Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #11626
imprzya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12181
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Vehicle:
2004 STi WRBro
15 Forester Touring

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigher View Post
Quick question -

The Strake Kit states that it is only for the Sport, is there any reason this won't fit on the other models?
The sport is the only model with the side skirts unless you get a canadian version, and the strakes are make to fit over the side skirts, same with the aero mud guards, so they will only fit a sport.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by imprzya; 05-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.
imprzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #11627
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Probably because they assumed the dealer would have done the right thing and perform proper PDI. I can't believe how lazy some dealers are.
I asked my salesman while the paperwork was being finalized if they were going to adjust the tire pressure and he said "sure, it's on the checklist".

So I checked it the following morning and they were all over 40 psi.

Ya'll need to check your tire pressure, your oil, and everything else and not count on someone else to do it for you -- if you are having the dealer service your car I sure hope you are smart enough to look over the work afterwards to make sure all the lug nuts are there and they are tight and there is oil in the engine.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #11628
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I asked my salesman while the paperwork was being finalized if they were going to adjust the tire pressure and he said "sure, it's on the checklist".

So I checked it the following morning and they were all over 40 psi.

Ya'll need to check your tire pressure, your oil, and everything else and not count on someone else to do it for you -- if you are having the dealer service your car I sure hope you are smart enough to look over the work afterwards to make sure all the lug nuts are there and they are tight and there is oil in the engine.
Yeah I don't trust the dealership for stuff, which is why I do things myself (unless it's under warranty). When I had to replace the moonroof sunshade because it was damaged at delivery, I specifically requested them to give me the part for me to install it myself because there are a ton of things to be removed and they probably would have screwed up something.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #11629
tomwi53092
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316315
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Mequon, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Imp HB/Prem/CVT
DCP

Default

Impreza April sales still hot.
Impreza was the only Subaru model to post a sales gain for April 2012 vs April 2011
Still solidly the #2 seller behind the Outback.
I'm sure $4 a gallon gas had something to do with this.
Just imagine how many they could have sold if they were on the car lots.
I'll bet Subaru is thinking that too, and looking into building them in the USA.

More importantly, good sales should mean more aftermarket products for us.

Carline Apr-12 Apr-11 % Chg Apr-12 Apr-11 % Chg
MTD MTD MTD YTD YTD YTD
Forester 5666 6714 -15.61% 22540 26483 -14.89%
Impreza 6791 3029 124.20% 27891 10816 157.87%
Impreza WRX 1352 1338 1.05% 4181 4921 -15.04%
Legacy 3799 3975 -4.43% 15916 14195 12.12%
Outback 8548 9465 -9.69% 35608 34894 2.05%
Tribeca 154 241 -36.10% 742 910 -18.46%
TOTAL 26310 24762 6.25% 106878 92219 15.90%
tomwi53092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #11630
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Good to see - I'm guessing the current sales numbers will become the norm - if you want good mpgs AND awd, the impreza is by far the best deal going (not to mention it is easily one of the cheapest AWD cars available as well). Couple that with top ratings from consumer reports and it isn't really a surprise they are doing so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwi53092 View Post
Impreza April sales still hot.
Impreza was the only Subaru model to post a sales gain for April 2012 vs April 2011
Still solidly the #2 seller behind the Outback.
I'm sure $4 a gallon gas had something to do with this.
Just imagine how many they could have sold if they were on the car lots.
I'll bet Subaru is thinking that too, and looking into building them in the USA.

More importantly, good sales should mean more aftermarket products for us.

Carline Apr-12 Apr-11 % Chg Apr-12 Apr-11 % Chg
MTD MTD MTD YTD YTD YTD
Forester 5666 6714 -15.61% 22540 26483 -14.89%
Impreza 6791 3029 124.20% 27891 10816 157.87%
Impreza WRX 1352 1338 1.05% 4181 4921 -15.04%
Legacy 3799 3975 -4.43% 15916 14195 12.12%
Outback 8548 9465 -9.69% 35608 34894 2.05%
Tribeca 154 241 -36.10% 742 910 -18.46%
TOTAL 26310 24762 6.25% 106878 92219 15.90%
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #11631
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Yeah I don't trust the dealership for stuff, which is why I do things myself (unless it's under warranty). When I had to replace the moonroof sunshade because it was damaged at delivery, I specifically requested them to give me the part for me to install it myself because there are a ton of things to be removed and they probably would have screwed up something.
same here. as good as my sales experience was, my tires were overpressured (although not at 45psi ,but 36, so they released some but not all of the pressure?), and the "detail job" was shoddy...lots of pieces of the white plastic covering still in the hood openings, water marks in the mirrors and other sticky residue from removed protective coverings.

