Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #12151
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3102
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northern, CT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexracer
Anybody have a Graco stroller that has any fitment issues for transporting it in the back?
With my 5 door i can get the single graco stroller in or our jogging stroller, the new double stroller doesn't fit, luckily we have a Forester too.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #12152
TObject
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320185
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody else View Post
They are Toyota/Lexus clips...
Much appreciated.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #12153
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

just checked my tire pressure, not quite what it should be, but 36-38psi. a lot better than the 45 some were seeing from the dealer
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #12154
dorkbert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309901
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i 5D
Black

Default

I think that's the harness for the fog light switch or some such. Do you have fog light installed already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Noobie View Post
? I posted a pic... I can see it just fine. Hmm... I linked the pic from SkyDrive. Maybe I'm the only one that can view it

Edit: NM, I didn't realize I didn't make the file public. Should be viewable now.

dorkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #12155
Haunty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319378
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: West Central MN
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport Ltd.
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
just checked my tire pressure, not quite what it should be, but 36-38psi. a lot better than the 45 some were seeing from the dealer
Mine were over 40 from the dealer, lol. I let the air out to put them at the right psi.
Haunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #12156
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
I think that's the harness for the fog light switch or some such. Do you have fog light installed already?
I have that too and I have the sport premium, which has the fog lights.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #12157
Jakesnake113
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319615
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Ive got the 2.0i 5door and i took it on a trip this weekend. I discovered with 3 passengers and 2 bikes on back i wasnt able to make it up the bigger hills in 5th gear going 70 mph. Would it be unwise to downshift to 4th a rev it at 4,000 rpm for a few minutes?
Jakesnake113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #12158
An owned guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313318
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesnake113
Ive got the 2.0i 5door and i took it on a trip this weekend. I discovered with 3 passengers and 2 bikes on back i wasnt able to make it up the bigger hills in 5th gear going 70 mph. Would it be unwise to downshift to 4th a rev it at 4,000 rpm for a few minutes?
I wouldn't let rpms scare you, as long as your not pushing it to the red line. 5th is so high up you really have no choice in situations like this
An owned guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #12159
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesnake113 View Post
Ive got the 2.0i 5door and i took it on a trip this weekend. I discovered with 3 passengers and 2 bikes on back i wasnt able to make it up the bigger hills in 5th gear going 70 mph. Would it be unwise to downshift to 4th a rev it at 4,000 rpm for a few minutes?

I dont think that would be an issue either.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #12160
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

It's better to downshift than to lug the engine. Any serious hill with AC on also requires downshifting.

The engine and transmission are geared to make power in the lower three gears, 4th is ok for higher speeds but 5th is overdrive and if you try driving up a big hill in 5th with your AC and cruise on (or a lot of weight like you described) you will notice that the car cannot maintain its speed in 5th gear.

Last edited by Zeeper; 05-20-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #12161
An owned guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313318
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper
It's better to downshift than to lug the engine. Any serious hill with AC on also requires downshifting.

The engine and transmission are geared to make power in the lower three gears, 4th is ok for higher speeds but 5th is overdrive and if you try driving up a big hill in 5th with your AC and cruise on (or a lot of weight like you described) you will notice that the car cannot maintain its speed in 5th gear.
I find the 5th has trouble maintaining speed in general without giving it a decent amount of gas which ruins the purpose of the better mpg
An owned guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #12162
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An owned guy View Post
I find the 5th has trouble maintaining speed in general without giving it a decent amount of gas which ruins the purpose of the better mpg
Maintaining 40 mph at 1500 rpm? 5th has very little trouble maintaining 70 at 3k rpm unless you are going up any hill of decent grade. Just like any other vehicle.

