Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #1051
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP31 View Post
Phil - Here's a pic of mine and I did exactly what you're thinking of. FPR and Y-block mounted to a bracket that mounts to the dogbone mount. Maybe I'll make it to the meet Thursday and you can take a closer look.

That's perfect Ray!

Yeah, I could see your FPR through your hood scoop delete, and was wondering how you had it.

If you're not able to make it thursday, PM me when you have a free moment. I'm close by.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #1052
ec2k1gt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129631
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Plainfield, IL
Vehicle:
06 Obp Sti
back to slow lolz

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo View Post
Vic,

That looks pretty sweet.

Are you back to modding the STi?
Phil,

Yes, hoping to have the new setup running by the shootout. Going with a 6266 this time around.

If your running a fuelab fpr you can mount it right above the pitch stop on the firewall without having to fab up any additional brackets.

You can also slide the bracket they supply between the brake lines on the firewall, and secure it with some self tapping screws for a really clean install.





Quote:
Originally Posted by traction issuez View Post
looks good, who made that surge tank? I'm in the market for one.
Forge motorsports, it's a bit larger then the one on the website. It's a 2 liter compared to the 1.5 listed below.

Anything larger then the 1.5 is built to order and shipped out from their UK headquarters.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMPSP075
ec2k1gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #1053
jnorth85
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 76785
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DSM iowa
Vehicle:
2000 580Whp The RSTI
SRP

Default



My system about ready to go in!

With fuelab's E regulator its only 2 port so I need to install a T just before the regulator.

Other than that im nearly ready!
jnorth85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #1054
jkopinga
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220799
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Taiwan
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
WRC Blue

Default

Good stuff!! At least you took off the Fuel Pressure Gauge... Most won't and they start leaking and absorbing fuel and becoming unaccurate as hell..... Thumbs up!!

Looking good. Keep it up and let me know the results!

Cheers,

Jasper.
jkopinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #1055
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

alright, for now until I can afford the swirl pot and SS hardlines, I'm doing the lines from the firewall.

I bought some tubing adapters with the compression ferrell. Should I use those or tube nuts and sleeves and flare the lines?

And also for those who have bought and are waiting to install or are thinking about buying Aeromotive fuel rails, you need to use low profile ORB fittings on the front of the rails, if you are staying stock location turbo.

I wish I was rotated everything would be so much easier...

has anyone cleaned up the manifold wiring? (made it easier to run and look cleaner)

-Phil

I'll take pics and do a write up when I start. As soon as it stops raining here and I can take the car apart again..
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1056
jnorth85
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 76785
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DSM iowa
Vehicle:
2000 580Whp The RSTI
SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo
alright, for now until I can afford the swirl pot and SS hardlines, I'm doing the lines from the firewall.

I bought some tubing adapters with the compression ferrell. Should I use those or tube nuts and sleeves and flare the lines?

And also for those who have bought and are waiting to install or are thinking about buying Aeromotive fuel rails, you need to use low profile ORB fittings on the front of the rails, if you are staying stock location turbo.

I wish I was rotated everything would be so much easier...

has anyone cleaned up the manifold wiring? (made it easier to run and look cleaner)

-Phil

I'll take pics and do a write up when I start. As soon as it stops raining here and I can take the car apart again..
I used standard 90* fittings on the front and rear of my aeromotive rails, and I am still stock location turbo
The ORB adapters i used were just standard earls adapters. I didn't get anything special I dont think!
jnorth85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1057
traction issuez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86559
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2005 RS Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo View Post
I bought some tubing adapters with the compression ferrell. Should I use those or tube nuts and sleeves and flare the lines?
If you have the tools to conduct a 37 degree flare, then I would do the flare.
If you don't have the tool and don't want to spend extra money in acquiring the tool, then I would get compression fittings. But I have to say, flaring is consider a lot safer compared to compression fittings; so I would told in the past. I've always done 37 degree ever since I started; indeed for peace of mind, and had no issues in regards of leakages.

This is the tool I often use: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900311/

However, since you have already bought the compression fittings -- just keep them and use them. No point in selling and losing out when you have it already. Compression fittings does it job if it was installed correctly.
traction issuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #1058
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction issuez View Post
If you have the tools to conduct a 37 degree flare, then I would do the flare.
If you don't have the tool and don't want to spend extra money in acquiring the tool, then I would get compression fittings. But I have to say, flaring is consider a lot safer compared to compression fittings; so I would told in the past. I've always done 37 degree ever since I started and had no issues in regards of leakages.

