Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 27, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default 2012 Impreza DRL delete

I want to disable the DRL's & still have high beam functionality. I've pulled the DRL fuse under the hood which works for getting rid of the DRLs but get's rid of the high beams. I can hear a clicking noise coming from under the glove box some times when I turn my high beams on & off rapidly. This leads me to believe it's the same set up as older models & the DRL set up is under the glove. I tried taking off the glove box, got 6 screws off & it still wouldn't come off & I didn't want to mess with it anymore because I don't wanna break it.

Has anyone successfully disabled the DRLs on a 2012 impreza while keeping the high beams functional?

Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
BryanP5555
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314731
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
SWP

Default

In for answers also
BryanP5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
somebody else
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21618
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: southern California
Default

Why are we disabling Daytime Running Lights?
somebody else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
awdG35killer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75698
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2013 Legacy 2.5i
RMK #2 !!!

Default

I disabled them on my legacy when i installed hid's. Didn't want them on all the time.
awdG35killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Default

i know on the 08s, they have a relay that gets unplugged that is behind the pass side headlight. its in front of the airbox.
424wrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
i know on the 08s, they have a relay that gets unplugged that is behind the pass side headlight. its in front of the airbox.
I looked for that & checked the whole engine bay, wasn't able to find anything. I hope someone finds how to do this soon...
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Obsidian.Stephen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315640
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i 5d
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

If you disable your DRLs I recommend making sure your insurance company isn't giving you a discount for them. If they investigated after an accident and found that out they might decide your policy was invalid. I don't have any past experience to back that up but with insurance companies I like to play it safe.
Obsidian.Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzda View Post
I looked for that & checked the whole engine bay, wasn't able to find anything. I hope someone finds how to do this soon...
its not easily seen. its under and in front of the airbox. if you have it you could get to it from under the car too. take off the engine cover it should be right below the pass headlight. its a little box with a plug coming out.. just unplug and secure that connection from water.
424wrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
its not easily seen. its under and in front of the airbox. if you have it you could get to it from under the car too. take off the engine cover it should be right below the pass headlight. its a little box with a plug coming out.. just unplug and secure that connection from water.
The way that the set up is in the 12 impreza it looks like there isn't any room at all under the air box. I didn't remove it, but it looks like there wouldn't be anything under there. Has anyone actually tried removing the air box to try & find this plug?
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
BIGD070572
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312836
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2012 sport prem. 5dr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default found this info

I have not tried this, only found the info on removal


LIGHTING SYSTEM > Day Time Running Resistor
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the ground cable from battery.

2. Lift up the vehicle.

3. Remove the screw and clips, and turn over the front side of the mud guard - front.



4. Remove the resistor assembly - daytime running light.
CAUTION:
The resistor may become hot. Be careful not to burn yourself when removing it.

(1) Disconnect the connector.

(2) Remove the bolts, then remove the resistor assembly - daytime running light.
BIGD070572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Blktrax
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Havelock, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 213K Mi.
Original Motor and Turbo

Default

M/B Fuse No.7 (underhood fuse box) disables power to the DRL relay then to the resistor; But still allows power to the Body control unit.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGD070572 View Post
I have not tried this, only found the info on removal


LIGHTING SYSTEM > Day Time Running Resistor
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the ground cable from battery.

2. Lift up the vehicle.

3. Remove the screw and clips, and turn over the front side of the mud guard - front.



4. Remove the resistor assembly - daytime running light.
CAUTION:
The resistor may become hot. Be careful not to burn yourself when removing it.

(1) Disconnect the connector.

(2) Remove the bolts, then remove the resistor assembly - daytime running light.
Has anyone tried this?
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzda View Post
Has anyone tried this?
i see 2 red x instaed of pics. you mean the plug right behind the passenger headlight? thats the correct way to delete the drls. unplug that and seal it from moisture. all the other lights will still work like normal. ive done it.
424wrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
njwrxman21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132568
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Flanders, New jersey
Vehicle:
03 wrx
wrb

Default

Oops. Didn't read and see last post was from April. Sorry.
njwrxman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
JavaBot
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 156723
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Illadelph
Vehicle:
05 crp foresterX
rip 2.0i/2.5rs

Default

Anyone have pics of where this is on new body style?
JavaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
JavaBot
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 156723
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Illadelph
Vehicle:
05 crp foresterX
rip 2.0i/2.5rs

Default

Found it, 2 push clips under the car beneath the pass side headlight u can reach the plug. Ha to take off scoop part of intake only. Fuse 7 is whole high beam don't use it because your drls are high beams at half power and if you do it yea you have no drls but also no high beams at all!
JavaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #17
ronjr8102
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216040
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0i5dr
dark metallic grey

Default

I unplugged the DRLs yesterday. It easier than I thought.
Took out the airbox and was right under the passenger headlight bolted to the frame. It is a gray plug with a heat cooling thing attached to it.
I unplugged it and taped up both ends and zipped tied the plug to the bracket.
Presto- no DRLS.
ronjr8102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Wiscon_Mark
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94945
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Plover, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Sport Limited DGM

Default

For anybody who wants a guide with pictures that might have stumbled across this thread, here's a good one for any 12+ Impreza or Crosstrek: http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/l...ghts-drls.html
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #19
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338666
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northeast Ohio
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Default

I never understood why anybody would want to defeat the lighting system on any vehicle. Lets assume that most reading this are smart enough to realize that lighting does more than just help you see. It helps you BE SEEN! If those lights keep someone from pulling out in front of you only once, and that saves your bacon and/or the other persons, they have saved you tons of aggravation and perhaps money, regardless of who is at fault.

