Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default Group buy feeler - Rota T2R 18X9 +45 5X100

I know this is probably a long shot, but I've been looking for an 18X9 5X100 wheel in the 44 to 48 offset range and haven't been able to find much. I'm thinking +45 offset would be about the perfect fitment on the widebody 2011/2012 WRX without having to do fender modifications but still being 21mm less tucked than the stock wheels. It might also work well on older model WRX's possibly with some slight fender mods.

I really like the T2R style wheel and I asked Tommy at wheeldude about it. If we can get around 15 people who are interested we might be able to make it happen.

Post here if you're interested. 18X9+35 G-forces run for $950 a set and 18X9.5 T2R's run for $1050 a set so I'm guessing these would be in that same price range.





Gold


Flatblack


Hyper Black


Hyper Silver


Titanium Chrome


White
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
RAzevedo330
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271121
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 4dr
SSM

Default

I would love this wheel on my 2011 WRX!!!
RAzevedo330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Default

I would think inboard clearance would be an issue.
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
I would think inboard clearance would be an issue.
The inner clearance would be 5mm less clearance than the stock '11+ WRX and 4mm more than a stock 08+ STI so it should be fine. Many people are running 18X9.5 +38 on these cars (with fender modifications) with no inner clearance issues and that setup is 4mm less inner clearance than a stock widebody 3G WRX.

The 08+ STI setup has 8mm less inner clearance than the 11+ WRX so there is no reason 5mm less should be an issue.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtydurt

The inner clearance would be 5mm less clearance than the stock '11+ WRX and 4mm more than a stock 08+ STI so it should be fine. Many people are running 18X9.5 +38 on these cars (with fender modifications) with no inner clearance issues and that setup is 4mm less inner clearance than a stock widebody 3G WRX.

The 08+ STI setup has 8mm less inner clearance than the 11+ WRX so there is no reason 5mm less should be an issue.
You're numbers are off. The 18x9 +45 has 3mm less clearance than the OEM sti setup, 5mm less than OEM wrx. 18x9 +45 has about 1mm less clearance on the inside than an 18x9.5 +38.

You will run into inner clearance issues when running larger tires with stock struts.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
You're numbers are off. The 18x9 +45 has 3mm less clearance than the OEM sti setup, 5mm less than OEM wrx. 18x9 +45 has about 1mm less clearance on the inside than an 18x9.5 +38.

You will run into inner clearance issues when running larger tires with stock struts.
I had the understanding that the OEM STI setup was 18X8.5 +55. If that's the case then 18X9 +45 would have 4mm more inner clearance. Let me know what the actual OEM STI setup is if I got that wrong.

You are right that 18X9 +45 has 1mm less inner clearance than 18X9.5 +38 (18X9 +45 = 5mm less clearance than WRX, 18X9.5 +38 = 4mm less clearance than WRX, 5mm-4mm=1mm). I didn't mention that specifically, only that 18X9.5 +38 was 4mm tighter on the inside than OEM WRX. Both have more clearance than the OEM sti (if my above assumption is correct) so unless the WRX struts are significantly different than the STI in that area then I would think there should be no issue?
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtydurt View Post
I had the understanding that the OEM STI setup was 18X8.5 +55. If that's the case then 18X9 +45 would have 4mm more inner clearance. Let me know what the actual OEM STI setup is if I got that wrong.

You are right that 18X9 +45 has 1mm less inner clearance than 18X9.5 +38 (18X9 +45 = 5mm less clearance than WRX, 18X9.5 +38 = 4mm less clearance than WRX, 5mm-4mm=1mm). I didn't mention that specifically, only that 18X9.5 +38 was 4mm tighter on the inside than OEM WRX. Both have more clearance than the OEM sti (if my above assumption is correct) so unless the WRX struts are significantly different than the STI in that area then I would think there should be no issue?
You're right! For some reason I kept thinking they were 18x8.5 +48.

Its a difference of 3-4mm at the inside of the wheel, I'm not doubting that the wheel clears stock suspension - but when you run larger tires, that gap can easily be filled up.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
You're right! For some reason I kept thinking they were 18x8.5 +48.

Its a difference of 3-4mm at the inside of the wheel, I'm not doubting that the wheel clears stock suspension - but when you run larger tires, that gap can easily be filled up.
Yeah a wider tire would decrease the clearance a bit. This is pretty rough, but say you ran a 265 tire on the 18X9 wheel compared to the 245 tire on the 8.5" STI wheel, your tire is getting 20mm wider but the wheel is only getting 13mm wider. Divide the difference by two and you'd probably get about 4mm more bulge on the tire, so on the inside it would bring the clearance to about the same as the stock STI.

After all my research this seems like the best wheel fitment in terms of being as flush as possible without requiring fender mods on the 11+WRX, unfortunately finding 5X100 wheels in this configuration is tough. This size would probably even work well on earlier models to reduce the amount of fender work needed in comparison to something like an 18X9.5 +38 (which sticks out 13mm further).
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

But then that gets into why you feel you want to run a tire that wide on a daily?

What is your current ride height?

There have been plenty of people fitting 18x9.5 +40 with 265's on stock suspension (and mayyyybe a rear roll).
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
rotb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184615
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Mary,FL
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Red

Default

I'm interest i G-force 18X9 5X100
rotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Ptown_finezT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308190
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: pasadena,tx
Vehicle:
2012 wrx hatch
dgm,2010 swp legacy prem.

Default

Im interested in this group buy,so what kind of tires your planning to run?
Ptown_finezT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
But then that gets into why you feel you want to run a tire that wide on a daily?

What is your current ride height?

