Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Rymantas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264225
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
WRB

Lightbulb Weird Knock Event during driving 2011 WRX

I've read around and heard that our knock sensors pick up some strange events (ambient noise in engine bay). I have been getting a knock event that was very consistent on the logs. They were always spaced equally apart while driving at highway speed (70 mph to be exact) with cruise control on. The events would happen every 45 seconds or so. I thought maybe I had bad gas at first but as I looked at my logs i began to see a pattern. The knock events always occurred when the AC compressor would kick on. So I tested this by making sure recirc was on, AC was off, and blower was off. I drove 100 miles with no knock. So then I drove another 100 miles (distance to work and home) with the AC on and it knocked every time the AC compressor came on.

I then tried forcing it to happen by randomly turning the AC on and off. It would actually trigger a knock event while moving 2 out of 3 times i would do this.

I will be going through the engine bay and checking to make sure everything with the AC system is snugged up. Has anyone else had occurrences like this?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rymantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
D0nets
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129746
Vehicle:
2007 stg3 WRX
WR Blue

Yea check the engine bay and make sure nothing is loose. Are you running a custom tune or anything? What load and rpm are the knock events at? If they are at really low load, you could modify the Feedback Correction Min Load table.
D0nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Rymantas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264225
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
WRB

Running Cobb OTS Stage 1 93. Occurs at 2800 rpm Highway cruising with cruise control on flat surface.
Rymantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
kabz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351744
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Ok, I worked out that my stock 2013 WRX is doing this. A good chunk of the time, the AC compressor coming on creates a FBKC event, which decays over about 4 seconds.

This was really driving me nuts.
kabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymantas View Post
I've read around and heard that our knock sensors pick up some strange events (ambient noise in engine bay). I have been getting a knock event that was very consistent on the logs. They were always spaced equally apart while driving at highway speed (70 mph to be exact) with cruise control on. The events would happen every 45 seconds or so. I thought maybe I had bad gas at first but as I looked at my logs i began to see a pattern. The knock events always occurred when the AC compressor would kick on. So I tested this by making sure recirc was on, AC was off, and blower was off. I drove 100 miles with no knock. So then I drove another 100 miles (distance to work and home) with the AC on and it knocked every time the AC compressor came on.

I then tried forcing it to happen by randomly turning the AC on and off. It would actually trigger a knock event while moving 2 out of 3 times i would do this.

I will be going through the engine bay and checking to make sure everything with the AC system is snugged up. Has anyone else had occurrences like this?
If it is a single count correction (-1.4) or so, I would not worry about it too much. The engine control unit (ECU) actually has a delay in which it prevents a correction to feedback knock taking place shortly after the A/C compressor comes on (a tuneable table in our Accesstuner tuning software). It may be something loose as mentioned (which is rattling as compressor comes on) or it may be that that some false knock due to A/C compressor coming on is normal at times (I haven't specifically check for a connection between A/C and feedback knock before via logging so I can't say for sure).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
endrswrd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323908
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ ltd
ISM

I have seen this on many cars, mostly 08+. I usually only see single to double counts registering in conjunction with the A/C compressor, and it always unlearns quickly.
endrswrd is offline   Reply With Quote