Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #51
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: down by the river
Vehicle:
1977 Van

Default

Mine always reads over 500 when I fill it up. By time I drive 3-4 miles it's back down in the 400's. As for they dte. That's probably about right. My low fuel indicator usually comes on around 70 miles to empty. Within a few miles the last dash on the gauge disappears.

As for the luggage. I was asking because I went to Florida April and averaged under 30mpg with people luggage
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Furiousd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #52
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012subisport View Post
One other person in the car and no luggage or extra weight. When I say MPG around town that would kind of include some highway driving. We live very close to the freeway so it's a combination. I am hoping the motor needs more break-in time but one thing I found out is the miles to empty reading is way off. I was down to one tick on the fuel gauge and miles to empty read 110 to empty? When I filled the tank and reset the odometer, the miles to empty read 550. If I could see 550 miles on a tank of gas, I'd be in heaven.
The fuel gauge goes down to 0 bars and you can keep driving for a while I was able to get 470 miles of actual driving out of my car once. The "Miles -> Empty" still said something like 50 miles, but I was getting nervous!
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #53
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

A suggestion on measuring fuel economy. I'm not sure w/ the 2012 but on my 2009 and 2010 subaru's there is about 2 gallons of fuel left when the low fuel light goes on. Maybe check the owners manual to see if that's the case with yours? Also- note mileage, number of gallons added for at least 6 weeks to get a measure. I wouldn't count on what the car display reads. Too many variables. Good old paper, pencil and 'rithmatic I think gives you a better measure. Also how my in-laws are tracking theirs since it's important to them.
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #54
Samirr76
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4835
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Fl33tw00d, PA
Vehicle:
2003 Baja 5MT
Yellow w/ 220,000 miles

Default

28 mpg city driving sounds great based on the advertised ratings. If you're Check Engine Light is not on and there are no trouble codes in the computer there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. You are getting the fuel mileage you are supposed to be getting based on your driving habits. Too many variables, hence the ratings are JUST AN ESTIMATE. Remember, you coulda bought a hybrid, but you would have paid $5,000 to $10,000 more than your impreza which pretty much cancels out any fuel savings you MIGHT achieve.
Samirr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #55
Angry Outcast
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320601
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Perkins, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Mine is a base model 5 speed 5 door. I drive about 12 mi. city and 18 hwy every day and average 28 mpg with moderately aggressive driving. Took about a 400 mile trip last weekend with 95% hwy and got 37 mpg avg. You wont hear any complaints from me, especially since I came from a 4X4 truck to my subie.
Angry Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #56
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I wonder if the wider tires that come on the Sport Premium are making a difference. The roof rails may also contribute slightly causing a little drag on the car. I also am using the A/C since I live in central California which puts extra strain on the motor. I went fishing yesterday, 130 mi round trip, averaged 31 MPG all freeway driving at 65 MPH. 95% of the time I had the cruise control on and nobody else in the car. I weight 180lbs.
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #57
LonelyHiker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 253173
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza
Silver

Default

A couple years ago, when I heard that Subaru would be introducing a new smaller engine and CVT tranny, I feared the worst. My thinking was that Subaru could be trying to engineer their cars to get the highest EPA test cycle mileage numbers possible, which could possibly come at the expense of real-world economy and performance.

So, we bought a 2010 so we could get in before the madness. Our 2010 Impreza Premium SE manual transmission with roof rack (ski rack in winter and bike mounts in summer) averages 30.6mpg year round on the computer and hand calculated to be right around 30mpg. We live in the mountains and nearly always are driving on steep windy roads.

It's sad to see that on the new models, so many people are getting real-world numbers that are not only a lot lower than the EPA ratings, but lower than the real-world mileage of the old models.

I know from experience that happens if you take a lower power motor and work it too hard. We experienced that years ago with a Ford Ranger. We lived in the midwest and had a 2.3L 4 cylinder Ranger that got good mileage around 29mpg. We moved to the mountains and mileage instantly dropped to about 20 and it wasn't fun to drive because of how hard it struggled. We sold it and bought a 3.0L V6 Ranger, which had good power in the mountains and averaged 25mpg.

