Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default Dyno Tune: Stock 2011 WRX Stage 1

Event: Pro Tune
Location: Cobb Surgeline
Car: Stock 2011 WRX 5-Door
Tuner: Tim Bailey
Fuel: 92 pump
Elevation: ~300ft
Tires: Blizzak WS70 + 16x7.5 Sport Editions (winter setup)
Weather: 55degF, Wet, Cloudy
Modifications: Bone Stock

Wanted to throw this on here for anyone curious about what a conservative Stage 1 pro-tune looks like on a stock 2011 WRX. All of the 2011 threads I've followed have had at least one mod.

I made the drive over to Surgeline who has one of the best reputations in the area--I was not disappointed. The quality of their service, facility, personnel was phenomenal.

This is a dd car and I asked for a conservative tune. This plot shows the map I plan to use most of the time compared to the stock map:


They also did some hotter maps shown here:



I meant to post in the newbs forum, but noticed most people got moved here anyways--hope this helps others wanting to start with a stock stage 1 tune.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
reaper702
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 191827
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sin City
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default

very nice numbers! i remember the smile on my face when i went stage 1 too lol.
reaper702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Wow. Numbers look great for Stage 1. Surprised torque kept increasing so much even up to 18psi.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
mappyfrappy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 259548
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OH
Vehicle:
2011 STI
OBP

Default Vs STI?

I'm fairly new to all of this. Is it just the aggressiveness of the tune/boost psi that determines peak hp/torque?


I just got my 2011 STI tuned yesterday (with AEM CAI and Cobb DP/Accessport, stock everything else) and am at 289 hp/325 torque @ 17 psi. I did ask for a conservative tune and maximum drivability. Are these normal numbers? I thought so but when I see WRX tunes like this it makes me wonder.


Thanks,
mappyfrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

17psi is a little on the low side for a Stage 2 car, most 2011's are running 19-20psi with just a tune, no other mods.
What kind of gas do you have?
Do you have a 4 door or 5 door?
The 5 door catback seems to flow less than the 4 door from what I have seen but I cannot confirm this.

Last edited by mapleleaf; 02-16-2011 at 09:21 AM.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
b16b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247157
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kentucky
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Satin white pearl

Default

Couple more week until I get a stage 1 tune on my 2011, and this only makes the wait harder. Props on the tune man :daps:
b16b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappyfrappy View Post
I'm fairly new to all of this. Is it just the aggressiveness of the tune/boost psi that determines peak hp/torque?

I just got my 2011 STI tuned yesterday (with AEM CAI and Cobb DP/Accessport, stock everything else) and am at 289 hp/325 torque @ 17 psi. I did ask for a conservative tune and maximum drivability. Are these normal numbers? I thought so but when I see WRX tunes like this it makes me wonder.

Thanks,
What did your car dyno when it was stock (on the same dyno). You can't compare numbers to numbers. At best you can compare the % change. Assuming your baseline run was in the 230-240hp range, your numbers sound just about right for a 17psi "Stage 2" tune.

FYI, the 09+ WRX and 08+ STI put down very similar dyno numbers (including stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2). I'd expect a Stage 2 09+ WRX to put down pretty much the same power that your car does. So even if your car was tuned on the same dyno as the OP, I would still think your numbers are both reasonable.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper702 View Post
very nice numbers! i remember the smile on my face when i went stage 1 too lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16b View Post
Couple more week until I get a stage 1 tune on my 2011, and this only makes the wait harder. Props on the tune man :daps:
Thanks everyone, it was well worth it!

Surgeline did another 2011 with just a downpipe here and those numbers are amazing for that one mod. As Tim gently put it to me, "once you get unclogged you'll see even more improvement."

I wasn't 100% sure I'd go Stage 2 right away but after this, I'll be back to Surgeline this summer to 'unclog' with a Cobb db and SPT exhaust.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Wow. Numbers look great for Stage 1. Surprised torque kept increasing so much even up to 18psi.
Xluben, I've been following you on your upgrades.
In fact, I picked the Cobb db and SPT exhaust from your vids and feedback. Thanks for paving the way....
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
MSMStannyl
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267225
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 4DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper702 View Post
very nice numbers! i remember the smile on my face when i went stage 1 too lol.
Hmm and that's 92 Octane?? We run 93 here. Guess that should be good for a couple extra hp, right?
MSMStannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Thanks everyone, it was well worth it!

