Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris

If you really need the travel in deep snow, the Impreza isn't a terrible good car for it due to a lack of ground clearance.
My 2004 begs to differ, that was coming home in 15" of unplowed roads.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
Booterzzz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311851
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
09 Wrx Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza

My 2004 begs to differ
Awesome
Booterzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #28
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza View Post
My 2004 begs to differ, that was coming home in 15" of unplowed roads.

Pretty big difference for me going down and unplowed road with the Impreza or a 2004 Outback. The Outback seems much more happy in 4+ inches of snow, while the Impreza feels like it is right on top of the snow and blasting away snow with the bumper (because it is).
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #29
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris

Pretty big difference for me going down and unplowed road with the Impreza or a 2004 Outback. The Outback seems much more happy in 4+ inches of snow, while the Impreza feels like it is right on top of the snow and blasting away snow with the bumper (because it is).
Obviously, my 04 FXT was great too, but the Impreza is certainly no Civic in the snow. Even buried up to my grill when I stopped to help a stranded motorist, I just put it in second, Blizzaks grabbed and it kept on going down the highway.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
tubasteve
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175520
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1209 3iGT Sky & 2.5i
Graphite/Dk Gray

OMGHi2U

This thread makes me laugh.

In between Subarus I owned a Hyundai Accent hatch the first year they were out. I primarily bought it cause it was cheap and should have been fuel efficient. SURPRISE! EPA estimates blow and I was getting average 22mpg under good conditions.

I traded that pig in for my 04 LGT, a bigger, nicer, AWD car. I average 25mpg now.

Go EPA
tubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #31
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

My ism premium 5mt gets grest mileage. Right now its showing 31.5 as the average. Even with the error in the optimistic readout its really good. I'm not suggesting anyone do this- but fwiw I switched all my fluids over to Amsoil early on and have never had any complaints about mpg's. I mostly make short trips less than twenty miles in 45mph zones.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #32
Munstermotorsport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313126
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default

MPG of any car is only a guide. Driving stile will make a huge diffenence, get it to crusing speed a back off on the go pedal a fraction, if you back off the right amount you will notice the speed stays the same, this will save fuel. I saw this when driving my wifes Bmw as it had a fuel mpg guage. Try it and see. Engine cc will have a baring also as I find that if lower than 1.8L the power to weight is lower and smaller cc are under pressure thus burning more fuel.

Last edited by Munstermotorsport; 03-11-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Munstermotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
DCCDPro
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 227549
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Default

Don't forget its technically been winter the last couple of months.

Winter gas, more warming up of the car, snow tires, lower tire pressures from the cold, tire slippage on the road...and the biggest factor of all, driving habits...all contribute to dramatically lower mileage.

I bet when you get into summer the numbers will start to come up.

Run your tires at a higher psi, don't accelerate to quickly, don't accelerate going up hills as much, use the accelerator lightly. I get an average 5L/100km (45mpg+) in my Civic hybrid just by relaxing a bit, maintaining the vehicle to support good fuel mileage, and driving with those habits. (And I don't have to drive like a little old lady to do so.)

I'd bet I could easily beat the epa estimates for the Impreza, even with the cvt.
DCCDPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
txfinprof
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315153
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Blue

Default Disappointingly Low Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza View Post
I am interested in hearing the real-world fuel economy issues 2012 Impreza owners are having. I have been following every review, Fuelly.com contributions, and the experiences of friends and co-workers who have purchased a 2012 Imprezas (non-WRX).
We purchased a 2012 Impreza a couple of months ago. It is our third Subara (1998 Forester, 2006 Outback, and now 2012 Impreza). We live in Texas and like to ski; hence, Subaru. We have driven our cars over most of the US and Canada in both summer and winter and for the most part are big Subaru fans. Our last car purchase (prior to the 2012 Imprezza) was a 2011 Honda Pilot (4 wheel drive), because we wanted a larger vehicle. We decided it was time to replace the Outback but still wanted all wheel drive for family ski trips when we needed more than one vehicle. We were considering other brands this time, and this time were going to get an automatic transmission (one thing we liked about Subara it was easy to get them with manual transmissions). We test drove a Forester, an Outback, and an Impreza. We did not like the old style transmission on the 2012 Forester. We liked to high fuel economy rating on the Impreza, and seeing as we have the Honda Pilot for when we want a larger vehicle, decided we could do with a smaller car this time, and thought that the reward for the smaller vehicle would be the high fuel economy.