In my opinion, by moving to a smaller lower power motor and switching their automatics to CVT, they've made Imprezas much worse in real-world driving economy and performance for the type of people who buy Subarus. A Subaru isn't a Honda and shouldn't be built as such.
LonelyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyHiker View Post
A couple years ago, when I heard that Subaru would be introducing a new smaller engine and CVT tranny, I feared the worst. My thinking was that Subaru could be trying to engineer their cars to get the highest EPA test cycle mileage numbers possible, which could possibly come at the expense of real-world economy and performance.

So, we bought a 2010 so we could get in before the madness. Our 2010 Impreza Premium SE manual transmission with roof rack (ski rack in winter and bike mounts in summer) averages 30.6mpg year round on the computer and hand calculated to be right around 30mpg. We live in the mountains and nearly always are driving on steep windy roads.

It's sad to see that on the new models, so many people are getting real-world numbers that are not only a lot lower than the EPA ratings, but lower than the real-world mileage of the old models.

I know from experience that happens if you take a lower power motor and work it too hard. We experienced that years ago with a Ford Ranger. We lived in the midwest and had a 2.3L 4 cylinder Ranger that got good mileage around 29mpg. We moved to the mountains and mileage instantly dropped to about 20 and it wasn't fun to drive because of how hard it struggled. We sold it and bought a 3.0L V6 Ranger, which had good power in the mountains and averaged 25mpg.

In my opinion, by moving to a smaller lower power motor and switching their automatics to CVT, they've made Imprezas much worse in real-world driving economy and performance for the type of people who buy Subarus. A Subaru isn't a Honda and shouldn't be built as such.
Sorry to say it but it does make sense. I bought my 2012 for 2 reasons, gas mileage and all wheel drive. I test drove the new Ford Focus before I drove a Subaru and I must say the Subaru seem to have much better performance from a stop. Instant response while the Focus needed some RPM to get going which I really didn't care for. The sales person said ya need to wind her up, how can you get good mileage when you have to floor the gas pedal from a stop? So Subaru won out since it was rated very close on gas mileage. Wonder if the Ford also has real world mileage or just advertises what it feels is possible. Yep, very disappointed in my mileage but I do like the car so she's a keeper!
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #59
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Am I nuts or is there some 'selective' reading on this thread?
Looked at in-laws window sticker. The mileage listed clearly states EPA rating. My assumption is that with the 'ideal' conditions the EPA tests under would apply to all manuf. and they'd have to post them as they say-exactly. So, apples-2-apples. Then, reading the post on here, it seems that most are getting close to, if not better, that rating. Yet people are posting in a Pooh-like manner, 'Ohhhh, I'm so disapp. In my mileage', 'false advertising', 'it's a conspiracy'. Sheesh. I was wondering 'Til I saw for myself w/in-laws. Mileage is pretty good IMHO. Good enough for me to start shopping!
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #60
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
Am I nuts or is there some 'selective' reading on this thread?
Looked at in-laws window sticker. The mileage listed clearly states EPA rating. My assumption is that with the 'ideal' conditions the EPA tests under would apply to all manuf. and they'd have to post them as they say-exactly. So, apples-2-apples. Then, reading the post on here, it seems that most are getting close to, if not better, that rating. Yet people are posting in a Pooh-like manner, 'Ohhhh, I'm so disapp. In my mileage', 'false advertising', 'it's a conspiracy'. Sheesh. I was wondering 'Til I saw for myself w/in-laws. Mileage is pretty good IMHO. Good enough for me to start shopping!
Ok, so you buy a new Impreza and find out it doesn't come close to the MPG others seem to get. Or, Subaru claims and you aren't concerned? Tell you what, just send me $ 5-10 bucks every time you fill up to make up the difference and add that up over the lifetime of a new car. It does make a difference, simple math!
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #61
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: down by the river
Vehicle:
1977 Van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure
Am I nuts or is there some 'selective' reading on this thread?
Looked at in-laws window sticker. The mileage listed clearly states EPA rating. My assumption is that with the 'ideal' conditions the EPA tests under would apply to all manuf. and they'd have to post them as they say-exactly. So, apples-2-apples. Then, reading the post on here, it seems that most are getting close to, if not better, that rating. Yet people are posting in a Pooh-like manner, 'Ohhhh, I'm so disapp. In my mileage', 'false advertising', 'it's a conspiracy'. Sheesh. I was wondering 'Til I saw for myself w/in-laws. Mileage is pretty good IMHO. Good enough for me to start shopping!
People that to get what they expected don't tend to go all "angry angry angry. Mad mad mad" to anyone that will listen. I reference the famous case Squeaky Wheel v. Grease.
Furiousd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #62
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousd1983

