Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretAZ View Post
You never actually have to go to the dealer to change the oil. You are changing it as you drive it.

When in high school my friend had an 80 camaro. She told everyone that it got 50 MPG................. of oil. We didn't stop to fill up with gas, we had to stop to fill up with oil.

If my week old car burns this much oil I will be having a serious conversation with Subaru.
No one is expereincing the quart per 1200 it looks like a quart every 2700-3000. Not that its better but its not to the extreme.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
Try getting an answer. Soa just blows smoke up your butt. My car was fine till about 7k then the oil light came on...
The low oil level light comes on at 4.0 quarts. If the engine went from 5.3 to 4.0 quarts over 7k miles, it consumed 0.19 quarts per thousand miles, or about a quart every 5400 miles. Tell a BMW owner if you want to make him jealous.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Im willing to bet more people have this. Its just that almost all that buy this type of vehicle dont check their oil.
Ummm... I strongly disagree. I've checked mine every thousand miles or so, but realistically- what other new car is consuming oil at the rate of a chevy vega???
By Subarus #'s you may have to buy up to 11.55 quarts for a 7500 mile oc interval. That's unacceptable.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
The low oil level light comes on at 4.0 quarts. If the engine went from 5.3 to 4.0 quarts over 7k miles, it consumed 0.19 quarts per thousand miles, or about a quart every 5400 miles. Tell a BMW owner if you want to make him jealous.
Your math is way off. My oil was changed at 3750, it didn't keep the factory fill for 7000 miles.
It was changed at 3750 miles and last check of the dipstick was at 6000+. Between 6 and 7k is where I lost a quart +/-.
Except for the awd I doubt many beemer owners are "jealous".
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Ummm... I strongly disagree. I've checked mine every thousand miles or so, but realistically- what other new car is consuming oil at the rate of a chevy vega???
By Subarus #'s you may have to buy up to 11.55 quarts for a 7500 mile oc interval. That's unacceptable.
Most people with this vehicle wont know because they dont check their oil and have maintenance plans that keep them from looking at the underside of the car for the first 2 years.
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #31
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I agree with that for the most part.
I don't know it MOST don't but surely MANY do not. This thread and the one I sarted are imo very helpful in reminding everyone to be vigilant of their oil level.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

If you only read this thread you are going to believe that your new car is going to burn through oil constantly and blah blah blah.

The experience of those who have an engine that is burning oil are atypical. In other words, there are plenty of drivers like me who have a 2012 Impreza built in Oct 11 (one of the pre-orders) who have not experienced any issue whatsoever with oil consumption (now at ~4,000 miles on the odometer).

Sorry if you have experienced it. If you are one of the one's who is not sure it is a good idea to check your oil level periodically, that's why the dipstick is so easy to locate. Report back if you have a problem, but stop reporting your fears that you will use 6 quarts of oil every 7,500 miles...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
If you only read this thread you are going to believe that your new car is going to burn through oil constantly and blah blah blah.

The experience of those who have an engine that is burning oil are atypical. In other words, there are plenty of drivers like me who have a 2012 Impreza built in Oct 11 (one of the pre-orders) who have not experienced any issue whatsoever with oil consumption (now at ~4,000 miles on the odometer).

Sorry if you have experienced it. If you are one of the one's who is not sure it is a good idea to check your oil level periodically, that's why the dipstick is so easy to locate. Report back if you have a problem, but stop reporting your fears that you will use 6 quarts of oil every 7,500 miles...
Good pont. Im not sure mine is or not because i didnt start looking at it until lately. I will have a better idea in 400 miles when mine is changed. so roughly 3 week depending on where i travel.
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
Here's how I broke in my engine: acmenovelties.net/cars/engine_break-in.html

No oil consumption yet.
Power is OK.
Fuel economy, though not what the EPA numbers say for around town, is OK.
I did something similar, starting from the test drive, harder than "normal" driving. The engine spent a lot of time between 2500 and 4000 RPM for the first thousand miles. Now it sees 5K+ RPM daily. I couldn't detect any oil loss at the dipstick after 3000 miles.

Quote:
Except for the awd I doubt many beemer owners are "jealous".
Many of them do have AWD, but in any case, I was referring to their oil consumption.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #35
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I find it NECESSARY to report my fears when a car company says I may have to buy 11.55 quarts or oil per interval. If you're not having any problems, Zeeper, then wonderful- good fort you. Some of us have some very real concearns.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

I have no issue with you sharing the issue with us -- I want to know what your experience is.

For people who just bought their car or are thinking about buying it is a little stupid to endlessly post about their car burning oil before the fact.

Half of the posts here are just fear based whining with no evidence that they are even affected by the problem.

There must be easier ways to get people to check their tire pressure and dipstick occasionally, but thinking back someone reported finding their tires overinflated after they had already driven a couple of thousand miles -- so maybe a dopeslap or two is called for.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #37
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

If the car burns oil at such a high rate that it fails your state's inspection, SOA may have to eat it regardless of their ridiculous guideline.

