Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #801
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter
Member Sales Rating: (41)
 
Member#: 1800
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Way South Shore MA
Vehicle:
WRX /WRX/Cooper S
awd/awd/fwd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poms302 View Post
Couple questions: Why on earth did you send 17mm nuts for the mid to axleback connection? Maybe I put the bolt in the wrong side, I went back to front with the nut being toward the front of the car. Doesn't matter, either way a 17 mm socket doesn't fit(too close to flange) and a wrench cannot be put on the top nut.

Second question: there was no gasket for the mid to axleback...do I need one or will it not leak without one.
I got my catback last week, still waiting on a few issues before I comment too much. I was able (mostly) to get a socket over the axleback hardware but yeah the holes on the flange are definitely too close to the pipe and not a "standard"
location. This was reinforced by the 3" axleback gasket I received that needed a lot of filing to enlarge the bolt holes to line up with the narrower flange holes. You will need a gasket there, even with the one supplied I could not get it to seal without some gasket goo. Very pleased to have a lift for this install.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #802
Aluma
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 136157
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Edinburg TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Are the 2010 sedan single axlebacks for sale on the website yet? My buddy is dying to order...
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #803
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma View Post
Are the 2010 sedan single axlebacks for sale on the website yet? My buddy is dying to order...
They pay more attention to their Facebook page. Check there or better yet tell your buddy to call Jason.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #804
orangecajun
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 278820
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, Tx
Vehicle:
2010 wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma View Post
Are the 2010 sedan single axlebacks for sale on the website yet? My buddy is dying to order...
Ordered mine last week.
orangecajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #805
olazy
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 263322
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
WRBP

Default

got mine just in time for WBM. honestly, it's pretty darn loud. it may be louder in the car than outside.
olazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #806
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter
Member Sales Rating: (41)
 
Member#: 1800
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Way South Shore MA
Vehicle:
WRX /WRX/Cooper S
awd/awd/fwd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olazy View Post
got mine just in time for WBM. honestly, it's pretty darn loud. it may be louder in the car than outside.
What did you get? My hatch cat back is not loud at all, though it does sound better after 500 miles. With the windows up you can barely hear it, just a bit of extra boxer rumble down low. After that it's drowned out by the drivetrain.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #807
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun

What did you get? My hatch cat back is not loud at all, though it does sound better after 500 miles. With the windows up you can barely hear it, just a bit of extra boxer rumble down low. After that it's drowned out by the drivetrain.
He probably has the sedan version. I also found the hatch one too quiet and ended up getting a turboxs catback and absolutely love it. MUCH louder and no drone on the highway.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #808
olazy
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 263322
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
WRBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun

What did you get? My hatch cat back is not loud at all, though it does sound better after 500 miles. With the windows up you can barely hear it, just a bit of extra boxer rumble down low. After that it's drowned out by the drivetrain.
Yeah like mrkyle said, I have a sedan. I've seen videos of the hatch version, and they sound totally different. Honestly the first 2 days on the car and I considered taking it off because it was so loud in the cabin. The rumble of the boxer is really nice though, so I'm going to leave it on for a few weeks and hope I get use to it.
olazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #809
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

I had mine on my sedan and ended up taking it off. Too loud and raspy. It doesn't sound raspy in the car but outside it does. It is loud inside and just sounds unrefined. Its to ve expexted though. I went with the q300 and it is well worth it. If you skimp on things at least don't skimp on the exhaust. It is a large important piece. Spend the money you wont regret it. Boston motorsports can hook It up on the q300 for the SS tipped for just under $800 shipped.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #810
Decipher
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (11)
 
Member#: 262760
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake in the Hills, ILLnoise
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch Limtd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Unrefined is EXACTLY how I described mine before I sold it.
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #811
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Saving 500 over a q300, it's not that unrefined...
The construction of this 10x better than the invidia and looks 5x better.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #812
olazy
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 263322
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
WRBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Saving 500 over a q300, it's not that unrefined...
The construction of this 10x better than the invidia and looks 5x better.
i must say nameless' build quality is top notch. and honestly, without mufflers the sound is to be expected.
olazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #813
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

