Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #151
Gfunk720
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 42549
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: You can find me in the 203
Vehicle:
E92 BMW M3
2011 VW TDI Wagon

Default

Option #1 for sure...

Drive existing car for the next few months and rack up miles. Switch to the new car, and start fresh.

Having a car with damage history on record instantly devalues it signficantly. Regardless of how major the repair is, anyone you try to sell it to in the future will likely see that. You are realistically looking at a several thousand dollar reduction in value because of the damage/repair.

They are throwing all of these "perks" at you in hopes that you choose not to take a new car. They still have to repair the car, and then will take a significant hit at resale. I'd much rather have an unmolested car with no mileage on it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Gfunk720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #152
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Toyota allowed this through what are probably no less than 3 quality checks. The fact that it actually reached a customer is more than likely the biggest reason that woman said "she's never seen it before". It shoud have been caught in any of the QA checks and fixed at the factory before it left, if it had, indeed occurred there.

--kC
Yeah I just stumbled on this thread and haven't bothered to read the pages in between but I am astonished that this car made it out of the factory like that. I can't imagine how nobody at the factory or even the dealer (probably would have not said anything anyway in hopes you wouldn't notice) noticed this.

As far as your options. Forget about the extended warranty and gift card. Option #1 all the way.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #153
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
You are realistically looking at a several thousand dollar reduction in value because of the damage/repair.
While I'm not discounting some reduction in value. Where do you get this "several thousand dollar" reduction from?

You think everyone who's had a fender replaced, etc. is taking a 4 figure resale hit? In the market place, you just don't lose that much resale for minor repairs professionally fixed, despite everyone saying you do. In this case, show any buyer a picture of that little bit of sheet metal, I'm sure it will be all but a non-issue.

You do however, gain noticeable resale with the extended warranty. That is something that every buyer will care about.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #154
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Lots-o-anal up in here...



REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #155
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona Bay
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

Option #2 and done.

Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #156
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Option 2 man. Those extras will certainly outweigh any potential "loss" of value from your history report.Just make sure that warranty they give you would be transferable if you sell it. If you get a new car, you don't get anything extra. I know you want a "perfect" new car, I can understand, but you know the car will be fine when it is fixed. You will get over the fact it wasn't "perfect" from the factory and you'll have a car, extras, and a story about that car(how it made it past QA).
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #157
Touge86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166498
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2013 M3
Mint Green

Default

I actually see the replacement as the better option still as well. I think a $500 toyota gift card is not going to do much for me, and I am uncertain on the warranty. It seems weird to me that the options are either

A) replace the car and cost the company a good amount of money

or

B) fix the car and give me things that basically cost the company nothing

I would think there would be a bit more push to get me to not replace the car. I am not saying I am not grateful for their offers and what they are doing for me, but I don't see keeping the car as a very attractive deal for me. I have never bought an extended warranty in the past, and I have never regretted making the decision to not purchase.
Touge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #158
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge86 View Post
I actually see the replacement as the better option still as well. I think a $500 toyota gift card is not going to do much for me, and I am uncertain on the warranty. It seems weird to me that the options are either

A) replace the car and cost the company a good amount of money

or

B) fix the car and give me things that basically cost the company nothing

I would think there would be a bit more push to get me to not replace the car. I am not saying I am not grateful for their offers and what they are doing for me, but I don't see keeping the car as a very attractive deal for me. I have never bought an extended warranty in the past, and I have never regretted making the decision to not purchase.
When you sell the car, the extended warranty will help your resale (moreso than the record of a small repair). The $500 can be used toward service, etc. So I'm sure you'll find a way to use the $500.

Then there's any money saved on warranty repairs...even if they're small.

The new car gets you nothing of value that you don't already have, sans a car with a few less miles on it.

How is the 2nd deal not attractive from a $$$ standpoint? It is certainly more attractive on paper.

The only thing you get from the 1st is that warm and fuzzy feeling...