If that's the threshold for declaring an engine defective, I'm curious as to how they would verify the consumption rate. They can't put hundreds of miles on the car themselves, can they?
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #38
FourOhFour
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309509
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

The oil level light on mine came on at about 6,400 mi. Stopped and checked, the oil wasn't full but wasn't low enough to require oil right away. Since the gas station didn't have 0w-20, I let it be and continued driving. After another few miles, the light went off.

Got home, added half a quart. It's still down a little from the full mark, but eh... rather be slightly under than over.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not particularly concerned yet.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #39
FourOhFour
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309509
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

[removed double post. Oops.]

Last edited by FourOhFour; 05-31-2012 at 04:34 PM.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #40
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

After you guys changed the oil, did you check the level with a dry filter, or after the first start? How sure are you that it started off with all 5.3 quarts?
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #41
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
After you guys changed the oil, did you check the level with a dry filter, or after the first start? How sure are you that it started off with all 5.3 quarts?
Im not changing my oil so i have to trust they are giving me 5.3
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #42
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
After you guys changed the oil, did you check the level with a dry filter, or after the first start? How sure are you that it started off with all 5.3 quarts?
I'm sure I have 5.5 quarts in mine, because that is what I poured in.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #43
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I have no issue with you sharing the issue with us -- I want to know what your experience is.

For people who just bought their car or are thinking about buying it is a little stupid to endlessly post about their car burning oil before the fact.

Half of the posts here are just fear based whining with no evidence that they are even affected by the problem.

There must be easier ways to get people to check their tire pressure and dipstick occasionally, but thinking back someone reported finding their tires overinflated after they had already driven a couple of thousand miles -- so maybe a dopeslap or two is called for.
Right on. Agreed..
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #44
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cackalack
Vehicle:
2013 Not so Hot HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen
If the car burns oil at such a high rate that it fails your state's inspection, SOA may have to eat it regardless of their ridiculous guideline.

If that's the threshold for declaring an engine defective, I'm curious as to how they would verify the consumption rate. They can't put hundreds of miles on the car themselves, can they?
SOA told me that if I have the same issue this cycle that they will perform a consumption test thru the dealer.

N
Furiousd1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
ammo_umb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316152
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clearfield UT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Camellia

Default

I see this thread as something to watch for but definately not to panic from. The way I see it is that I plan to ignore the 7500 oil change and waste a little money changing early at 5000. If my engine runs out of oil and frags while the oil is being changed earlier than scheduled I will get a new engine installed. Subaru has no argument in this because they cannot refuse maintenance if your are doing your part. If the owners manual said that you should check your oil daily it would be another story because you would have to prove you followed the manual.

IMHO as long as you are in warranty and not exceeding or ignoring maintenance schedules you're safe. If that means you get a new engine every 10000 miles than so be it. I got the extended warranty so I could be on my 10th engine by the time the warranty expires and it wouldn't bother me.
ammo_umb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

The dealer told me I'm supposed to check my oil everytime I gas up. That's not only lame, but in some areas its not even safe, like late at night in tampa...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
The dealer told me I'm supposed to check my oil everytime I gas up. That's not only lame, but in some areas its not even safe, like late at night in tampa...
Dont be Ridiculous

thats a judgment call and a very easy one. Now you are find things to complain about. (actually that moment has passed)
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #48
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273054
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
After you guys changed the oil, did you check the level with a dry filter, or after the first start? How sure are you that it started off with all 5.3 quarts?
I start up the engine, back it off the ramps, shut it off, and check the dipstick after 5-10 minutes. I estimate pouring that last 0.3 qts, but my level is a bit under the high mark on the stick... I don't have any noticable oil loss in the 3800 miles I've gone per the two oil changes I've done.
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cackalack
Vehicle:
2013 Not so Hot HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo_umb
I see this thread as something to watch for but definately not to panic from. The way I see it is that I plan to ignore the 7500 oil change and waste a little money changing early at 5000. If my engine runs out of oil and frags while the oil is being changed earlier than scheduled I will get a new engine installed. Subaru has no argument in this because they cannot refuse maintenance if your are doing your part. If the owners manual said that you should check your oil daily it would be another story because you would have to prove you followed the manual.

IMHO as long as you are in warranty and not exceeding or ignoring maintenance schedules you're safe. If that means you get a new engine every 10000 miles than so be it. I got the extended warranty so I could be on my 10th engine by the time the warranty expires and it wouldn't bother me.
I'm running the 5000 mile cycle as well. My changes have been at 2996, 7524, 12569, and will be every 5000 for the life of the car
Furiousd1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #50
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Dont be Ridiculous

thats a judgment call and a very easy one. Now you are find things to complain about. (actually that moment has passed)
No I'm more illustrating my ever-growing frustration with a problematic and annoying car. If you don't like it, sorry. Just block me and you won't have to read my complaining. But if there is discussion of a particaular aspect of my new car that I am having issue with then I don't see why you care. Its an INTERNET FORUM.

79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 Impreza RS burning oil @ 60K miles? OneDailyShot Service & Maintenance 6 05-19-2010 02:20 PM
fs: ej22 longblock from 2000 impreza burns oil bad xionide NWIC Private Classifieds 1 10-06-2009 05:04 PM
1993 Subaru Impreza burning oil at idle after oil change Joe Pollock Service & Maintenance 3 08-15-2005 11:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.