This is the tool I often use: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900311/

However, since you have already bought the compression fittings -- just keep them and use them. No point in selling and losing out when you have it already. Compression fittings does it job if it was installed correctly.
I have the flaring tool, I bought the compression adapters because it looks like its a bitch to get the flaring tool in that tight space.

I don't even know how I'm going to cut the OEM line yet. I have a tubing cutter but it's super tight.

I want to keep the OEM dampers but that Marren piece looks so nice. hmmmm


damn Kellgnsd and his sexy ass setup!
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1059
traction issuez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86559
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2005 RS Wagon

Default

To cut the lines, they do have mini cutters. But if you are extremely SURE the lines are clean and fuel free -- it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS -- you can use a dremel to cut it.

Where are you trying to cut it? in the engine bay? you can probably bend the lines out to cut it and bend it back in.
traction issuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #1060
Hold_Fast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175837
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philly Burbs
Vehicle:
#61 ESP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo View Post
I have the flaring tool, I bought the compression adapters because it looks like its a bitch to get the flaring tool in that tight space.

I don't even know how I'm going to cut the OEM line yet. I have a tubing cutter but it's super tight.

I want to keep the OEM dampers but that Marren piece looks so nice. hmmmm


damn Kellgnsd and his sexy ass setup!
I had the same dillema. I ended up using a small hacksaw to cut the OEM line, cleaning up the cut, then using a compression fitting. The fitting hasn't leaked so far, and I just did a driving school which had the car up in boost a TON.
Hold_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #1061
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

I got one of the rails on today and cleaned up some of the wiring.

The driver side is going to be much easier to do.





I'll take a few more pics tomorrow when I finish. I still need to get a y block and 2 fittings.

I have a crap load of -6AN Staights hose ends Aeroquip fittings if anyone needs a few. Brand new still in the box.

I'm using Fragola fittings/kevlar hose for the front and aeroquip/SSbraided in the back, with some fire sleeve.
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #1062
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32452
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Turbo
74F FTW

Default

The olive/compression fitting is commonly used in Hydraulic aplications at much higher pressures then the fuel pressure on our cars, so I would use them without any doubt.

Cutting the hardlines near the bulkhead is easy enough with a small hacksaw and a new blade, I would NOT use a dremel, it only takes a small amount of residual vapours in the line to start a fire.It is a small chance, but as one can prevent it with taking 5 minutes more and using a hacksaw instead of a dremel it seems quite daft to do.
Dutch Scooby lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #1063
slowgenius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48350
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
04 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo

I'm using Fragola fittings/kevlar hose for the front and aeroquip/SSbraided in the back, with some fire sleeve.
You read my mind! I was just getting ready to ask if anyone had experience with Fragola stuff. Keep us posted on your experience!
slowgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #1064
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

I've heard mixed stuff, I work at a machine shop and a lot of the customers who come in swear by XRP.

I get a good deal on fragola, and aeroquip, so I'm going to try the fragola. I've used the aeroquip stuff and I think the quality is great, better than Earls. Earls has more of a selection though.

The fragola stuff seems pretty decent, I'm using the hard Anodized fittings (black)

-Phil
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #1065
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Scooby lover View Post
The olive/compression fitting is commonly used in Hydraulic aplications at much higher pressures then the fuel pressure on our cars, so I would use them without any doubt.

Cutting the hardlines near the bulkhead is easy enough with a small hacksaw and a new blade, I would NOT use a dremel, it only takes a small amount of residual vapours in the line to start a fire.It is a small chance, but as one can prevent it with taking 5 minutes more and using a hacksaw instead of a dremel it seems quite daft to do.
The single olive type compression fitting is not used so much in high pressure industrial applications anymore since the advent of the dual ferrule Swagelok type compression fittings. The single olive type compression fitting is used mostly in home plumbing and water applications. I doubt you'll have a problem with the single olive you're but if you could get a Swagelok tubing to AN adapter that would be bullet proof but you need to get those from a hydraulic distributor.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #1066
slowgenius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48350
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
04 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzogonzo View Post

The fragola stuff seems pretty decent, I'm using the hard Anodized fittings (black)

-Phil
Thanks! I was particularly interested in how the PTFE fuel line they carry performs. I need to run new fuel lines from my surge tank and back, and all the lines for the rails, etc. I have most of the fittings i need from Aeromotive, but i want to use the Fragola lines and hose ends.
slowgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #1067
Flat 4 Motorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 295846
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Crook County, Illinois
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgenius View Post
Thanks! I was particularly interested in how the PTFE fuel line they carry performs. I need to run new fuel lines from my surge tank and back, and all the lines for the rails, etc. I have most of the fittings i need from Aeromotive, but i want to use the Fragola lines and hose ends.
I'm just using the regular braided line, which uses an elastomer inner tube that's safe for alcohol, hydrocarbon fuels, coolant, pretty much any type of volatile liquid you can use and it's supposed to not seep. so we'll see.