I think some people have an unrealistic idea of what this vehicle is capable of and what their past vehicles were capable of also.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #12163
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
I think that's the harness for the fog light switch or some such. Do you have fog light installed already?
I have a Sport Premium with the fog light switch on the turn signal stalk. That would be weird if it was a harness for an additional fog light switch.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #12164
aindfan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 250146
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Black

Default

I'm not sure if this was a coincidence, but I think I felt my AC cut out when I tried to accelerate on the hill on the highway during my commute. If this is a design feature to prioritize the engine power going to the wheels instead of the AC compressor running on the serpentine belt, I'm impressed.
aindfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #12165
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindfan View Post
I'm not sure if this was a coincidence, but I think I felt my AC cut out when I tried to accelerate on the hill on the highway during my commute. If this is a design feature to prioritize the engine power going to the wheels instead of the AC compressor running on the serpentine belt, I'm impressed.
I know with my STI's that if you were at high throttle, it would disengage the compressor. Most likely the same with the '12 Impreza.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #12166
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An owned guy View Post
I find the 5th has trouble maintaining speed in general without giving it a decent amount of gas which ruins the purpose of the better mpg
No, 5th is purposely geared as an overdrive gear to reduce RPM at highway speeds and conserve gas.

It is just geared so high, with power output from the engine pretty maxed out, to be used when climbing significant grades (especially with the AC on).

Rolling hills are not a problem, I'm talking steeper climbs.

And if you want to pass quickly on the highway, you need to downshift to 4th.

The car needs to be actively 'driven' to maintain the right powerband, but I bought a manual because I like to control the powerband, and 5th gear is perfect for what it does.

The issue is the engine power, which is perfectly adequate for the lower gears and offers ample acceleration down low but not quite enough to cruise in 5th gear in the mountains.

Not that I care, I downshift. It is only for steep mountains so not all that much for me (but I don't live in Colorado).

I'd rather see my overall MPG average hitting 30mpg and have to downshift occasionally than have the fuel hog 2.5 liter engine that was in last years model and leave it in 5th while climbing mountain roads.

If you disagree, you can still trade it in for a WRX and get the power you desire, with the fuel economy that comes with it.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #12167
An owned guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313318
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper

No, 5th is purposely geared as an overdrive gear to reduce RPM at highway speeds and conserve gas.

It is just geared so high, with power output from the engine pretty maxed out, to be used when climbing significant grades (especially with the AC on).

Rolling hills are not a problem, I'm talking steeper climbs.

And if you want to pass quickly on the highway, you need to downshift to 4th.

The car needs to be actively 'driven' to maintain the right powerband, but I bought a manual because I like to control the powerband, and 5th gear is perfect for what it does.

The issue is the engine power, which is perfectly adequate for the lower gears and offers ample acceleration down low but not quite enough to cruise in 5th gear in the mountains.

Not that I care, I downshift. It is only for steep mountains so not all that much for me (but I don't live in Colorado).

I'd rather see my overall MPG average hitting 30mpg and have to downshift occasionally than have the fuel hog 2.5 liter engine that was in last years model and leave it in 5th while climbing mountain roads.

If you disagree, you can still trade it in for a WRX and get the power you desire, with the fuel economy that comes with it.
Yeah, all very true. I wish I got a wrx but it just wasn't affordable. I mostly drive short distances city so mpg wasn't really a factor in picking the impreza. This is my first car that even has overdrive so I guess I'm expecting to much. I actually wanted an 11 impreza but believe it or not they are very hard to find. 3 dealers didn't have one and couldn't get one from anywhere. Now that I have the 12 though and after driving my friends 11 I'm glad I got the 12.
An owned guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #12168
Tjohns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314510
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza2.0i 5D
Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindfan View Post
I'm not sure if this was a coincidence, but I think I felt my AC cut out when I tried to accelerate on the hill on the highway during my commute. If this is a design feature to prioritize the engine power going to the wheels instead of the AC compressor running on the serpentine belt, I'm impressed.
From the manual:

"To improve acceleration and gas mileage, the air conditioner compressor is designed to temporarily shut off during air conditioner operation whenever the accelerator is fully depressed such as during rapid acceleration or when driving on a steep upgrade."
Tjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #12169
An owned guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313318
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjohns

From the manual:

"To improve acceleration and gas mileage, the air conditioner compressor is designed to temporarily shut off during air conditioner operation whenever the accelerator is fully depressed such as during rapid acceleration or when driving on a steep upgrade."
Wow that's cool!
An owned guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #12170
ruzicka
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299973
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, Colorado, USA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default 2012 Impreza Driver's knee airbag a danger for short people?