Surgeline did another 2011 with just a downpipe here and those numbers are amazing for that one mod. As Tim gently put it to me, "once you get unclogged you'll see even more improvement."

I wasn't 100% sure I'd go Stage 2 right away but after this, I'll be back to Surgeline this summer to 'unclog' with a Cobb db and SPT exhaust.
It's making the same power as your tune only car with a DP, what is amazing about that?
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
It's making the same power as your tune only car with a DP, what is amazing about that?
His torque is higher at the 16psi map I plan to use.

Last edited by KWIL; 02-16-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarity
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
b16b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247157
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kentucky
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Satin white pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
His torque is higher at the 16psi map I plan to use.
Would you know the exact numbers? I'm curious to see how big the difference is with a tune and a DP.
b16b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default

Here is a link to the graph showing mine overlayed with his his climb is a bit steeper (not an exact psi comparison, he didn't have a 16 map).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16b View Post
Would you know the exact numbers? I'm curious to see how big the difference is with a tune and a DP.

You can look at Cobb's tuning database to see full results here, that's all I have. We did some overlays of his results to mine in the shop.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
b16b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247157
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kentucky
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Satin white pearl

Default

Thanks KWIL!
b16b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Xluben, I've been following you on your upgrades.
In fact, I picked the Cobb db and SPT exhaust from your vids and feedback. Thanks for paving the way....
Awesome thanks!

I believe COBB has made it standard practice to limit boost on the high end with the stock TMIC. That is why Stage 2 setups don't really make much more peak power, but the torque curve is much better, even at lower boost.

Stage 2 was a big jump to my butt dyno. Definitely worth it.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
2011 STI SEDAN
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271872
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI SEDAN
Gray Metallic

Default

Good day guys...

I recently bought a 2011 STI sedan. It is my goal to keep things as stock as possible (for warranty). I was just wondering for those who have the COBB stage one flash..."What was your driving impressions after the flash?"
2011 STI SEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Boosted WRX STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116731
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Danbury, Storrs, or Meriden CT
Vehicle:
2003 KB Cobra
Black

Subaru Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
It's making the same power as your tune only car with a DP, what is amazing about that?
I didn't see the difference at first until I looked at the overlays. Its not only about peak numbers, its the area under the curve. Look at the difference in midrange power and torque compared to KWIL's stock downpipe. Pretty impressive for one mod.

Nice numbers OP, I think in terms of efficiency, your car will certainly benefit from doing a catless (or catted) downpipe.
Boosted WRX STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted WRX STi View Post
I didn't see the difference at first until I looked at the overlays. Its not only about peak numbers, its the area under the curve. Look at the difference in midrange power and torque compared to KWIL's stock downpipe. Pretty impressive for one mod.

Nice numbers OP, I think in terms of efficiency, your car will certainly benefit from doing a catless (or catted) downpipe.

Impressive if it was a mod other than a DP. Maybe the stock IC is why they are holding it back as there is a lot more available on the table with a DP than what is reflected in that graph.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
It's making the same power as your tune only car with a DP, what is amazing about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted WRX STi View Post
I didn't see the difference at first until I looked at the overlays. Its not only about peak numbers, its the area under the curve. Look at the difference in midrange power and torque compared to KWIL's stock downpipe. Pretty impressive for one mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
Impressive if it was a mod other than a DP. Maybe the stock IC is why they are holding it back as there is a lot more available on the table with a DP than what is reflected in that graph.
I answered this above. Here is my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I believe COBB has made it standard practice to limit boost on the high end with the stock TMIC. That is why Stage 2 setups don't really make much more peak power, but the torque curve is much better, even at lower boost.

Stage 2 was a big jump to my butt dyno. Definitely worth it.
I actually went and looked up both plots, and added the boost line to the plot. It makes it clear that my guess from above is what actually happened. The downpipe allows COBB to make the same peak power with considerably less boost pressure.