I agree with the quality of the workmanship in the nameless. Excellent customer service as well. The sound is as expected and $800 is what you can expect to pay for a 3inch cat back. My q300 flows way better. I am speaking from experience as I've had both. The NP bugged me because it was so loud while other cars would be going the same speed as me, just seemed ridiculous. Its a new car, shouldn't sound raspy IMO.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #814
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
Saving 500 over a q300, it's not that unrefined...
The construction of this 10x better than the invidia and looks 5x better.
The looks of it are obviously of opinion. I personally had the 3.5" NP and it didn't fill the bumper openings. I also didn't like that you could see past the gaps of the tips because there was no muffler anymore. Looked like something was missing (because it was, the mufflers, lol.) Just my opinion.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #815
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

As far as build quality. I am not sure how you could say the q300 is lower quality. The welds are just as nice and it is the same grade SS? I feel they are both well made. The q300 will cost more, (includes mid pipe, polished, larger pipes, etc.) If you buy the NP mid pipe and y pipe when its released you will be close to the q300 cost anyways. Also my opinion though. To each his own.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #816
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRex11

The looks of it are obviously of opinion. I personally had the 3.5" NP and it didn't fill the bumper openings. I also didn't like that you could see past the gaps of the tips because there was no muffler anymore. Looked like something was missing (because it was, the mufflers, lol.) Just my opinion.
Well, how do you quantify this? I've had both... This is my opinion after have had both. The sound that the q300 has isn't worth the 500 extra.

I agree that the NP is what you expect for a mufflerless exhaust.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #817
xabre1200
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 259591
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco, California
Vehicle:
2011 WRX sedan
WR Blue

Default

I sort of like how it sounds unrefined. Reminds me of loud track cars. I love when I shift aggressively and the exhaust pops. It's a WRX after all... not a bimmer.
xabre1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #818
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Well, how do you quantify this? I've had both... This is my opinion after have had both. The sound that the q300 has isn't worth the 500 extra.

I agree that the NP is what you expect for a mufflerless exhaust.
Well, I did buy the q300 for the sound along with performance. Even though you dont get enough performance to justify the $500 being stock, most performance mods you do will equal to more gains from having the more open exhaust. Not to mention it draws attention here in California, I would likely get pulled over for that and then get hit for my tinted windows as well, one ticket (hassle and cost included) will justify the $500 "for me." I also couldnt stand the pop between gears but I know a lot of people do like it and that is fine, just not my thing. I first wanted to work with the NP axelback and get a better Y pipe and then the mid pipe but after adding it all up it just wasnt cost effective (I wouldnt save much in the end from what I could see). and I wasnt sure what sound I would end up with either. Please dont take offense, this is just what I came up with and what works for me.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #819
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabre1200 View Post
I sort of like how it sounds unrefined. Reminds me of loud track cars. I love when I shift aggressively and the exhaust pops. It's a WRX after all... not a bimmer.
, I hear ya, that is why I got the NP originally! A guy honked at me one time cause I didnt move quick enough when my brother was in the car with me. When I took off I kinda rev'd it a lil and my brother said "its like your car just told him to F*** OFF. It was also good for when the lil hondas would downshift and roll up next to me. The look on there face was priceless when I would downshift.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #820
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRex11 View Post
Well, I did buy the q300 for the sound along with performance. Even though you dont get enough performance to justify the $500 being stock, most performance mods you do will equal to more gains from having the more open exhaust. Not to mention it draws attention here in California, I would likely get pulled over for that and then get hit for my tinted windows as well, one ticket (hassle and cost included) will justify the $500 "for me." I also couldnt stand the pop between gears but I know a lot of people do like it and that is fine, just not my thing. I first wanted to work with the NP axelback and get a better Y pipe and then the mid pipe but after adding it all up it just wasnt cost effective (I wouldnt save much in the end from what I could see). and I wasnt sure what sound I would end up with either. Please dont take offense, this is just what I came up with and what works for me.
I am not offended. I try to be as factual as possible... although when you are talking about a non-performance part then we are left to opinions more than factual data. I understand that you don't want to draw more attention to your car with a raspier exhaust, but do you think a four 4" tips doesn't draw as much if not more visual attention to your car? The NP muffler delete is pretty mild compared to the 2002-2007 WRX and STi single exhausts...really. The q300 and/or any Cat Back Exhaust on a turbo car is not a performance part without changing out the downpipe. That is why its not even mentioned on any performance stages (i.e. Cobb stage 2).
I'm not sure about the pop that you guys talk about, maybe it is a stage 2 thing, or I haven't pushed my car hard enough during shifts (yes, if I romp on the gas I see a carbon puff on the windshield of the car behind me).