but this is also what i've witnessed from other makes/dealers including honda/toyota in recent years.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #11632
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default Jack up plate (front)

So, messing around last night, i confirmed what i saw in the shop manual i downloaded (bought on ebay)...there is indeed a jack plate just behind the drain plug under the Impreza 2.0i that one can use to jack up the car.

i was lucky (partially): my "normal" jack just fits under there and clears. however, to jack up the car, i can't swing my "lift arm" to big of an arc due to limited clearance. but with some patience, i can indeed jack the car up with my standard floor jack. the are is so nice and broad, there is no real need to put a piece of wood or hockey buck in the "cradle" of my floor jack.

i still need to figure out though, the jack stand issue. has anyone tried to place jack stands inboard or outboard of the pinch welds. my existing jack stands, i think are too shallow and so if i were to use them, all of the load would come down to the pinch weld which i'm guessing would cause them to bend.

so my solution is to either get another set of jack stands that fit this car well (if people have ones that work well to distribute the weight around the pinch weld like the OEM jack, please let me/us know!), or as some have suggested, just buy some ramps...

i also have come to the conclusion that changing oil on this car without raising it should be easier than my wife's prius (which i did last night) since the drain plug is reachable and the oil filter is on top.

my only minor concern with changing the oil without lifting the car is for the first oil change and if somehow (likely?) the factory overtightened the drain plug. i won't have much leverage on my socket wrench from the angle/distance i'm working from...after the first change, this should be an issue, but i am a little worried about the first change. guess i should just invite a strong friend over, just in case.

anyway, any jackstand experiences would be appreciated!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #11633
Obsidian.Stephen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315640
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i 5d
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Why would anyone drive 1500 miles without checking their tire pressure? Because the TPMS light wasn't lit?

I corrected the tire pressure the next morning after driving it home when the tires were cold and check them every couple of weeks.
As others guessed I wasn't aware of the issue until I came upon it here by accident. Silly me for assuming the dealership would prep the car correctly before selling it. And no the TPMS light never came on even after extended highway driving in the sun.
Obsidian.Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #11634
the_dog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 287417
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt Lmt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian.Stephen View Post
As others guessed I wasn't aware of the issue until I came upon it here by accident. Silly me for assuming the dealership would prep the car correctly before selling it. And no the TPMS light never came on even after extended highway driving in the sun.
The TPMS light only comes on if the tire pressure drops a certain amount, not if the tires are over inflated.
the_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #11635
adowdell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108860
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Marshalltown, IA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

pics of my dgm '12 2.0i






adowdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #11636
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog View Post
The TPMS light only comes on if the tire pressure drops a certain amount, not if the tires are over inflated.
I knew that.

My point was no one should wait for an idiot light to tell them to periodically check the tire pressure or the level of the oil on their dipstick -- if you are picking up a new car or a used car check you should inspect it when you get it home to make sure everything is correct before you start racking up the miles.

Those are simple checks, and I'd also recommend you check your lugnuts if you have someone else rotating your tires (or removing the wheels to inspect your brakes, etc) and check the dipstick if you have someone else doing your oil changes to make sure there is oil in the car and the oil isn't dissapearing.

Nobody else is really going to care about your car that much (at least not as much as you should).
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #11637
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog View Post
The TPMS light only comes on if the tire pressure drops a certain amount, not if the tires are over inflated.
doesn't it also come on when the pressure is uneven between the four tires?
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #11638
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adowdell View Post
pics of my dgm '12 2.0i
nice. i have the same car but in limited. i actually like your wheels better than mine: less expensive tire size and easier to clean!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #11639
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog View Post
The TPMS light only comes on if the tire pressure drops a certain amount, not if the tires are over inflated.
NOT true. TPMS will trigger with over-inflated tires as well. It has to be very high for it it trigger. Has happened to me while autocrossing my STI before, which has the same system.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #11640
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
NOT true. TPMS will trigger with over-inflated tires as well. It has to be very high for it it trigger. Has happened to me while autocrossing my STI before, which has the same system.
I was going to say the same thing. I thought the manual states that it's for both too high and too low?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #11641
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default alternative to fumoto

have any of you guys used the aeroquip instead?