You can see that the peak boost is a hair higher, and has the expected response. Then in the higher RPM's the tune reduces boost to approx. 1.5psi less than the Stage 1 tune, and it is still putting out just as much power. I posted about this a while ago and COBB did confirm that heatsoak issues are what limits the Stage 2 power. If you look on their site, they do have Stage 2 runs with the boost pushed higher, and they do make quite a lot more peak power, but it probably won't be reliable without a new TMIC.

So with a downpipe you get your choice of:

-the same power, more torque, and presumably greater reliability (due to less boost)
-significantly more power, way more torque, and push everything else to the max

If you choose the second one your TMIC and BPV will be at the verge of blowing apart, the injectors will be maxed out, and the car could knock if heatsoak kills the IC efficiency enough. Generally it would be better to go with a safe Stage 2 and enjoy the extra torque, and lower stress on the turbo. If and when you upgrade the TMIC, BPV, and injectors, you will be ready for plenty more power. If you go this route you'd still need the downpipe anyways, so you might as well get rid of the biggest restriction right off the bat.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
bonky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220806
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Dirty jersey
Vehicle:
2004 Honda
S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappyfrappy View Post
I'm fairly new to all of this. Is it just the aggressiveness of the tune/boost psi that determines peak hp/torque?


I just got my 2011 STI tuned yesterday (with AEM CAI and Cobb DP/Accessport, stock everything else) and am at 289 hp/325 torque @ 17 psi. I did ask for a conservative tune and maximum drivability. Are these normal numbers? I thought so but when I see WRX tunes like this it makes me wonder.


Thanks,
sounds right to me. I made similar numbers on 20psi on aem cai and cobb dp.
bonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #22
scooby24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 56414
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Olathe, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT 5MT
PSM

Default

Very impressive, did you drive to surgeline to get it protuned?
scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
KWIL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40848
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
5-Door, DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 STI SEDAN View Post
Good day guys...

I recently bought a 2011 STI sedan. It is my goal to keep things as stock as possible (for warranty). I was just wondering for those who have the COBB stage one flash..."What was your driving impressions after the flash?"
I definitely noticed the difference on the drive home. It felt like more power all the way through after the stage 1 tune, where stock seemed to have to "build up" to the power more. Sorry for the newb description.

I'm pretty warranty sensitive too, which is a big reason I'll be sticking with the SPT exhaust for stage 2.

Do it.
It's a decent return for the cost of an AP. Protunes at Surgeline are half-off if you buy the AP at the facility.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
cdoliver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34084
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cleveland,oh
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

I hope they told you to keep an eye on your stock wrx intercooler endtanks. They will come apart at 18+psi after a few miles. Watch the tabs, they will start to get loose.
cdoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
2011 STI SEDAN
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271872
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI SEDAN
Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I definitely noticed the difference on the drive home. It felt like more power all the way through after the stage 1 tune, where stock seemed to have to "build up" to the power more. Sorry for the newb description.

I'm pretty warranty sensitive too, which is a big reason I'll be sticking with the SPT exhaust for stage 2.

Do it.
It's a decent return for the cost of an AP. Protunes at Surgeline are half-off if you buy the AP at the facility.

Thanks I appreciate the response. I "had" a 2004 WRX a few years back. I had a COBB version two AP. But I did and up pipe, down pipe, with Turbo XS all at once. Woke up the car BIG TIME!

I wanted to verify that on a stock STI that a Stage one flash was "felt" and or worth it.
2011 STI SEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 WRX - Stage 2 - COBB Downpipe and SPT Exhaust (VIDEO) xluben General Community 47 01-19-2011 01:32 AM
Stock 2011 WRX Dyno numbers MotorrBoatrr Proven Power Bragging 75 10-26-2010 06:59 PM
STOCK 2011 WRX/STi Coming in September! Evanston Subaru MWSOC Vendor Classifieds 12 09-01-2010 02:39 PM
Dyno Tune: 2.5l wrx+ ATP 3076r Stock location syagbraves7 Proven Power Bragging 9 03-25-2010 04:43 PM
Agile Dyno Day - MY 07 WRX Stage 2 96accord Proven Power Bragging 38 03-07-2008 05:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.