The shop I work for builds top fuel dragster engines and pro-mods and unless the customer specifically asks for PTFE lines, we just use the regular stuff.

One of my buddies circle tracks his CRX and has run non PTFE lines for 5 years with no issues.
Flat 4 Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1068
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 4 Motorsport View Post
I'm just using the regular braided line, which uses an elastomer inner tube that's safe for alcohol, hydrocarbon fuels, coolant, pretty much any type of volatile liquid you can use and it's supposed to not seep. so we'll see.

The shop I work for builds top fuel dragster engines and pro-mods and unless the customer specifically asks for PTFE lines, we just use the regular stuff.

One of my buddies circle tracks his CRX and has run non PTFE lines for 5 years with no issues.
I went with the Earl's Perform-O-Flex hose and after the fact got worried that it would weep gas fumes but its been setting in my garage for the past few months pressurized and there is no gas smell in the garage

I'm not 100% sure on its E85 compatibility but I don't plan on running E85 anyway.

What hose did you go with?
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #1069
Flat 4 Motorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 295846
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Crook County, Illinois
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
I went with the Earl's Perform-O-Flex hose and after the fact got worried that it would weep gas fumes but its been setting in my garage for the past few months pressurized and there is no gas smell in the garage

I'm not 100% sure on its E85 compatibility but I don't plan on running E85 anyway.

What hose did you go with?
I'm using the Aeroquip AQP hose with aeroquip fittings and fragola black nylon race hose with fragola fittings.

I picked up this today in lieu of using the Earls Y adapter. This was $20 cheaper and you dont need to buy any fittings, it's -6AN inlets and outlets.



I also modified the coolant overflow so I can run braided line instead of the rubber hose.



-Phil
Flat 4 Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #1070
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

I ended up just using the Fragola nylon race hose and fragola fittings.

I like how the black looks.

I need to shorten some lines and run them under the manifold, I just wanted to see how the FPR would look mounted in this spot. It looks awesome! needs to be mounted but you get the idea, and it's away from the turbo. There's a threaded spot to mount the bracket as well.

I still need to convert the hardlines to -6 but here are a few pics:




I also took some pics to compare Fragola, Aeroquip, and Earls hose ends so you guys could see the differences.

from left to right: Fragola, Aeroquip, Earls






The Fragola and the Aeroquip both are pretty similar. I prefer those over the Earls, they seem to cut into the hose better.


-Phil
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1071
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

What line of Earl's fitting is that? The swivel seal are a little different.

kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1072
ronzogonzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136671
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Bartlett,Il
Vehicle:
WRX HTA GT3076R
9cm2 eWG'd It's ALIVE!!

Default

I believe it's an autofit.

Do the swivel seal cut into the hose?
ronzogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #1073
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Yes they do. The inner barrel goes inside the hose and the cutter is the outer edge


Last edited by kellygnsd; 05-06-2012 at 12:44 AM.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #1074
Flat 4 Motorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 295846
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Crook County, Illinois
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

Default

I finished helping Roman (Frogmonk) with his PTFE lines today.

He made the bracket for the FPR and Y adapter, it came out awesome. Just needs some paint and it will be finished.

The PTFE lines are a bitch to work with. I would prefer using the Aeroquip AQP or Fragola hose, The PTFE line is not very flexible. If you're running high alcohol base fuel the PTFE is probably best.

Race gas contains additives and lubricants that won't dry out the hose so I would not use the PTFE if you're running race or pump gas.







I want a Cosworth manifold!! So nice

-Phil

Last edited by Flat 4 Motorsport; 05-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Flat 4 Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #1075
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

^^^^^^^

Pretty. Have you test fit the mani with that bracket on? My bracket was close to my coolant crossover pipe and that looks a bit lower.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need APS fuel system and tumbler deletes to use APS fuel rails? GoRacerXGo Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 1 06-17-2005 02:07 AM
Difference between fuel SYSTEM cleaner and fuel INJECTOR cleaner? burnout555 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 3 12-17-2003 11:52 AM
Maximum HP on stock RS fuel system with walbro fuel pump Chav Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 11 06-17-2002 03:42 PM
fuel system managment system jeffsnyder Normally Aspirated Powertrain 2 09-23-2001 01:13 PM
Fuel Injectors / Fuel system JC SPORTS Technical Forum Archive 75 07-14-2000 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.