Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #51
gregorz4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
Its not difficult to replace the DRL bulbs. Its just a standard size 9006 bulbs and I just replaced it with a cheap ebay led 9006 size bulbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270954488397...84.m1497.l2649 Something like this will work just fine.
As for the led strips. I bought them from superbrightleds.com. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...-flexible.html "SWFLS and SNFLS series Flexible Light Strips with Side Emitting LEDs" is the exact ones I bought.
Hah sorry if im getting annoying with the questions here, just want to make sure I dont order the wrong product. I checked out the link you directed me to, just want to confirm that you got the waterproof LED strip, and was it the cool white, or warm white?
You stated that you installed the 9006 LED light for your daytime running light, does that mean you have both the 9006 LED light and the LED light strip as a DRL? How did you power the LED strip? Does the LED strip only work as DRL or also when your headlights are on?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by gregorz4; 06-01-2012 at 06:49 PM.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #52
gregorz4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

-mistaken message, not sure how to delete-

Last edited by gregorz4; 06-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
Hah sorry if im getting annoying with the questions here, just want to make sure I dont order the wrong product. I checked out the link you directed me to, just want to confirm that you got the waterproof LED strip, and was it the cool white, or warm white?
You stated that you installed the 9006 LED light for your daytime running light, does that mean you have both the 9006 LED light and the LED light strip as a DRL? How did you power the LED strip? Does the LED strip only work as DRL or also when your headlights are on?
Its cool...yeah I bought the "natural white" color since I don't want any hint of blue in it. Only the 9006 bulbs is used as the DRL. The LED strips are just my parking/corner lights.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #54
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd View Post
Move out to so cal do you can do my lights. Haha
LOL! I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of retrofitters around your area. If not, send it over to me. Ahahahaha!
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #55
gregorz4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

When you painted the light housing did you also paint the High beam reflector, if so, does it still work well?
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #56
brockd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235571
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA
LOL! I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of retrofitters around your area. If not, send it over to me. Ahahahaha!
Doing it for free?! You're so nice. Lol. Nah I'll probably try it down the road.
brockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #57
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
Big thanks to www.theretrofitsource.com
I wonder if I'm the 1st if not only to retrofit this car. LOL!
Parts list:
-Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III kit
-Morimoto 5Five 50W 5000k D2S kit
-Blazers projector fogs
-Morimoto 3Five 35W 3000k 880 kit









My garage is really small as you can see.


I'm so glad I went this route. I love everything about it.
I'm looking to retrofit my Impreza and was wondering if its worth it to spend an extra $20 (excluding additional cost for adding options) and get the Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit? Did you chose the Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) because of fitment issues?

Looking at your pictures it seems that you didn't get halos with your hids and I was also wondering which shrouds you placed with your order? Thanks

Last edited by pkL; 06-06-2012 at 03:12 AM.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #58
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
When you painted the light housing did you also paint the High beam reflector, if so, does it still work well?
I only painted around the back reflector of the high beam. not the whole thing. It still works fine.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #59
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
I'm looking to retrofit my Impreza and was wondering if its worth it to spend an extra $20 (excluding additional cost for adding options) and get the Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit? Did you chose the Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) because of fitment issues?

Looking at your pictures it seems that you didn't get halos with your hids and I was also wondering which shrouds you placed with your order? Thanks
Its worth it if you really want some great quality output of the FX-R but you gonna have to do alot of cuttings to make it fit. I only chose the stage III d2s because of the easy installation without cutting too much. I didn't get the halos because I personally think its too "ricey" for me and my shrouds are the Gatling Gun shrouds.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #60
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
Its worth it if you really want some great quality output of the FX-R but you gonna have to do alot of cuttings to make it fit. I only chose the stage III d2s because of the easy installation without cutting too much. I didn't get the halos because I personally think its too "ricey" for me and my shrouds are the Gatling Gun shrouds.
I really doubt my abilities to be able to install them on my own, so I might end up getting a shop or someone to install them. Would you recommend the FX-R in that sense? I'll most likely get the gatling gun shrouds too, they look awesome on your car.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #61
gregorz4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
I only painted around the back reflector of the high beam. not the whole thing. It still works fine.
Great, thanks for the answers. I've decided to go ahead and order the projectors, just unsure still of I should get the FX-Rs or mini H1s. Lots of work with great results or an easy install with less chances of a screw up...Hmmm
In your opinion, how do the projectors compare to the stock Inpreza headlights? any people flashing you or alignment problems?