Defeat the lights, just to be cool.............

Am I the only person here that has moved out to make a pass and suddenly realized there was an oncoming vehicle? I seriously doubt it. Hell, I leave the headlights and fogs on always. They turn off the moment you remove the key from the ignition, so why not. The next time you're driving early or late in the day, when the sun is in YOUR EYES, pay attention to oncoming vehicles, and take note of the ones you can easily pick out when you're being blinded.

To each his/her own I suppose.

Flame suit on.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
drpoop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
I never understood why anybody would want to defeat the lighting system on any vehicle. Lets assume that most reading this are smart enough to realize that lighting does more than just help you see. It helps you BE SEEN! If those lights keep someone from pulling out in front of you only once, and that saves your bacon and/or the other persons, they have saved you tons of aggravation and perhaps money, regardless of who is at fault.

Defeat the lights, just to be cool.............

Am I the only person here that has moved out to make a pass and suddenly realized there was an oncoming vehicle? I seriously doubt it. Hell, I leave the headlights and fogs on always. They turn off the moment you remove the key from the ignition, so why not. The next time you're driving early or late in the day, when the sun is in YOUR EYES, pay attention to oncoming vehicles, and take note of the ones you can easily pick out when you're being blinded.

To each his/her own I suppose.

Flame suit on.

John
If weather conditions are such that I need to be burning up my filaments to have reasonable safety, then I'd much rather have my pretty bright headlights on than some barely lit high beam bulbs. DRLs are a dumb**** driver enabler, like blind spot monitoring and pre-collision braking, I can't tell you how many idiots I see driving with really dim DRLs on when they should have their regular headlights on.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #21
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338666
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northeast Ohio
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Default

Ok, I'll bite.

If you read what I wrote, you will see that I run lights all the time. I don't need the DRL's because I don't use them. In the 10 years I had my REX, I replaced TWO headlight bulbs and a fog light bulb, so I call bull s**t on the bulb argument! No bulb replacement on the '13 I had or the '14 I have either. That is an accumulated total of 13 years.

All the nanny devices in the world is not going to fix stupid! That, by the way, is completely beside my point.

My point, plain and simple, is this: If noticing a set of lights on another car or motorcycle keeps you from pulling out and being hit, or keeps your kid from running out in the street, because the vehicle was otherwise unnoticed, then maybe, just maybe, defeating something like this is not the best idea.

Personally I'm all for education over control, but that is not the subject here. State law here is lights 1/2 hour before dusk and 1/2 hour after dawn. Lights on if wipers are in use.(Rain) Same in many if not all states. I see LEO's not observing this! Like I said, you can't fix stupid.

You do whatever you want. I will withhold further comment.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #22
drpoop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

If you read what I wrote, you will see that I run lights all the time. I don't need the DRL's because I don't use them. In the 10 years I had my REX, I replaced TWO headlight bulbs and a fog light bulb, so I call bull s**t on the bulb argument! No bulb replacement on the '13 I had or the '14 I have either. That is an accumulated total of 13 years.

All the nanny devices in the world is not going to fix stupid! That, by the way, is completely beside my point.

My point, plain and simple, is this: If noticing a set of lights on another car or motorcycle keeps you from pulling out and being hit, or keeps your kid from running out in the street, because the vehicle was otherwise unnoticed, then maybe, just maybe, defeating something like this is not the best idea.

Personally I'm all for education over control, but that is not the subject here. State law here is lights 1/2 hour before dusk and 1/2 hour after dawn. Lights on if wipers are in use.(Rain) Same in many if not all states. I see LEO's not observing this! Like I said, you can't fix stupid.

You do whatever you want. I will withhold further comment.

John
I have a question, don't ask why I'm asking it because I won't remember my drunk logic tomorrow. But, do you own a radar detector?
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #23
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338666
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northeast Ohio
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Limited
SWP/Blk Leather CVT

Default

No, I do not, nor have I ever, owned/used a radar detector.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 impreza! 2012ruimpreza Newbies & FAQs 4 04-14-2012 03:02 AM
07 WRX DRL delete = dim low beams? thunder_lizard_1976 Electrical & Lighting 12 08-12-2008 02:54 PM
07 STi DRL delete justpunchit Newbies & FAQs 2 07-28-2008 11:59 PM
06 sti drl delete problem evo 3ater Interior & Exterior Modification 7 05-18-2008 06:24 PM
07 STI owners done DRL delete? springwrxsti Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 31 04-20-2007 05:41 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.