Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Jefe009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 197824
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Outbk STi SOLD!
Ugly white and gray

Default Outback STi

I had never seen this done, and I wanted ej257 power with lots of clearance. So here goes:

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok the important stuff. Built ej257 w/forged pistons. Everything brand new except for the headers, exhaust manifold, wiring harness, ecu, which came from a 02 WRX. TMIC and vf39 sourced used from nasioc. Stock STi exhaust, 07 WRX transmission.

Haven't done a dyno tune, but the boost is maxed out. Probably puts down around 290 HP at the wheels.

Of course, KYB GR2s and Kings.

Next up? Probably lots of interior stuff to kinda mimic the STi interior. Needs to be all custom, as none of the STi stuff will fit the Gen1 Leggy body. New turboback exhaust. BRAKES. For now, I'm pretty happy to be up and running. Tomorrow I'm taking it on some forest service roads for the first time. Time to get sideways!

Thanks to John at Outback Auto in Auburn, WA. Did the swap and put up with my pushy ass. Bring your subies there! Happy trails kids... Jefe

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jefe009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
OCRentAPopo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223094
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy OB 5MT
Silver

Great build. I have a '97 Legacy Outback with head gasket issues and I've been thinking about swapping in a WRX or STi drivetrain. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the drivetrain swap cost?

Oh and FYI, the STi front seats will bolt right in. I have '05 WRX front seats in my Outback. As for the back and doorcards.... good luck.
OCRentAPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Jefe009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 197824
Vehicle:
1998 Outbk STi SOLD!
Ugly white and gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
Great build. I have a '97 Legacy Outback with head gasket issues and I've been thinking about swapping in a WRX or STi drivetrain. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the drivetrain swap cost?

Oh and FYI, the STi front seats will bolt right in. I have '05 WRX front seats in my Outback. As for the back and doorcards.... good luck.
No prob -- cost totally depends on what you want to do and how lucky you get with sourcing used parts.

I say, go straight to John at Outback Auto. He'll set you straight on what your options are costwise.

I paid about $10K for my drivetrain, installed. But I have lots of 'extras' that you don't necessarily need. (Forged pistons, etc.) I'm happy to answer any other questions you have, and could make some recommendations on what I would have done differently had I known then what I know now. LMK if you need more info.
Jefe009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
OutbackAuto
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 181756

Free BUMP for Jefe!
OutbackAuto is offline   Reply With Quote