Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #51
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
saw the add yesterday. don't want one thats been raced/abused even if its in good shape. I want a good reliable bike that I know the history on. I'm downsizing from 2 bikes to 1 bike this summer.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #53
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
don't want one thats been raced/abused even if its in good shape.

You know Mav, that is such a fallacy in my experience.

Racing is not necessarily abuse. In some cases, and especially this case, it is using the vehicle for it's intended purpose.

Abuse is letting a bike with carburetors sit for several months with the gasoline in it turning to varnish and obstructing the jets. Abuse is not changing oil or changing the oil without changing the oil filter. Abuse is letting tires sit with low air pressure until they crack in the side wall. Abuse is not tightening a chain and ruining the swing arm, sprockets and protectors on the bike. Abuse is not keeping a bike on a battery tender through the winter, Abuse is never changing an air filter. I could go on and on and on. All of that neglect is abuse in my opinion.

Race bikes, when maintained properly, are many times bargains. They come with spares, aftermarket parts and were taken care of because the guys riding them knew what they were doing. When you race on a bike, your life depends on your machinery. You are going to make damn sure everything is right before you go out on a track on that machine and push the edge. You also have to pass a tech inspection to get the bike on the track. Most racers I've known do their own maintenance because they can't afford to have a dealership **** things up. They learn the right way and stay on top of the maintenance schedule to keep long term costs down.

"Never raced" is a selling point for the uneducated. Lots of riders now are getting into track days and racing which can theoretically be hard on the bike. Someone who doesn't really know how to do a prebuy inspection would therefore assume that a bike that's only seen the street is in better mechanical condition. This is hardly the case in reality.

A large percentage of people that do those sort of things are also pretty meticulous when it comes to maintenance. It comes with the territory really, if you're going to push your equipment, you damn well better make sure it's in good shape. Whereas your average joe riding to work or on a sunday isn't as likely to be so up on maintaining things.

It's obvious that track/race application puts additional wear/stress on the bike, so much so that the manufacture has increased periodicity of servicing, oil changes, valve checks, etc... One might equate this to "use age" on a bike rather than time-age, aka the proverbial "a light that shines twice as bright, lasts half as long" mentality.
Regardless, this typically translates into a lower market value - thus a common selling factor and bargain basement prices.

I looked that bike over in the photo pretty well. A person spending that kind of money on carbon fiber wheels in a state with an extremely limited riding season is not a stunter. I am certain it was very cared for. If you or anyone else here ever does get serious about acquiring a used bike, let me assist you. I'd be more than happy to. I am a resource for you and can give you the inside scoop on how I've been able to acquire a fleet of damn near pristine bikes for pennies on the dollar.

Lesson adjorned.

Last edited by Nomadgene; 03-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #54
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Ben Lamay had a very nasty get off tonight. They had to red flag the heat and restart. Here is a short video of it.

He was the top time in the B group of riders. He was 10th fastest out of the entire field through practice and was really on fire. When I saw the live timing and scoring show him not starting his heat race or the LCQ, I knew something had happened. Sure enough, he took a dirt nap.

He walked to the ambulance. We are still waiting to hear the outcome from the rest of the family.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #55
coldfiremx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285848
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Butte/Palmer
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Default

Couldn't agree more Mike. I was thinking along the same lines. A very commmon thing amongst MX racers is that race bikes are maintained and kept better than "Little Joe's" race bike that he cruised around the field and trails. Maybe he change the oil once a year over a 3 year period, but never a valve adjustment. Only for the new owner of it take it to the track and waste the valves in 20 minutes. My race bikes have always been maintained. Oil change after every practice session or race which is basically 1-2 hours of use per oil change. Check the valves every other race.4 strokes got a new piston and cylinder every season, 2 strokes were getting rings after 2-3 races, new pistons as needed. Chassis lubed ( swingarm,linkage, steering stem) which is not lubed when assembled at the dealer. Suspension serviced regularly, thats often overlooked by non racers, suspension has a break in period and fluid should be changed as per the maintenance schedule... I'd take a race bike over a "Joe" bike anyday.
coldfiremx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #56
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Update on Ben, concussion, small bone broken in his hand. He got hit by a couple different riders and has some aches and pains but was able to head home to California. He will be checked out there by his regular doctor.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #57
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #58
coldfiremx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285848
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Butte/Palmer
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene
Ben Lamay had a very nasty get off tonight. They had to red flag the heat and restart. Here is a short video of it.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWdMVn7azbU
He was the top time in the B group of riders. He was 10th fastest out of the entire field through practice and was really on fire. When I saw the live timing and scoring show him not starting his heat race or the LCQ, I knew something had happened. Sure enough, he took a dirt nap.

