stuck ON all the time, it shuts off when I take the key out of ignition.
  • If it is stuck on, could it be the relay? I've heard check the fuses, which couldn't hurt, but if the fuse went out, the air pump would not be stuck on?
  • One post says, "Either something is blocking the air flow, the hose is disconnected, or it is unplugged." SOURCE
  • Anything I have missed before taking it into the shop? (My theory is go through the cheapest means to fix this until it's beyond my tools and knowledge.)

If I do have to take the air pump out, doesn't seem that difficult, it may be similar to STI, see HERE.

Thanks,
Al
dousbon is offline   Reply With Quote