I'm glad that the q300 works well for you, but I suppose with the exception of someone who needs a different midpipe, the q300 does make a positive exception...although for the rest of us who probably are looking at a stage 1 with a CBE, I still don't believe that the q300 is worth the price of the NP.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #821
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Fair enough. I will add that even though there isn't a tune for the cbe doesn't mean its not a performance part though. Anytime you change any diameter exhaust pipe on a Turbo car its going to change performance on that vehicle whether tuned or not. I do notice my spool up being quicker and the way the Turbo sounds under boost now is ridiculous (in a good way) lol. The difference just isn't enough to require a tune is all. As far as looks I'm sure the 4 inch tips will draw some attention but it is definitely legal and I can fight and win that one.
PearlRex11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #822
Decipher
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (11)
 
Member#: 262760
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake in the Hills, ILLnoise
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch Limtd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
Saving 500 over a q300, it's not that unrefined...
The construction of this 10x better than the invidia and looks 5x better.
Fasho! I'm not trashin on nameless at all. They're making a great product. I just expected a different sounds after all the praise. It is certainly praise-worthy for a muffler delete system, I just think it sounds unrefined when compared to a CBE. That's all. Love nameless and love their product...it's just not for me. I hope you're Still loving your purchase.
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #823
ed10
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (13)
 
Member#: 198026
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville/Fletcher, NC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Nulla Tenaci Invia EstVia

Unhappy

nameless doesn't make anything for an 02
ed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #824
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRex11 View Post
Fair enough. I will add that even though there isn't a tune for the cbe doesn't mean its not a performance part though. Anytime you change any diameter exhaust pipe on a Turbo car its going to change performance on that vehicle whether tuned or not. I do notice my spool up being quicker and the way the Turbo sounds under boost now is ridiculous (in a good way) lol. The difference just isn't enough to require a tune is all. As far as looks I'm sure the 4 inch tips will draw some attention but it is definitely legal and I can fight and win that one.
I'm pretty sure that there is no, nil, nada gains of performance to add a CBE to a stock downpipe. Again, not trying to be an ass... I'm pretty sure that there is a disclaimer on the product that says "for off road use only". I do concede that having a muffler is better than not having one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
Fasho! I'm not trashin on nameless at all. They're making a great product. I just expected a different sounds after all the praise. It is certainly praise-worthy for a muffler delete system, I just think it sounds unrefined when compared to a CBE. That's all. Love nameless and love their product...it's just not for me. I hope you're Still loving your purchase.
I think for the price, there isn't anything that will touch it. Although, like many have said..."I would prefer a more refined sound". I am working on getting a Borla ATAK. The NP really hit the market in a way that no CBE can, providing more rumble without the price of a full CBE. Their product opened up the sound and didn't hurt the pocket. The fact that the product is well built is just a bonus.



I'm saddened that the market for exhausts (quad tipped) has been this slow to react. Companies such as PERRIN and COBB have had these cars for almost a year now without ANY products. Invidia did jump out in many markets first and did offer a solution for many narrow niche markets...They do deserve credit for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed10 View Post
nameless doesn't make anything for an 02
Just make the extra cutout and swap it in.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #825
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.