People that to get what they expected don't tend to go all "angry angry angry. Mad mad mad" to anyone that will listen. I reference the famous case Squeaky Wheel v. Grease.
Good point. Eek eek, time to trade the 09, eek eek. Think that'll be enough to get my hubby on-board?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #63
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure
Am I nuts or is there some 'selective' reading on this thread?
Looked at in-laws window sticker. The mileage listed clearly states EPA rating. My assumption is that with the 'ideal' conditions the EPA tests under would apply to all manuf. and they'd have to post them as they say-exactly. So, apples-2-apples. Then, reading the post on here, it seems that most are getting close to, if not better, that rating. Yet people are posting in a Pooh-like manner, 'Ohhhh, I'm so disapp. In my mileage', 'false advertising', 'it's a conspiracy'. Sheesh. I was wondering 'Til I saw for myself w/in-laws. Mileage is pretty good IMHO. Good enough for me to start shopping!
The number on the windows is supposed to represent the average, not the max.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #64
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Yes, I know. Sorry if I added to confusion if implied otherwise.
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #65
2012subisport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310024
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012subisport View Post
I wonder if the wider tires that come on the Sport Premium are making a difference. The roof rails may also contribute slightly causing a little drag on the car. I also am using the A/C since I live in central California which puts extra strain on the motor. I went fishing yesterday, 130 mi round trip, averaged 31 MPG all freeway driving at 65 MPH. 95% of the time I had the cruise control on and nobody else in the car. I weight 180lbs.
Ok, it now has 2,185 miles and a trip today of 165 miles averaged 34.5 MPG. 95 % highway miles and vary between 55 and 65 MPH. Slower is better!
2012subisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #66
TexasSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324844
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

2012 Impreza 5 door. 2000 miles mixed driving 32mpg average. I don't dog it but I don't baby it either. I have seen as low as 23 and as high as 36. So far this car beats my old 100000 mile Corolla and 100000 mile Civic in all aspects. I love my Subaru!! Goodbye Toyota and Honda.
TexasSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #67
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i H
Black Pearl

Default

Fuel economy is mixed on mine, one of the reasons we traded our Mazda 6 Wagon in for the Impreza was fuel economy but where as our Ave Country mpg of 6.6liter/100km ( 42US Mpg ) is better than the Mazadas 6s 7.8/100km ( 36 US Mpg ) the curious thing is our Town economy on the Mazda 6 was 10.2/100km ( 28 US Mpg ) but the 2012 Imprezas similarly driven around Town is around 12.4 ( 23mpg ) which I'm hoping will get better once run in ?

Summary: ( Ave in US Mpg )
Previous Mazda 6 Wagon:
36 Mpg Country / 28 Mpg Town

Current 2012 Impreza:
42 Mpg Country / 23 Mpg Town
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #68
vijaynagaraj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327803
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark grey metallic

Default

My 2012 Impreza(I got mine early december 2011) gives the EPA 27/36, I've clocked 12000 miles so far and feel that the car runs good only on premium gasoline. the Minimum gasoline octane rating for the 2012 Impreza is apparently "90" ..... the regular unleaded is "87" and super is "89" both ain't good enough, I guess it's because of the low viscosity of the synthetic oil used in the 2012 Imprezas ..... So if any of you all are getting low Mpg's try using premium Gasoline it also gives you a better sound and the ride is a tad bit smooth .... I fill up mostly at Mobil but I guess if you fill it up in Shell "89" is does the job .... don't expect to see the change immediately ... empty the tank before you fill it with premium and give it about 50 miles, you'll see the change
vijaynagaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #69
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

What???