Our Outback was EPA rated at 22 MPG. The trip computer told us our mileage was about 27.5 MPG (we never set trip B so we had numerous 10,000 mile measures on this). Actual tank by tank calculations for about 20,000 miles showed we achieved 25 MPG. Worst fuel economy was on 80 MPH roads, with wind, and a Thule on top with our skis. (Our Forester also pretty much averaged 25 MPG until it was getting to be a very old vehicle. It died at about 265,000 miles, on its second (used) engine.)

Our Impreza has under 2000 miles on it currently, and we are getting 26.5 MPG. That is only 1.5 MPG higher than the Outback or Forester, and its a smaller car, with a smaller engine. Our driving style is the same - we baby our cars (the car we traded on the Impreza was a Gallant we bought new in 1990 and it had 290,000 miles on it), so we are very disappointed with the poor fuel economy.

If we got the same bump over the EPA numbers that we got on the Outback, we would be getting 34 MPG, and then I would be very happy. I expected we would at least get the 30 EPA MPG, as we have met or exceeded the EPA estimate on all our other cars (I get about 5% above the EPA estimate on the Honda Pilot).

So can anything be done to get better fuel economy on this car? We are hoping that it is still "breaking in" and that soon it will soar.

So
txfinprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfinprof View Post
Our Impreza has under 2000 miles on it currently, and we are getting 26.5 MPG. That is only 1.5 MPG higher than the Outback or Forester, and its a smaller car, with a smaller engine. Our driving style is the same - we baby our cars (the car we traded on the Impreza was a Gallant we bought new in 1990 and it had 290,000 miles on it), so we are very disappointed with the poor fuel economy.

If we got the same bump over the EPA numbers that we got on the Outback, we would be getting 34 MPG, and then I would be very happy. I expected we would at least get the 30 EPA MPG, as we have met or exceeded the EPA estimate on all our other cars (I get about 5% above the EPA estimate on the Honda Pilot).

So can anything be done to get better fuel economy on this car? We are hoping that it is still "breaking in" and that soon it will soar.

So
Your Impreza <-> Outback numbers are fairly similar to mine. My 2012 Impreza is only doing a couple MPG better than a 2004 Outback. I suspect in the summer, this will go up a bit, however I was expecting to be doing a lot better compared to the heavier Outback with the ancient 4EAT and larger engine.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
brentanthony33
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321350
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lafayette, IN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0
Legacv 2.5

Default

I'm honestly surprised all the issues I see people having with fuel economy.

My dad has a 2012 Sedan CVT with 7,000 miles that I primarily drove for a couple months and with cruise control would average 42 mpg easily around 60 mph. City-wise I would get around 30.

I just picked up my 2012 5-door 5-speed this last week and with already putting 600 miles on it my total average mpg according to the computer right now is 31.6 mpg.

I work for the local newspaper here in circulation so whenever I have to deliver papers my average drops to 18 just because of constant stopping and going. Other than that I am more than happy with these two cars.
brentanthony33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
LTD77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 257416
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
Dark Gray

Default

Every customer that I have spoken to that has bought a 2012 Impreza from me has reported mpg average in the mid 30's. I have been delivering 2-3 per month and I routinely follow up with customers after they have taken delivery. The best I have heard was 43 mpg highway from a customer of mine that drives 50+ miles to work all highway. She said she has been averaging 36-38 mpg. Frankly if there is someone getting low 20's city or average, then the problem is most likely thier driving not the car. Either that or they sit idling in traffic for hours on end. I average 24 in my 2011 STI.
LTD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #38
vtdave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181001
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont, USA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX 5DR
Rally Blue

Default

Wife's 2012 Impreza base hatchback, 5 speed, 2.OL: average of 32 mpg in 80% hwy / 20% city since February. This is according to the dash meter, not hand calculation. I spot-checked the meter reading a few times with hand calculation, and it was accurate +/- 1 mpg. Highway travel has been on hilly terrain at ~75mph.
vtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #39
n2xlr8n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 18960
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Bama
Vehicle:
02 WRX MBP
It lives! ; )

Default

I can relate.