I noticed when I flash my headlights the dogs turn off. I read it's not a good idea to flash the projectors on and off like that. Did you do anything to overcome that problem?
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #62
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
I really doubt my abilities to be able to install them on my own, so I might end up getting a shop or someone to install them. Would you recommend the FX-R in that sense? I'll most likely get the gatling gun shrouds too, they look awesome on your car.
From what I've read, the FX-R is really worth every penny so if you're really unsure about yourself doing it. I'd say get someone who does, do it for you.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #63
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
Great, thanks for the answers. I've decided to go ahead and order the projectors, just unsure still of I should get the FX-Rs or mini H1s. Lots of work with great results or an easy install with less chances of a screw up...Hmmm
In your opinion, how do the projectors compare to the stock Inpreza headlights? any people flashing you or alignment problems?

I noticed when I flash my headlights the dogs turn off. I read it's not a good idea to flash the projectors on and off like that. Did you do anything to overcome that problem?
FX-R or the Mini H1? It all depends on what you really want. Both projectors are good. From what I've read, everyone that has the Mini H1s switched to get the FX-R just because they want better output but that doesn't mean the H1s are bad. Its a thousand times better than the original halogens and I can say that because I've seen it myself because I've retrofitted for about 4 people already with the Mini H1s and they all loved it. Yes, when you flash your high beams, the fogs does turns off which is not good when you have HIDs on the fogs. To be honest, I hardly turn on my fogs at all. The retrofitted HIDs gave me enough light output that I don't really need them. The only way to overcome the fogs from turning off with the flash is to wait til somebody did a write up on how to independently wire the fogs for our car. So far, I had no incoming traffics flashing me with my retrofit.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #64
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
From what I've read, the FX-R is really worth every penny so if you're really unsure about yourself doing it. I'd say get someone who does, do it for you.
Would you go with the same setup for the FX-R? I'm tempted just to order them. I'm not so sure on the fogs though, I guess it would go together well as a set with the hids, as halogen fogs and hid headlights would look weird. I doubt I will use them much afterwards seeing that they're yellow, right now I have my fogs on whenever my headlights are on.

The re-sealing glue is kind of pointless right? Since I'm getting it done at a shop anyways?
The relay I would select would be the H11 one, is that correct?

Last edited by pkL; 06-08-2012 at 03:47 AM.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #65
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Would you go with the same setup for the FX-R? I'm tempted just to order them. I'm not so sure on the fogs though, I guess it would go together well as a set with the hids, as halogen fogs and hid headlights would look weird. I doubt I will use them much afterwards seeing that they're yellow, right now I have my fogs on whenever my headlights are on.

The re-sealing glue is kind of pointless right? Since I'm getting it done at a shop anyways?
The relay I would select would be the H11 one, is that correct?
I would go for the FX-R if I have to retrofit another headlight for myself but right now, I'm happy with my Mini D2S so I wouldn't change it. You really don't have to get a 3000k yellow hid setup for the fogs. I just went for that color because it illuminates the road much better than white colored fog lights in bad weather. The re-sealing glue is pretty pointless since our car is brand new but I just got em just to make sure that I sealed them right the 1st time around. Yes, choose the H11 harness.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #66
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
I would go for the FX-R if I have to retrofit another headlight for myself but right now, I'm happy with my Mini D2S so I wouldn't change it. You really don't have to get a 3000k yellow hid setup for the fogs. I just went for that color because it illuminates the road much better than white colored fog lights in bad weather. The re-sealing glue is pretty pointless since our car is brand new but I just got em just to make sure that I sealed them right the 1st time around. Yes, choose the H11 harness.
Thanks for answering all of my questions, if I'm new to retrofitting or installing hids for that matter, would it be best for me to go get it done at a shop? I've been looking around on local forums and retrofitting itself costs as much if not more than the FX-R themselves.