I haven't read something so non-factual in a long time. The 87/89/90 ratings are not really meaningful without indicating if (if any) ethanol is included in the gas to "up" the octane ratings. Low viscosity oil required/used in the Impreza causes/required the use of higher octane fuel - Oil weight and Octane is not related (IMHO)? You are in the North East (I assume), so your experiences may differ to those in the rest of the country. Minimum Octane for the Impreza is 87 - NOT - "apparently 90" as you stated. I also doubt that you are getting the EPA 27/36 that you stated....

What an i....................

G-
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #70
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

I've been driving a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium 5-speed for about 2 weeks now, and I never drove a stick before this car.

I average about 90 miles a day commuting mostly highway, and my Fuelly page has me averaging 29.6 mpg over the last 4 tanks.

Last weekend, I went on a trip which included mixed highway, suburban, and rural driving. At my destination, I drove around mountainous Pocono back roads with 3 passengers. I returned home all on the same tank, and was able to drive to work the next day. Over the 406 miles I got on the tank, Fuelly calculated me at 30.9 mpg. I have no issues with this what-so-ever.

I have noticed that according the car's computer, around 65 mph with cruise control, I will be above the estimated 33 mpg highway - upwards of 36 to 38. The fuel economy severely drops off over 70 mph, and I'm seeing around 25 mpg at 80 mph with cruise control.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #71
officialtlong
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325994
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Puyallup, WA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRBP

Default

For what it's worth, my 2012 WRX gets murdered MPG over 70... Just the way these cars ride stock, not conducive to higher speeds.
officialtlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #72
Lacessit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311443
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
'12 2.0i 5DR DGM
'06 s2000

Default

So far I've been able to handily beat the EPA ratings on all my previous vehicles but one (jeep). When I compare to the efficiency of my '04 civic (38mpg avg mixed, best of 46mpg) I'm pretty disappointed, but my Liberty was only getting 15mpg didn't matter where, or what I did. So for AWD it's still better than what I had, but I was hoping for more.

My subie is only getting an avg of 26mpg as a DD (3 mile city, 27 mile hwy commute) and I was really expecting to be at 30mpg or just barely over.

I recently read there's an ECM update available for the manual transmission, which I'll ask for during my 7,500 mile service next week and hope I can see some improvement. The only other factors I can see are the car just doesn't like cruising above 65mph, and the WV hills vs flat roads in OH, VA, etc.

I still like the car, but if I can get up to the 30mpg mark, I'll be happier.
Lacessit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #73
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

our cars hate going over 65mph. at about 60mph i can get roughly 38-40mpg. at 65mph it is about 36-38. and at 70 mph i get about 30-32mpg.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #74
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
I've been driving a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium 5-speed for about 2 weeks now, and I never drove a stick before this car.

I average about 90 miles a day commuting mostly highway, and my Fuelly page has me averaging 29.6 mpg over the last 4 tanks.

Last weekend, I went on a trip which included mixed highway, suburban, and rural driving. At my destination, I drove around mountainous Pocono back roads with 3 passengers. I returned home all on the same tank, and was able to drive to work the next day. Over the 406 miles I got on the tank, Fuelly calculated me at 30.9 mpg. I have no issues with this what-so-ever.

I have noticed that according the car's computer, around 65 mph with cruise control, I will be above the estimated 33 mpg highway - upwards of 36 to 38. The fuel economy severely drops off over 70 mph, and I'm seeing around 25 mpg at 80 mph with cruise control.
I can't get close to 27/36. City only I get 22.5. My 10 Outback with the old EJ /CVT combo gets 23,5 city only- Go figure, Subaru was really bragging about the Impreza's MPG.
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #75
DJ-Sound
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326327
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

My impreza cruses at 60mph all day long comfortably and at or above stated mpg - over 60mph don't expect highway epa ratings they drop significantly.
DJ-Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 WRX: driving techniques for fuel economy? exk20z3kid Newbies & FAQs 32 08-30-2012 11:47 AM
2009 Impreza Fuel Economy Jon [in CT] News & Rumors 54 08-22-2008 09:19 PM
Fuel Economy Issues Nitrous Newbies & FAQs 25 12-13-2007 08:56 PM
2008 Impreza & WRX EPA Fuel Economy WraithAkaMrak News & Rumors 12 07-25-2007 01:38 AM
I think my fuel guage is messed up...or fuel economy GooseMan Service & Maintenance 6 05-02-2003 03:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.