We just bought a 2012 Veloster epa est 39 mpg. I drive it 65 mph for an hour to/from work with 3 redlights.

The best mpg so far is 35. I'm sorry we traded our 2011 Civic.

S.
n2xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
BShow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45688
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Chester, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Deep Cherry

Default

My Wife's 2.0i hatch, 5 speed is hovering around 25ish mpg for her commute, which is about 5 miles each way. The days that I've taken it to work on my 35 mile commute with about a third highway, a third 40-50mph stretches with no stopping and a third stop and go, I'm seeing close to 30mpg. Our average according to the dash is 27/28mpg. I'll be taking a few hundred mile road trip the first week of July so I'll see what happens then.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with these numbers on an awd car. When I had my WRX, I was lucky to get 22 mpg on the highway, at cruising speed and out of boost as much as possible. If I was driving around town or in the twisties - forget about it - helloooo 14mpg.

My general advice to those who are concerned about MPG is to change the way you drive. The more conservatively you drive, the better your mpg numbers will be.
BShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #41
BShow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45688
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Chester, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Deep Cherry

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD77 View Post
Every customer that I have spoken to that has bought a 2012 Impreza from me has reported mpg average in the mid 30's. I have been delivering 2-3 per month and I routinely follow up with customers after they have taken delivery. The best I have heard was 43 mpg highway from a customer of mine that drives 50+ miles to work all highway. She said she has been averaging 36-38 mpg. Frankly if there is someone getting low 20's city or average, then the problem is most likely thier driving not the car. Either that or they sit idling in traffic for hours on end. I average 24 in my 2011 STI.
I'm not surprised by this at all. The big delta here compared to a lot of other folks is that up north you typically have much less traffic and a lot of wide open roads. If you don't drive like an asshat, you can see some pretty good mpg numbers with open highways and no traffic.
BShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #42
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShow
My general advice to those who are concerned about MPG is to change the way you drive. The more conservatively you drive, the better your mpg numbers will be.
Thank you for comments. This thread was to highlight real problems some owners were having at launch of this new motor and transmission pairing.

Everyone knows driving styles greatly affect fuel economy, the concern was the people who could barely break 20mpg going 60 on the highway.

The frequency of these are quite low, which is reassuring, especially with the high volume of these cars sold.

There will still be some flukes out there, but as this thread has shown, we're pretty much all in the 27 to 30 club.
Not quite the 36 promised for highway, but still in the acceptable range.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShow View Post
I'm not surprised by this at all. The big delta here compared to a lot of other folks is that up north you typically have much less traffic and a lot of wide open roads. If you don't drive like an asshat, you can see some pretty good mpg numbers with open highways and no traffic.
And less hills...
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
Mikegswrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317674
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

I live in long island and I drive to Brooklyn and out to Suffolk every other day I'm averaging 20mpg I don't drive crazy but there are a lot of traffic lights ..so I think it all depends on the area you live and the way you drive
Mikegswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #45
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I have a 2012 Sport Premium 5 door auto trans. I drove it recently on a trip using cruies control at 65 mph. The car has 1700 miles on it. The best from the trip was 32.8. No stops as it was all freeway. I have taken it on shorter trip fishing and again all freeway and never better than 31.8. Around town I get 25-26. Don't know why some here are seeing 40 or anything over 35 and find it hard to believe those great numbers. Unless you only drive downhill. My numbers are on flat ground. The tachometer reads about 2200 RPM at 65 MPH which in my opinion isn't good. Should be about 1800 RPM at 65! I am hoping with more miles, it will break in and the MPG will get better.