One of my daughters has recently started to learn to drive. She is very short/petite. I've noticed that when she is in the driver's seat of my 2012 Impreza, she has to bring the seat almost all of the way up in order to reach the pedals properly. In this position, her knees/legs are almost touching the bottom panel of the dash, the area where I believe the new knee airbag is located.

Is there a danger that, being so close to the knee airbag, should the airbag deploy, my daughter's knees/legs might be damaged from the "explosion" of the airbag coming out?

Come to think of it, she's also by necessity rather close up to the steering wheel as well, so perhaps in danage of that airbag too?

Sorry if this issue has already been addressed somewhere else and I msissed it!
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #12171
Xafen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306398
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Camellia Red

Default

I don't know about the knee airbag, but for the steering wheel you should have a minimum of 10 inches of clearance between the wheel and your breastbone.

If she or anyone is unable to meet those clearances, a vehicle with movable pedals is required, or pedal extensions. Proper pedal extensions that do not impede function and safety would be essential.
Xafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #12172
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An owned guy View Post
Wow that's cool!
my first car was a 1985 Pontiac, and it did the same thing. I owned that car 13 years ago!
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #12173
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
No, 5th is purposely geared as an overdrive gear to reduce RPM at highway speeds and conserve gas.

It is just geared so high, with power output from the engine pretty maxed out, to be used when climbing significant grades (especially with the AC on).

Rolling hills are not a problem, I'm talking steeper climbs.

And if you want to pass quickly on the highway, you need to downshift to 4th.

The car needs to be actively 'driven' to maintain the right powerband, but I bought a manual because I like to control the powerband, and 5th gear is perfect for what it does.

The issue is the engine power, which is perfectly adequate for the lower gears and offers ample acceleration down low but not quite enough to cruise in 5th gear in the mountains.

Not that I care, I downshift. It is only for steep mountains so not all that much for me (but I don't live in Colorado).

I'd rather see my overall MPG average hitting 30mpg and have to downshift occasionally than have the fuel hog 2.5 liter engine that was in last years model and leave it in 5th while climbing mountain roads.

If you disagree, you can still trade it in for a WRX and get the power you desire, with the fuel economy that comes with it.

exactly. I noticed i could cruise around town at 30mph in 2nd and still achieve 32mpg and still have plenty of power if i needed to speed up quickly, or i could shift to 3rd....
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #12174
jd_24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318301
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2012 CVT Sport Prem
Ice Silver Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
I know with my STI's that if you were at high throttle, it would disengage the compressor. Most likely the same with the '12 Impreza.
That type of features has been in many makes and models since the late 80's and 90's. I believe Texas Instruments created some of the first circuits and sensors for the technology.
jd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #12175
ruzicka
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299973
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, Colorado, USA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xafen View Post
I don't know about the knee airbag, but for the steering wheel you should have a minimum of 10 inches of clearance between the wheel and your breastbone.

If she or anyone is unable to meet those clearances, a vehicle with movable pedals is required, or pedal extensions. Proper pedal extensions that do not impede function and safety would be essential.

Are these extensions a normal thing for "short" drivers? Where would I get them? Are they approved by insurance companies, etc?

I tried contacting Subaru of America, to see what minimum distance they advise...but they had no info whatever! They were totally clueless!

Thanks for the info!
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 03:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 08:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 05:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.