Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
ThePolishGecko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323237
Default EJ25 to EJ20 Conversion

I have a '99 Forester that had an EJ25 SOHC with standard transmission. I bought a new engine for it and the company shipped me the wrong one. They sent an EJ20 that had been paired with an automatic. Is this a straightforward swap, or do I need additional work to install it? If any further information is required let me know and I will find out. Thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ThePolishGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Rockclimber399
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309680

Is it the turbo version or the NA version of the 2.0? If its the NA I'd highly recommend contacting the company and getting the 2.5, I've driven both, and owned the 2.5 until the bottom end went, and the 2.0 has a hard time climbing through passes period, let alone if you have a loaded car. Personally I thought it felt gutless.

If its the turbo model, what year is the motor? USDM or JDM? If you want to stick with the manual it would be much easier with how these engines come out of the car.
Rockclimber399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
ThePolishGecko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323237

I'm fairly sure it's NA. Power is of exceptionally little concern to me. Where do you climb?
ThePolishGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Rockclimber399
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309680

Fair enough. Though it would be dropping the resale of the car too. And I believe you need to do some rewiring. If they sent the wrong engine I really would do some fussing.

I live in Sacramento. I frequent climbing in Yosemite, Bishop, and Tahoe primarily. I set routes at Pipeworks in Sacramento.
Rockclimber399 is offline   Reply With Quote