Last edited by 2012subisport; 06-20-2012 at 05:28 PM.
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #46
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

With these variations I can see why people are reluctant to believe. My in-laws are into there 4th month of owning a 2012 cvt 5 door. Mostly rural roads w/occasional highway. Very laid back approach to driving (I scare them - and I'm not THAT much of a lead-foot). They have about 3600 miles on it and have been pretty anal(because of limited income, showing me I'm wrong recommending the car, etc.) with tracking mileage. They are getting avg. 36 mpg. I'm starting to believe the + side of these posts.
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #47
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
With these variations I can see why people are reluctant to believe. My in-laws are into there 4th month of owning a 2012 cvt 5 door. Mostly rural roads w/occasional highway. Very laid back approach to driving (I scare them - and I'm not THAT much of a lead-foot). They have about 3600 miles on it and have been pretty anal(because of limited income, showing me I'm wrong recommending the car, etc.) with tracking mileage. They are getting avg. 36 mpg. I'm starting to believe the + side of these posts.
WOW.......sure hope I see that MPG some day. I piss people off because I do the slow starts and coast to stops VS braking like my wife. Still don't see anything better that 26-28 around town. I'm gonna wait and then take it back to the dealer to see if there is something wrong. Might add a little extra tire air pressure too.
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #48
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cackalack
Vehicle:
2013 Not so Hot HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012subisport View Post
I have a 2012 Sport Premium 5 door auto trans. I drove it recently on a trip using cruies control at 65 mph. The car has 1700 miles on it. The best from the trip was 32.8. No stops as it was all freeway. I have taken it on shorter trip fishing and again all freeway and never better than 31.8. Around town I get 25-26. Don't know why some here are seeing 40 or anything over 35 and find it hard to believe those great numbers. Unless you only drive downhill. My numbers are on flat ground. The tachometer reads about 2200 RPM at 65 MPH which in my opinion isn't good. Should be about 1800 RPM at 65! I am hoping with more miles, it will break in and the MPG will get better.
One question. Did this trip include luggage and other people? Weight in the car can negatively affect fuel mileage. As for the "26-28mpg while tooling around town". Sounds like it's right on the 27mpg that this car is rated for "around town"

When I changed the oil @ 3000mi the Trip B registered 29.7mpg (never reset). By time the car tripped 10k and the Trip B reset. It was reading 32.7mpg. At 18k the Trip B is reading 33.9. Your fuel mileage will increase as the car gets some miles on the engine.

Last edited by Furiousd1983; 06-21-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Furiousd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #49
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

The thing about it is, people think that because they have an awd sporty car, they can throw down in the streets, shift at 4500rpm and go for their best 0-60 time all the time... i see it all the time the way people drive... now that im past break in and im driving normal, and taking care of my car.. im getting 30 split pretty evenly between highway and city...

2012 impreza sport 5speed
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #50
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousd1983 View Post
One question. Did this trip include luggage and other people? Weight in the car can negatively affect fuel mileage. As for the "26-28mpg while tooling around town". Sounds like it's right on the 27mpg that this car is rated for "around town"

When I changed the oil @ 3000mi the Trip B registered 29.7mpg (never reset). By time the car tripped 10k and the Trip B reset. It was reading 32.7mpg. At 18k the Trip B is reading 33.9. Your fuel mileage will increase as the car gets some miles on the engine.
One other person in the car and no luggage or extra weight. When I say MPG around town that would kind of include some highway driving. We live very close to the freeway so it's a combination. I am hoping the motor needs more break-in time but one thing I found out is the miles to empty reading is way off. I was down to one tick on the fuel gauge and miles to empty read 110 to empty? When I filled the tank and reset the odometer, the miles to empty read 550. If I could see 550 miles on a tank of gas, I'd be in heaven.
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 WRX: driving techniques for fuel economy? exk20z3kid Newbies & FAQs 32 08-30-2012 11:47 AM
2009 Impreza Fuel Economy Jon [in CT] News & Rumors 54 08-22-2008 09:19 PM
Fuel Economy Issues Nitrous Newbies & FAQs 25 12-13-2007 08:56 PM
2008 Impreza & WRX EPA Fuel Economy WraithAkaMrak News & Rumors 12 07-25-2007 01:38 AM
I think my fuel guage is messed up...or fuel economy GooseMan Service & Maintenance 6 05-02-2003 03:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.