There have been plenty of people fitting 18x9.5 +40 with 265's on stock suspension (and mayyyybe a rear roll).
I'd probably run a 255 to keep unsprung weight and rotational inertia down. Even that is probably overkill for my needs. Same reason I'd prefer a 9" wheel over 9.5". I wouldn't go narrower than 255 just because I don't like the look of skinny tires pushed out to the corners (think stock wheels on spacers).

I'm on stock suspension now and the lowest I'd go would be GTWORX/Bilstein which is only a 15mm drop.

I realize that 18X9.5 +40 fits with a rear roll, but that is one of the points of the wheel fitment I'm looking for, I'd prefer not do that modification to my car.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptown_finezT View Post
Im interested in this group buy,so what kind of tires your planning to run?
I'd probably run 255/35R18. This would give the same effective gearing as the 09/10 WRX which had 225/45R17 tires (both are 25.0" diameter).

To maintain your speedometer/odometer reading 265/35R18 is another option with this wheel as 9" is the narrowest wheel that is is recommended for that tire size. This tire would have the same diameter as the OEM 11+ WRX 235/45R17 tires (25.3").

Yet another option would be 255/40R18. This would be 26" in diameter which would result in even taller effective gearing. It would also throw your speedometer off by 2.8% so many would probably say this size isn't recommended.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
wutdadilyo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53967
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
Satin White Pearl

Default

I am definitely interested so please let me know if this group buy becomes active
wutdadilyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Ptown_finezT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308190
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: pasadena,tx
Vehicle:
2012 wrx hatch
dgm,2010 swp legacy prem.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtydurt View Post
I'd probably run 255/35R18. This would give the same effective gearing as the 09/10 WRX which had 225/45R17 tires (both are 25.0" diameter).

To maintain your speedometer/odometer reading 265/35R18 is another option with this wheel as 9" is the narrowest wheel that is is recommended for that tire size. This tire would have the same diameter as the OEM 11+ WRX 235/45R17 tires (25.3").

Yet another option would be 255/40R18. This would be 26" in diameter which would result in even taller effective gearing. It would also throw your speedometer off by 2.8% so many would probably say this size isn't recommended.
The only concerned that I have is if it would hit the strut when I turn,that 265 tire would fit right with no problems at all? I'm fairly new to this offset and tire stuff.
Ptown_finezT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptown_finezT View Post
The only concerned that I have is if it would hit the strut when I turn,that 265 tire would fit right with no problems at all? I'm fairly new to this offset and tire stuff.
Don't worry, that won't be an issue. Like discussed above, this setup would still have more inner clearance than the STI factory setup. Also it is very similar to the inner clearance that you have with an 18X9.5+38 or 18X9.5+40 wheel and 265/35 tire setup that many people are running.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutdadilyo View Post
I am definitely interested so please let me know if this group buy becomes active
Well that's a good start, looks like we have about 5 interested so far.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Ptown_finezT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308190
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: pasadena,tx
Vehicle:
2012 wrx hatch
dgm,2010 swp legacy prem.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtydurt View Post
Don't worry, that won't be an issue. Like discussed above, this setup would still have more inner clearance than the STI factory setup. Also it is very similar to the inner clearance that you have with an 18X9.5+38 or 18X9.5+40 wheel and 265/35 tire setup that many people are running.
Nice just let me know if it happens.
Ptown_finezT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
fuelMuncher
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301554
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

I'd be interested in titanium chrome 18X9 T2R. Subscribed.
fuelMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Subie_Noob_Brian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288037
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: University Place, WA
Vehicle:
2015 LightingRed WRX
11' WRX sold**14' XV sold

Default

I just bought some 18x9.5 +38 wheels. Waiting on my 265/18 tires and ill post my results. Going to be rolling the rear
Subie_Noob_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

I was actually thinking about giving up on the Gravels and going with these. No one has them in my state, yet, and I think they go well with the 3G WRX widebody.

I'm wondering what the discount would be for this group buy?

I'd go with hyper black. I'm 89% sure I want this set-up, just depends on when. Plus I'd be giving up on my dream of JDM STI TS wheels for this year if I got these wheels.

Last edited by chanomatik; 03-05-2012 at 09:02 PM.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
jwongx27
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300323
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

1050 for replica fake wheels =\ iif price is cheaper i would be down (800 ish )
jwongx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
durtydurt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235745
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I was actually thinking about giving up on the Gravels and going with these. No one has them in my state, yet, and I think they go well with the 3G WRX widebody.

I'm wondering what the discount would be for this group buy?

I'd go with hyper black. I'm 89% sure I want this set-up, just depends on when. Plus I'd be giving up on my dream of JDM STI TS wheels for this year if I got these wheels.
Yeah the gravels are nice too. I like that the T2R wheels have some concave to them vs. the gravels which are pretty flat.
durtydurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
J wrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280177
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2011 wrx
DGM

Default

interested if this gets off the ground
J wrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #25
rmj
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276611
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Vehicle:
2011 STi 5-Door
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

I'm really liking those T2Rs! So if this takes off, would the group buy be fore $1050, or slightly less?
rmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : DELETE seperated rims 08blackpearl Wheels/Tires 6 03-29-2012 10:10 PM
FS : Vermont - Set of 18x9.5 Rota T2R Hyper Black 5x100 +38. FRESH! ~1500 Miles! johnrocs Wheels/Tires 7 11-06-2011 12:26 PM
FS : Rota G-force 18x9 +35 5x100 Gold - Brand New - Los Angeles 90045 fredtga SCIC Private Classifieds 20 05-13-2009 02:50 PM
FS : Rota G-force 18x9 +35 5x100 Gold - Brand New - Los Angeles 90045 fredtga Wheels/Tires 14 05-10-2009 10:58 PM
Work XSA 02C Group Buy! 18x9 +45 5x100 Gold with Polished Lip! WorldOne Vendor 'Group Buy' Classifieds 4 09-24-2008 11:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.