Again, anal vs. practical.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #159
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
When you sell the car, the extended warranty will help your resale (moreso than the record of a small repair). The $500 can be used toward service, etc. So I'm sure you'll find a way to use the $500.

Then there's any money saved on warranty repairs...even if they're small.

The new car gets you nothing of value that you don't already have, sans a car with a few less miles on it.

How is the 2nd deal not attractive from a $$$ standpoint? It is certainly more attractive on paper.

The only thing you get from the 1st is that warm and fuzzy feeling...

Again, anal vs. practical.
If he plans on modding the car and voiding the warranty earlier than 100,000 (like maybe in the first 25k?) then it is basically an offer of 500 dollars to spend at Toyota. I suppose I just look at it as if I were in that situation.. and I'd be voiding my warranty much sooner than 100,000... in fact, probably sooner than the normal warranty even(which he does get if he takes the replacement option, it isn't like the warranty is gone!).

Honestly, buying a brand new car- I'd want the warm and fuzzy
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #160
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDucK View Post
If he plans on modding the car and voiding the warranty earlier than 100,000 (like maybe in the first 25k?) then it is basically an offer of 500 dollars to spend at Toyota. I suppose I just look at it as if I were in that situation.. and I'd be voiding my warranty much sooner than 100,000... in fact, probably sooner than the normal warranty even(which he does get if he takes the replacement option, it isn't like the warranty is gone!).

Honestly, buying a brand new car- I'd want the warm and fuzzy
You can't void a warranty, for the 1 millionth time on the internet.


If someone wants the warm and fuzzy feeling, fine. To each there own.

But saying you don't understand why Toyota isn't pushing harder for the repair?

Are we looking at the same deals? One offers financial benefits (more than one), and the other offers nothing but a mental thing (and not even a justified one if we're honest...that issue with the car is non-substantive).

There is no question which deals makes the most sense, practically/economically speaking. It's quite frustrating to hear the OP talk about it like it has nothing to offer...

Last edited by REX8; 08-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #161
KMFDM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177271
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Vehicle:
2006 Built 20G WRX
85' Cressida&Corolla GT-S

Default

Option # 1 would be my choice.

Why? Because there is not even the potential for a loss if they are replacing with a "new" vehicle.

By accepting option 2, warranty value excluded the $500 is an insignificant amount. Regardless whether the depreciation in value is a substantial amount or not, you are still taking in at least some amount of risk in betting that your potential future resale hit from the facts will be under $500.

So, the real question should be whether you'd prefer a nice long warranty, or a car you are 100% satisfied with.
KMFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #162
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
You can't void a warranty, for the 1 millionth time on the internet.


If someone wants the warm and fuzzy feeling, fine. To each there own.

But saying you don't understand why Toyota isn't pushing harder for the repair?

Are we looking at the same deals? One offers financial benefits (more than one), and the other offers nothing but a mental thing (and not even a justified one if we're honest...that issue with the car is non-substantive).

There is no question which deals makes the most sense, practically/economically speaking. It's quite frustrating to hear the OP talk about it like it has nothing to offer...
So when people start adding turbos to their FRS/BRZ the engine will be covered if they have any issues within the warranty timeframe? Good to know...

I suppose the flashing of my ECU won't affect my powertrain warranty from Subaru after all!
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #163
KMFDM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177271
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Vehicle:
2006 Built 20G WRX
85' Cressida&Corolla GT-S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDucK

So when people start adding turbos to their FRS/BRZ the engine will be covered if they have any issues within the warranty timeframe? Good to know...

I suppose the flashing of my ECU won't affect my powertrain warranty from Subaru after all!
He is actually correct (in regards to this thread). Voiding your warrant and having service claims denied are different entirely. In your example the warrant you paid for would be in-tact, and if it is found your modifications are reasonably believed to be responsible the specific claim for service will be denied.

Say a week later, a wheel bearing goes out, it would still be covered under his warranty, turbo or not.

Warranties CAN be voided, but not by stuff relevant to this thread. If he replaced or altered his odometer without proper documentation or something similar he might get into a situation where his entire warrant is nullified.

