Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Prem Hatch
Dark Gray Metalic

Default Stock Blow Off Valve Chirp?

I dont have my WRX yet, its at port getting all purty with some accessories.

But... what I have always wanted is the sound of a blow off valve (BOV). I have also read some bad stories about their use voiding warranty..

So my question is... is there a whistle trumpet that can be attached to the stock BOV to get that chirping sound?

Example: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Go-F...ment-Low-Boost
But this product is only for the GFB BOVs.

Also looking for opinions on which aftermarket BOV would least likely cause warranty issues.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
dirtslayer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 242550
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx wag
olive drab

Default

Shhhh troll
dirtslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Prem Hatch
Dark Gray Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslayer View Post
Shhhh troll
I really did use the search feature first lol... I know it sounds dumb.. but I just want the sound for now till the car is older.


Asking for this would be trolling:
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Omega_2nr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Indies
Default

First off this is int eh wrong section. This section deals with body mods, and interior trimmings.

Secondly, OP, lets think about this - S L O W L Y.


The stock BPV (bypass valve) doesn't make much of a sound, because it doesn't vent the air to atmosphere - it routes it back to the intake like a sealed unit.

So where exactly are you going to mount a trumpet on this "sealed unit"?

The only way would be to disconnect the return line, and make the stock BPV vent to the atmosphere, thru this trumpet you speak of.

If you do that, doesn't that make the stock valve act like an aftermarket one? So won't it create the same "issues" you're worried about?

Use logic here bub.




Secondly, I actually tried using the stock BPV on my old '02 WRX in a vent-to-atmosphere (VTA) mode for all of 2 hours, just out of curiosity. If the new GH/GR WRX's are anything like the older models, then the stock BPV will NOT work well in this manner, and your car will stall and will hesitate - ALOT.

You want the sound? Get an aftermarket BOV and adjust it PROPERLY. Do a search for the "Real Dirt on BOV's" or something like that. The creator of that thread had some useful advice...this was waaay before he had an attack of the USc/Unbr arrogance syndrome.


If you are worried about your warranty, then leave the stock valve ALONE, and get your jollies by putting an exhaust on.


Now run, run quickly dear OP, for the brotato crew is coming to bash.
Omega_2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Prem Hatch
Dark Gray Metalic

Default

Well thanks for explaining.. if I knew enough about BOVs or had my WRX and could look myself, I wouldnt have to ask.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Omega_2nr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Indies
Default

^^Agreed. I'm well aware of that, which is why I took the time to explain.

Oh, and this thread will be of much help to thee:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...l+dirt+on+bovs
Omega_2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
xSUNSHINEx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232107
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Starkville, MS
Vehicle:
2005 Sti
silver

Default

I wasnt aware it voided the warranty...but I have a ssqv2 and love it..no need to adjust anything...plug and play. however...your car will run like crap when you first put it on..and many people will tell you it will forever run like crap. I either got used to it..or it doesnt run like crap. The ssqv has the high pitched chirp you are probably looking for
xSUNSHINEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
BlackJavaPearl04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198522
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Up State NY
Vehicle:
98 LGT Limited
10 Forester

Default

a 50 /50 after market valve would be your safest bet. Theres a popular one that alot of the tuners and engine builders like to use its called forge race bpv.
BlackJavaPearl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
timeXlost
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113924
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Medway, MA
Vehicle:
2005 STI....Broken
93 RX7...Not Broken

Default

Well...there is a way for the stocker to make noise.....
timeXlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
STI-Bryan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322955
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

The only real way to do it is to attach a duck-call to the BOV
STI-Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Omega_2nr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Indies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSUNSHINEx View Post
I wasnt aware it voided the warranty...but I have a ssqv2 and love it..no need to adjust anything...plug and play. however...your car will run like crap when you first put it on..and many people will tell you it will forever run like crap. I either got used to it..or it doesnt run like crap. The ssqv has the high pitched chirp you are probably looking for
It runs like crap because it was not adjusted prperly.

I never had any issues with my SSQV.
Omega_2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
Tsujen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269643
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chiraq, IL
Vehicle:
2004 Imperza WRX
JBP

Default

Just buy a spt intake and you'll get some BOV sound and turbo spool
Tsujen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
EvoXtoWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304819
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujen View Post
Just buy a spt intake and you'll get some BOV sound and turbo spool
^^This would be a better use of money. BOV "sound" isn't plus it doesn't improve the performance of the car.
EvoXtoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Trudd84
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 250706
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

Default

I have a Turbosmart Dual Port BOV, I run it 50/50, had to adjust a little to get back to target boost, because it is 50 and does recirculate a fair amount of air it isnt extremely loud but it has the blow off, idles perfect and I enjoy it a lot.
Trudd84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650N
1972 Travelall

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_2nr View Post
First off this is int eh wrong section. This section deals with body mods, and interior trimmings.

Secondly, OP, lets think about this - S L O W L Y.


The stock BPV (bypass valve) doesn't make much of a sound, because it doesn't vent the air to atmosphere - it routes it back to the intake like a sealed unit.

So where exactly are you going to mount a trumpet on this "sealed unit"?

The only way would be to disconnect the return line, and make the stock BPV vent to the atmosphere, thru this trumpet you speak of.

If you do that, doesn't that make the stock valve act like an aftermarket one? So won't it create the same "issues" you're worried about?

Use logic here bub.




Secondly, I actually tried using the stock BPV on my old '02 WRX in a vent-to-atmosphere (VTA) mode for all of 2 hours, just out of curiosity. If the new GH/GR WRX's are anything like the older models, then the stock BPV will NOT work well in this manner, and your car will stall and will hesitate - ALOT.

You want the sound? Get an aftermarket BOV and adjust it PROPERLY. Do a search for the "Real Dirt on BOV's" or something like that. The creator of that thread had some useful advice...this was waaay before he had an attack of the USc/Unbr arrogance syndrome.


If you are worried about your warranty, then leave the stock valve ALONE, and get your jollies by putting an exhaust on.


Now run, run quickly dear OP, for the brotato crew is coming to bash.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
TEK112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218140
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Prm Sed DGM
Know my friend Hiram?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI-Bryan View Post
The only real way to do it is to attach a duck-call to the BOV
TEK112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
jimbosv650
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 261307
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Miami,FL
Vehicle:
04 wrx wagon
WRB

Default

I've done this, and yes it does give you some noise.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=16+cent+mod
jimbosv650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
ClassicPurcell
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299709
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle:
1999 Toyota Camry

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslayer View Post
Shhhh troll
Only dreams now...
ClassicPurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anybody modified the stock blow off valve to be louder? kenshiro Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 14 06-13-2012 12:28 AM
2007 Wrx Sti Stock Blow Off Valve And Stock Intake Box mr2fastn2fine Engine/Power/Exhaust 0 03-11-2008 02:35 AM
WTB sti stock blow off valve/ bypass valve foresterxtguy Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 1 08-04-2006 09:10 AM
Stock Blow Off Valve NJSILVERSTREAK Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 2 04-16-2004 06:31 PM
stock blow off valve....... jetsiphon Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 01-23-2003 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.