looks interesting and maybe more robust than Fumoto. a little more costly, but if you own more than one car, you can use the same "outtake valve/hose."

eg,
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...6.html?t=41746
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #11642
Ladeef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318753
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Grey

Default

I have three years of free maintenance but I still will be double checking things. I like to pop the hood open every now and then to check out how things are going under there.
Ladeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #11643
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeef View Post
I have three years of free maintenance but I still will be double checking things. I like to pop the hood open every now and then to check out how things are going under there.
i actually have to say that while i was hyper diligent about "self checking the car" many years ago, i've gotten more lazy.

with my previous (prior to this car) 3 mo oil change interval, i rarely checked the dipstick between changes (i check prior to draining to see if there is any notable burning/consumption), and probably check tire pressure every 2 months or so.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #11644
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default center console tray

useful? like it?

it's a mere $20, but i was wondering if it was helpful and or useful.

it seems like the center console storage "bin" is pretty cavernous (i've just thrown some random things in there including my old ipod, tire gauge, leatherman...i can't imagine wanting to use the tray for my ipod (since it's solely used in this vehicle, but i'm wondering if it would help a bit with organization...on the flipside, is it too shallow for anything other than an ipod or cell phone?
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #11645
Ladeef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318753
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
i actually have to say that while i was hyper diligent about "self checking the car" many years ago, i've gotten more lazy.

with my previous (prior to this car) 3 mo oil change interval, i rarely checked the dipstick between changes (i check prior to draining to see if there is any notable burning/consumption), and probably check tire pressure every 2 months or so.
I came from a Saab 9-5, this is my first new car so I'm used to opening the hood about every week to make sure everything "looks" ok. You wouldn't believe how much time I put into that thing to keep it running.
Ladeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #11646
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub
useful? like it?

it's a mere $20, but i was wondering if it was helpful and or useful.

it seems like the center console storage "bin" is pretty cavernous (i've just thrown some random things in there including my old ipod, tire gauge, leatherman...i can't imagine wanting to use the tray for my ipod (since it's solely used in this vehicle, but i'm wondering if it would help a bit with organization...on the flipside, is it too shallow for anything other than an ipod or cell phone?
I have it & like it. Didn't order it with the car but off eBay later at zero savings. Still cost as much. It's too shallow for anything other than an iPod or cell phone. My issue is that I have a dedicated iPod for my car & it was getting buried under things. Some of my menus don't translate to the stereo menus since it's an older iPod so I prefer the console tray to have easy access to it. Also I can "hide" things under it if I didn't want something in plain view of a passenger if they happen to look in the console quickly. I'm just used to having a privacy area there & prefer it.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #11647
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky

I have it & like it. Didn't order it with the car but off eBay later at zero savings. Still cost as much. It's too shallow for anything other than an iPod or cell phone. My issue is that I have a dedicated iPod for my car & it was getting buried under things. Some of my menus don't translate to the stereo menus since it's an older iPod so I prefer the console tray to have easy access to it. Also I can "hide" things under it if I didn't want something in plain view of a passenger if they happen to look in the console quickly. I'm just used to having a privacy area there & prefer it.
Thx for sharing your experiences.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #11648
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
useful? like it?

it's a mere $20, but i was wondering if it was helpful and or useful.

it seems like the center console storage "bin" is pretty cavernous (i've just thrown some random things in there including my old ipod, tire gauge, leatherman...i can't imagine wanting to use the tray for my ipod (since it's solely used in this vehicle, but i'm wondering if it would help a bit with organization...on the flipside, is it too shallow for anything other than an ipod or cell phone?
Bought it with the anticipation with putting my cell phone in it. Unfortunately my phone is too tall for the tray. I have a Droid RAZR Maxx and it will not fit with a car charger. Kind of an expensive piece of plastic IMO, but worth it if your phone fits.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #11649
elkgrovejerry
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301355
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Camilla Red Pearl

Default

FYI cleaning windshield pushed down on hood for balance hood indented but popped back up be careful hood fragile. Also you can buy from Subaru a donut coaster to raise up cup holders works great cost about $6.00 used in Legacy and Forester.
elkgrovejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #11650
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgrovejerry View Post
FYI cleaning windshield pushed down on hood for balance hood indented but popped back up be careful hood fragile. Also you can buy from Subaru a donut coaster to raise up cup holders works great cost about $6.00 used in Legacy and Forester.
I've been using a makeshift one, a stack of post its works well. I'll have to check this out though. Do you have a link? Haven't seen one.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.