He walked to the ambulance. We are still waiting to hear the outcome from the rest of the family.
Damn, that was a nasty get-off.
coldfiremx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #59
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
You know Mav, that is such a fallacy in my experience.

Racing is not necessarily abuse. In some cases, and especially this case, it is using the vehicle for it's intended purpose.

Abuse is letting a bike with carburetors sit for several months with the gasoline in it turning to varnish and obstructing the jets. Abuse is not changing oil or changing the oil without changing the oil filter. Abuse is letting tires sit with low air pressure until they crack in the side wall. Abuse is not tightening a chain and ruining the swing arm, sprockets and protectors on the bike. Abuse is not keeping a bike on a battery tender through the winter, Abuse is never changing an air filter. I could go on and on and on. All of that neglect is abuse in my opinion.

Race bikes, when maintained properly, are many times bargains. They come with spares, aftermarket parts and were taken care of because the guys riding them knew what they were doing. When you race on a bike, your life depends on your machinery. You are going to make damn sure everything is right before you go out on a track on that machine and push the edge. You also have to pass a tech inspection to get the bike on the track. Most racers I've known do their own maintenance because they can't afford to have a dealership **** things up. They learn the right way and stay on top of the maintenance schedule to keep long term costs down.

"Never raced" is a selling point for the uneducated. Lots of riders now are getting into track days and racing which can theoretically be hard on the bike. Someone who doesn't really know how to do a prebuy inspection would therefore assume that a bike that's only seen the street is in better mechanical condition. This is hardly the case in reality.

A large percentage of people that do those sort of things are also pretty meticulous when it comes to maintenance. It comes with the territory really, if you're going to push your equipment, you damn well better make sure it's in good shape. Whereas your average joe riding to work or on a sunday isn't as likely to be so up on maintaining things.

It's obvious that track/race application puts additional wear/stress on the bike, so much so that the manufacture has increased periodicity of servicing, oil changes, valve checks, etc... One might equate this to "use age" on a bike rather than time-age, aka the proverbial "a light that shines twice as bright, lasts half as long" mentality.
Regardless, this typically translates into a lower market value - thus a common selling factor and bargain basement prices.

I looked that bike over in the photo pretty well. A person spending that kind of money on carbon fiber wheels in a state with an extremely limited riding season is not a stunter. I am certain it was very cared for. If you or anyone else here ever does get serious about acquiring a used bike, let me assist you. I'd be more than happy to. I am a resource for you and can give you the inside scoop on how I've been able to acquire a fleet of damn near pristine bikes for pennies on the dollar.

Lesson adjorned.
I appreciate the lesson nomad, I know your words are backed with years of experience. However I just can't see myself spending $6000 on a bike thats been on track and what not. For a couple more grand I can have a new one thats factory set up for street and not the track. I don't doubt that its a good bike and a great buy for someone. But if I spend the money for an R6 I'm going to buy new.

Maybe my experience with used cars is shaping my perspective of used bikes.

I'd also rather have a loan then drop 6k all at once on a bike. My plan is to trade in the Raider and use its trade in to pay it off. Basicly transfer the loan from it to a smaller bike. FZ8 would be the largest I'd go. Put some money down. If I bought that bike then I still have to sell the Raider. Ah well.

Besides you talked me out of getting an R6.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #60
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

That bike was for sale for $4000. A real bargain at that price with all the other mods on it.

The BST carbon fiber wheels were an additional $2000. Those retail for about $4000 a set.

Here is an article for those interested to read up on the CF technology. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/543/86...ls-Review.aspx
The lighter weight wheels improve everything and give exponential gains in turning, acceleration, braking, etc. Each mod you perform after their addition to the bike is enhanced as well.

Wheels are a bling and performance item, just like on cars. However, the big difference on bikes is that low unsprung mass has a HUGE negative gyroscopic affect which makes the bike flick and change directions in the blink of an eye. It really cannot be understood on paper or typed here on this screen. You must experience it first hand. My Tuono (which Mav rode last year) is a phenomenal handling bike with the stock wheels on it. My Mille R has OZ wheels on it that are 2 pounds lighter on each end. That Mille handles like a completely different bike even though the chassis geometry is the exact same. The wheels make all that difference.

Jcharron and I have ridden my buddies Ducati with CF wheels on it. The thing just changes directions in the blink of an eye.

We will set up a ride this summer so you can experience exactly what I am talking about Mav. I'll put you on each bike back to back so you can hammer the concept home. It is a REMARKABLE difference.

That bike also has woodcraft rear sets and lots of graves aftermarket parts which are all the highest end parts out there for Yamaha's. They are the equivalent of Prodrive or Cosworth to Subarus.

Another point…you probably are already aware you are going to take quite a hit on the cruiser bike with depreciation, but understand that it is likely to be much higher % than it would be if you were to sell a year old car with super low miles. There is huge competition for selling bikes in the early spring here in Alaska. I have already noticed a big jump in postings on Craigslist in anticipation of spring riding season. I will actually be surprised if the Yamaha dealer will even take it in on trade.