I do like the yellow fogs though, I'll get them in 3000k as well.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #67
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Thanks for answering all of my questions, if I'm new to retrofitting or installing hids for that matter, would it be best for me to go get it done at a shop? I've been looking around on local forums and retrofitting itself costs as much if not more than the FX-R themselves.

I do like the yellow fogs though, I'll get them in 3000k as well.
To be honest, I never did a retrofit work before, until this one. I did alot of readings and researches online, youtube, etc. Until I know for sure I can do this one and I'm glad it came out great. I would say give it a try before you doubt your own skills. If you were around my area, I'd would definitely help you out. Since this retrofit work, I've done retrofitting works on a 05 Civic, 93 Integra, a couple of CBR bikes, and my current project is Honda Pilot retrofitting with a TL bi-xenon. Do some more researches and youtube videos and give it a try. I almost sent out my headlights for retrofitting as well until I saw the price quotes so I was like "hellz nah".
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #68
SpamMansXe
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15920
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver CO
Vehicle:
1999 White Mock 22B
2014 Plasma Blue GR STi

Default

Wow, those look amazing. I will have to tell my friend about this, he was just talking about doing a retrofit and this would be right up his alley.
SpamMansXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #69
warlockfan92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322829
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Savannah,Ga
Default

so much win in this thread. those retros are NIIICE
warlockfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #70
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
To be honest, I never did a retrofit work before, until this one. I did alot of readings and researches online, youtube, etc. Until I know for sure I can do this one and I'm glad it came out great. I would say give it a try before you doubt your own skills. If you were around my area, I'd would definitely help you out. Since this retrofit work, I've done retrofitting works on a 05 Civic, 93 Integra, a couple of CBR bikes, and my current project is Honda Pilot retrofitting with a TL bi-xenon. Do some more researches and youtube videos and give it a try. I almost sent out my headlights for retrofitting as well until I saw the price quotes so I was like "hellz nah".
Yeah I can't believe the quote I was given, $1200 - 1600 Canadian.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #71
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Those prices are insane.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #72
06SE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158925
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
12' Sport LTD
MBP

Default

JDMSTA - I just wanted to say thank you for doing this. TRS had a 25% off sale last Friday evening and I jumped on it. My 12' Sport Limited will be in around 6/19 and the retrofit along with a set of HIRs for the high beams, will be installed within the first couple of days. Thanks again and I will shoot you some pictures of my install as well.
06SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #73
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

No problem! Can't wait to see your final work as well.
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #74
monkeyracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308583
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Lakehood, CO
Vehicle:
2015 Forester XT Pre
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SE View Post
JDMSTA - I just wanted to say thank you for doing this. TRS had a 25% off sale last Friday evening and I jumped on it. My 12' Sport Limited will be in around 6/19 and the retrofit along with a set of HIRs for the high beams, will be installed within the first couple of days. Thanks again and I will shoot you some pictures of my install as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSTA View Post
No problem! Can't wait to see your final work as well.
Me too! I want to do this eventually to mine, but want to get some spare housings so I can take my time and do it right. Glad to see there are people modding these cars. Right now there's only a handful of people doing anything at all.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #75
brockd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235571
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SE View Post
JDMSTA - I just wanted to say thank you for doing this. TRS had a 25% off sale last Friday evening and I jumped on it. My 12' Sport Limited will be in around 6/19 and the retrofit along with a set of HIRs for the high beams, will be installed within the first couple of days. Thanks again and I will shoot you some pictures of my install as well.
so how much otd?
brockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Mini Review] Traded 2011 Impreza Outback Sport for 2012 Impreza Sport Premium tornado542 General Community 22 01-11-2015 01:28 PM
Help with JBL MS-8 install on 2012 impreza sport premium gobells12785 Car Audio, Video & Security 9 03-23-2012 09:56 PM
I finally got a chance to drive a Sprinter. upnygimp Off-Topic 49 03-02-2008 01:32 AM
Finally got a chance to snap some pics ElDuderino Member's Car Gallery 19 08-04-2002 03:30 PM
('93-'01) Finally I got the chance to max out my car. Chode_boy Impreza Forum 11 05-22-2002 03:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.