Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
devin.deangelis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295641
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Black

Default 2006 sti -New to subaru and sti

I bought a 2006 Sti 3 weeks ago with 44,000 miles on it, the cars great and im already worrying about it because i dont know previous owner. its lightly modded with a cold air intake, elimination of a throttle body under the air intake i believe (not to sure), rear sway bar coil overs and cat back. im worried this car might have been raced and then sold at low miles. what types of things should i look at that may have the most wear? the exterior looks pretty great with no dings or scratches, it looks new. the rims show very little wear only a chip of clear coat off in a few places, engine bay clean under the car dirty.. thin layer of black grime.. pb blaster and gumout worked fine on that though. any other information would be cool im definatley trieng too learn. i also havent been able to find a good shop manual for the 2006 sti. are there any (breakdown) manuals you might recommend?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by devin.deangelis; 10-09-2011 at 11:49 PM.
devin.deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
SubieDubieDoo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295662

You should always start with pictures that way it gives the expert Subaru guys (not me) more information and a visual aid to give you better advice.
SubieDubieDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
rattmann316
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225604
Vehicle:
2005 Forester 2.5XT
Champagne Gold Opal

Welcome to subarus. I would look specifically at the turbo to make sure the heat shield is there and in one piece and bolts are tight at the turbo. Check the oil, make sure its clean. Check the ic for oil too. Is the Ecu flashed? It should be if there's aftermarket exhaust and prolly intake too.
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
devin.deangelis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295641
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Black

Thank you, i will be posting pictures on my profile and here soon. The place i bought it from specialized in rarer cars, STi, 335i, evo, AMG etc and they said they go through a few things before they sell any of their cars, whatever they mean by that.

- Heat shield may be removed, i have personally tightened the manifold bolts and checked to make sure most the visible bolts and nuts in the engine bay were to spec torq.
-Oil looks relatively new, changing this week for reassurance, Rotilla 5w 40 good? and should i order a OEM Oil filter or what are some suggestions?
-ECU flashed? i dont think so, i was given a AEM downpipe with purchace of the car, installed it, Cruise light flashed and check engine light. Reinstalled OEM with cats ( didnt like the sound of downpipe) and unpluged negative from battery. Back to good no lights appearing.
devin.deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
ScionPower
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280189
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin.deangelis View Post
-Oil looks relatively new, changing this week for reassurance, Rotilla 5w 40 good? and should i order a OEM Oil filter?

Rotella 5w 40 (blue bottle/jug) is great oil.
Stock Filter is a good filter to use (blue filter lulz).

For what it's worth, my switch to Rotella (stock filter) from Royal piss and Mobil EngineStopper 1 gave me a slightly smoother idle.

Check the brakes. If the "Brembo" logo is turning brown/is brown, then the brakes got hot enough to guarantee track time.
ScionPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
rattmann316
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225604
Vehicle:
2005 Forester 2.5XT
Champagne Gold Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionPower

Rotella 5w 40 (blue bottle/jug) is great oil.
Stock Filter is a good filter to use (blue filter lulz).

For what it's worth, my switch to Rotella (stock filter) from Royal piss and Mobil EngineStopper 1 gave me a slightly smoother idle.

Check the brakes. If the "Brembo" logo is turning brown/is brown, then the brakes got hot enough to guarantee track time.
This. And I use whatever synthetic oil machv suggests.
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Xover22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283308
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WRB

Welcome.

One suggestion I have is to inspect or just upgrade the oil pick up tube.

I have a 2006 with 37k and it recently failed / cracked. After searching I relalized I was not alone.
Xover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
J_jizzo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286838
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Black

I have a question since we are on the subject of 2006 STi, I just bought one recently as well and going through the carfax the motor was seized up along with the turbo. The short block was actually replaced by the subaru dealership through the warranty. Is this normal?
J_jizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
Akrexak
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 100607
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2015 DGM STI-His
'14 FXT Touring-Hers

Something you should have done before purchase is an inspection.
This would have been good to read before purchase also:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1679821
Akrexak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
KingKoopa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189066
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2007 sti
black

welcome to the neverendingblackholeofyourbankaccountandallfreetim e world of subarus my 2cents... if its stock, leave it the hell alone. and its not the car its self thats the nonstop drain on your wallet, its the addiction. never thought id spend 20k in parts.. and actually today, i realized ive past that, and on top of that went out and bought ANOTHER sti. get ready for it, its coming.
proud owner of a 2007 sti and 2004 sti. and once im done with this contract im gunna add 2012 to that.

Last edited by KingKoopa; 10-11-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: ooops :)
KingKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Pullski22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337410
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza STI
Crystal Grey Metallic

So if the heat shield has been removed, that's a really bad sign? I just recently bought an 06 STI and I originally thought it was stock, but now that I have given it a once over in my garage and at a dealership I found out that it has been modded and returned to as close as stock as possible. Car had a clean carfax and autocheck and was purchased from a reputable dealership as well. Any other bad signs to look for other than the brakes, heat shield etc? Is it possible to tell by myself if the ECU has been flashed?
Pullski22 is offline   Reply With Quote