Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
NothnButTheFacts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 65876
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 Stg 2 WRX Wagon
CGM

Default Easy way to tell if o2 sensor is going bad?

Hey guys--

I've done a few hours of searching between here and RR forum, and haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

Is there an easy way to tell if my front o2 sensor is going bad based on logging parameters in RomRaider?

Obviously i will need to stay in closed loop operation as I understand that the ecu uses the maf for open loop fueling, but what parameters should I log, and what values should I be experiencing during normal operation of the o2 sensor? I unfortunately do not have a wideband currently.

Reason for the question is due to some terrible mpg's over the last month or two. No CEL's, just really bad mileage (16-17 mpg when I have averaged 20-24 like clockwork since owning the car, depending on how I drive of course.)

I've got some new plugs in the mail, and plan on cleaning the MAF soon just in case it got borked by some filter oil.

Car is a 2006 WRX wagon with 73k on the odometer. Mods are:
- TGV deletes
- bellmouth catless downpipe
- k&n panel filter
- silicone inlet
- xpt stg 2 map
- Tire pressure is 40 psi (55 psi max with these tires)

Here is a link to my thread on the romraider forum that has a couple Learning View screenshots and logs; one WOT, and one cruising. BTW, I have a small hole in my inlet so I'm sure that is why my fuel trims are a bit off in my learning view screens, but pretty sure thats not the only reason I'm seeing this kind of mpg's -->
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...p=74192#p74192

That's all the info I can think of for now... Any help is greatly appreciated!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NothnButTheFacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

if your front 02 sensor is going bad your car will start hesitating and bucking like a rodeo bull.

simply unplug the front 02 sensor connection by the stock boost controller and go drive around. if the bucking/hesitation is gone, then your front 02 is the culprit.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
NothnButTheFacts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 65876
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 Stg 2 WRX Wagon
CGM

^^Thanks for the reply, I havent experienced any hesitation-- car runs smooth, Ill try unplugging it and take a spin. Also, for anyone else concerned with a topic similar to this; here is a reply I recwived on RR forum:

"Well judging by your AF learning ranges your car isn't adding a ton of fuel, so I don't believe this is due to a bad o2 sensor. It could likely be a change in environmental conditions. I get much worse fuel economy in the winter.

If you really want to test your o2 sensor, spray something flammable into your turbo inlet (starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc.) and log AF correction. As soon as you spray in the fluid you should see it start to pull fuel. Alternatively, you can create a vacuum leak, and log the same parameter and see if it starts adding fuel to compensate for the increased oxygen entering the engine.

Hope this helps.

-Mark"

^will try this as well and let you know what I find.
NothnButTheFacts is offline   Reply With Quote