Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
bbong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141258
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Evo 9 GSR
GG

Default AEM EMS v1 and Crappy Start

I have a fully build long block, with Kelford 280 Non-AVCS Cams, since I switched over to AEM from Hydra (due to lack of tuners close by to tune Hydra), my start's been horrible especially on cold days.

So this is what happens when car is cold, say sits in around 20-30F weather.

1) I crank it first, for around 5 seconds, no pickup or nothing just cranks.
2) Second attempt, cranks and cranks again until around last few turns, it starts to pick up and you hear engine firing, stutters and no go.
3) Continue attempt, more pickups from the engine, I have to depress the gas pedal, or it'll never start and begin idling by itself.
4) Around the 4th time, it'll have a rough pickup, engine fires, I have to depress the gas pedal to raise the RPM to around 2K/rpm and keep it there for around 60-90sec., so I can let of the gas pedal and it'll than start idling by itself.

Once the car warms up and Coolant temp reaches it's operating temperature, it'll idle fine, but if I turn it off, it'll have a hard time starting again, but less so as it's now warm, so it'll take 2-3 tries to get it running instead of 4.

I will post my map later tonight as well as the video of it cranking, I'm fed up with this behavior which I can't seem to get rid of, not sure if it's the AEM or what, but I recall not having this problem when I had Hydra.

My AEM is the V1 but with Revision C, so apparently the crank sensor issue was suppose to be fixed in this revision, so I doubt that's it.

Any help, suggestions, insights are welcome, I'd like to get this one fixed.
bbong is offline   Reply With Quote