Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
mmario4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211333
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Blue

Default Lost my ring lands, what should I do next?

Just got back from my tuner, they did a compression and leakdown test.
They found 150, 155, 148, and 68psi for cylinders 1-4 compression test. And the leakdown test showed 68% leaking into the crankcase.

I have some options for what to do next but would like some direction advice.
Its 2009 WRX was tuned stage 2 with 302whp, and 326ft/lbs stock 5spd.

I was trying not to do any more mods because I wanted to trade in for a 2012 STi but now the engine needs work and this is my daily driver. I only work part time and I am a full time student to my budget is under $8k to get my daily driver back. What do I do, a stock short block replacement? Which is the cheapest option. or do I go with a forged piston and maybe forged rods short block and consider keeping the car? I really wanted the STi so I could get the really good limited slip and nicer suspension and stronger transmission for eventual 450whp goals.

Now with the engine failure I'm beginning to consider STi swap ideas and just keeping the car.

My ultimate goal is 450whp +/- with the driving characteristics of the STi meaning, good limited slip and balance for driving hard. The problem I had with the WRX is that, I burn the hell out of the tires because it basically has open differentials. I plan to have a shop do all the work and I can not exceed 7500-8k budget. Do I do a simple repair and save for the STi? or do I start going crazy with the 09 wrx to eventually get my STi?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mmario4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
TurboQueef
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86700
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver/Black,11.44@123.60

Hi,

I was in your exact position a couple of years ago... I ended up going with an Axis / RAW Performance build... forged pistons, cams etc...

I am very happy with my set up... I just pulled the engine to refresh it after 21500 miles. Everything looked very good.. I had a bit of piston slap that was bugging me but other than that the build held up fine.

I am now having the builder refresh things plus head work and aftermarket rods.

If you are the type of person who pays attention to details and maintains your toys... and has a responsible tuner... I highly recommend a built motor. You won't believe the feel of 450 to the wheels...

The only concern I would have is your transmission... actually, I don't know if Subaru fixed the WRX weak trans problem by the time they built your 09 but if they did not... you may be better going with an STi... then building the he!! out of it

Below is a video of the tear down of my 21500 mile built STi engine:

Good luck...
TurboQueef is offline   Reply With Quote