Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
KUgrad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33615
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza Wagon
210,000 miles

Unhappy Weird starting problem--1993 Impreza

All right, you Subaru experts, give me your ideas on this one.

I own a 1993 Subaru Impreza FWD wagon with 163,500 miles on it. I'm the original owner. I've taken great care of the car and it has served me well.

About a year ago, in the Spring of 2002, I was out running errands one day. It was a nice day, maybe in the 50s or 60s. I turned the car off for maybe 5 minutes while I emptied my recycling bins at the recycling center. When I got back into the car and tried to start it, it would not run. It would start immediately, but would not idle. If I kept my foot on the gas it would run, but the second I took my foot off the gas it would die.

I finally called a tow truck and had it towed to a shop. It was a Saturday afternoon and they couldn't look at it until Monday. When they started it on Monday morning, it started right up. They drove it around with no problem. They performed $80 worth of diagnostic tests, but couldn't find anything wrong. The mechanic said that it might have been some bad gas or something in the fuel filter. He suggested that I run a bottle of Techron through the gas tank about every 3,000 miles.

I've faithfully done the Techron thing all year. The car ran fine all year with absolutely no problems. I even drove it to Colorado and back, putting 2,000 miles on it, with no problems.

Yesterday was a nice day here, in the 50s. Once again I was out running errands. The car was fully warmed up. I turned it off for maybe 5 minutes, and when I went to start it again.... you guessed it. The EXACT thing happened that happened last year. I had it towed to the same shop. It was late in the day and almost time for them to close. And, once again, they didn't try to start it until this morning, and once again, it started and ran fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

KUgrad
KUgrad is offline   Reply With Quote