Also have you checked the 2012 R6 pricing? Nearly $11,000 ($10,890) for a 600. LOL

I bet a $4000 version is starting to look a whole lot better about right now.


I am absolutely certain that the 2005 model with mods he is selling will run within 0.1% of where the new R6 can with the same rider.




On a lighter note (pun intended) check this bad boy out. Talk about a fun around town bike! woo hoo. I'll be looking for the pricing on these!
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...-zaeta-530-dt/

Last edited by Nomadgene; 03-05-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #61
coldfiremx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285848
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Butte/Palmer
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Default

That Zaeta is sweet, with an Italian TM motor, those are pretty rare. I remember racing MX down in SoCal out of 300 or so racers, only 1 TM in the pits. Crafty bikes with high end parts OE.
coldfiremx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #62
Brando5185
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189926
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Goldsboro,NC
Vehicle:
HEMI Jeep GC
07 SV1K

Default

If I had 4k that R6 would be in my garage. But kid number 2 on they way so one bike is enough for me.
Brando5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #63
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Yeah I am prepared for a hit on the Raider.

guess I read the add wrong. I thought he wanted 6k for it. not 4k. oh well.

I'm just coming up with reasons I don't want the R6 lol. I want it but you talked me out of it by saying it was not as comfortable of a ride on distances and what not. This is the wrong time of year to sink money into a bike I can't even test ride first to see if I like it.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #64
Bugeyeguy13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248211
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilla
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx jdm spec-c

Default

That zaeta makes me want another bike so bad
Bugeyeguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #65
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

bought some new riding gear at AK Leather. ditching the leathers for lighter gear more suited for sport bike riding.

Also going to sign up for this spring's motorcycle school again. Don't need the license portion of it but wanna do a refresher again. Also gonna go with a new rider so she has someone to go with.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #66
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

That is great Mav. The first month or so of riding season can be treacherous. Good to brush up and expand your skill set. I really take it easy those first few weeks until the roads get cleared and my skills/ reactions return after a long winter off the bikes.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #67
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

exact reasons why I want to take the course, continue learning good habits and remain safe/aware.

I know the roads are going to be wet and dirty for a while this spring. Just means I'll have to hit the open road.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #68
bjcarter2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227288
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, AK
Vehicle:
2006 MCS JCW
Pepper White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik
bought some new riding gear at AK Leather. ditching the leathers for lighter gear more suited for sport bike riding.

Also going to sign up for this spring's motorcycle school again. Don't need the license portion of it but wanna do a refresher again. Also gonna go with a new rider so she has someone to go with.
Don't forget to review my Ride Like a Pro video. When you're done, let me know and I can stop and pick it up.
bjcarter2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Yup I got that still. need to watch it as soon as I can ride so its fresh and I can put into practice those lessons
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #70
redl1newrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121977
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Ak
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza2.5i
SWP

Default

redl1newrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #71
redl1newrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121977
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Ak
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza2.5i
SWP

Default



I'm ready for this snow to be gone!
redl1newrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #72
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #73
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redl1newrx View Post


I'm ready for this snow to be gone!
That an R6 or R1? beautiful bike.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #74
redl1newrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121977
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Ak
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza2.5i
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
That an R6 or R1? beautiful bike.
Thanks! It's my '02 R1.. My first bike, at first i thought it would be too big for a beginner's bike, but i havent had any problems riding... Im thinking about painting the fairings a different color...
redl1newrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #75
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default



Picked this up off Craigslist tonight for Nancy (my lovely wife, for those of you who don't know her).

She acquired her license late last year but we ran out of time after I got back from Seattle to do any bike searching.

She is away on a family vacation over Spring break with the kids while I am in finals. It will be a nice welcome home surprise.

While I was there the seller informed me he has another bike on Craigslist. A pristine 2004 R1. This bike is in really good shape with some nice extras. This is the ad for it.http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/2900892291.html

This is what the actual bike looked like. The rear tire beside it is brand new and waiting to be installed. A great deal on some very well maintained low mile bikes.

Last edited by Nomadgene; 03-14-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: a well placed comma
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 AKIC Meet & Greet 1/1/12 insane_one Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC 66 01-09-2012 06:03 PM
Smog checks for CA motorcycles?! By 2012 if SB 435 passes. SubyFi Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 15 05-06-2009 01:23 AM
Motorcycle pic thread 06STi South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 19 12-29-2005 06:55 PM
Old School AKIC pics! bert_WRX Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC 9 07-24-2004 08:11 AM
AKIC may meet pics SQUAD_907 Member's Car Gallery 12 05-23-2002 09:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.