Last edited by KMFDM; 08-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.
KMFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #164
Touge86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166498
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2013 M3
Mint Green

Default

Lets look the other way on this,

A) No one will get a bank to loan more money because the car has an extended warranty. If there are two identical cars and one has the warranty, it will sell before the other, but will anyone pay you more for the car because of the warranty? No. Will your trade in be higher because of the warranty? No.

So let's look at the other side.

Can someone potentially try to offer me less on the car because it does not have a clean title? YES.

Will a dealership offer me less on trade in because of a mark on the vehicle history report? YES.

I don't get how anyone is valuing the warranty for resale. The only way that warranty is truly good to me is if I keep the drive train fairly stock and keep the car for 100,000 miles.

You can't void a warranty, true. But they can deny you service depending on which area of the car has modifications. They can stretch the reach of the damage done by your car pretty far as well. My friend just had his rear diff go out and the dealership denied him warranty on the replacement/ service because he had coilovers. Seems like a stretch.
Touge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #165
blackfang
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Usually when odometers are swapped/altered, the vehicle has a salvaged title, or of such nature is when warranties are voided.

Mostly what happens is the warranty claim is denied, not the warranty voided. There are some cases where powertrain warranties are voided due to ECM modifications and heavy engine mods.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #166
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDM View Post
He is actually correct. Voiding your warrant and having service claims denied are different entirely. In your example the warrant you paid for would be in-tact, and if it is found your modifications are reasonably believed to be responsible the specific claim for service will be denied.

Say a week later, a wheel bearing goes out, it would still be covered under his warranty, turbo or not.

Warranties CAN be voided, but not by stuff relevant to this thread. If he replaced or altered his odometer without proper documentation or something similar he might get into a situation where his entire warrant is nullified.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I suppose I'm different than the majority in that I'm not worried about the small fixes along the way (and with modern cars they are getting fewer and fewer before 100,000 miles) but rather the big expensive things that would be "service denied" such as engine/transmission/differential etc. I suppose I'm like the OP in that I usually don't pay for the extended protection on things.
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #167
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge86 View Post
If there are two identical cars and one has the warranty, it will sell before the other, but will anyone pay you more for the car because of the warranty? No. Will your trade in be higher because of the warranty? No.


Are you serious? Extended-warrantied cars absolutely command a premium in the market place. It certainly costs more than the identical car without one.

The fact that you even post that makes things extremely clear. You're talking out your ass to justify your decision to yourself.

What a joke of a post.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #168
SenorDucK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327511
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
13' WRX 6 Speed
11sec VF52 EL-EWG-E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge86 View Post
Lets look the other way on this,

A) No one will get a bank to loan more money because the car has an extended warranty. If there are two identical cars and one has the warranty, it will sell before the other, but will anyone pay you more for the car because of the warranty? No. Will your trade in be higher because of the warranty? No.

So let's look at the other side.

Can someone potentially try to offer me less on the car because it does not have a clean title? YES.

Will a dealership offer me less on trade in because of a mark on the vehicle history report? YES.

I don't get how anyone is valuing the warranty for resale. The only way that warranty is truly good to me is if I keep the drive train fairly stock and keep the car for 100,000 miles.

You can't void a warranty, true. But they can deny you service depending on which area of the car has modifications. They can stretch the reach of the damage done by your car pretty far as well. My friend just had his rear diff go out and the dealership denied him warranty on the replacement/ service because he had coilovers. Seems like a stretch.
exactly what I'm talking about. When this kind of thing pops up on the internet in a hypothetical situation it's easy to say "they can't deny service unless they prove it, you could fight it!" The reality is that when it actually happens it becomes more trouble than it's worth in the end. I didn't buy a sports car for the warranty(though it is nice), when things break on my car that are expensive, better more expensive things will replace the stock parts.
SenorDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #169
KMFDM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177271
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Vehicle:
2006 Built 20G WRX
85' Cressida&Corolla GT-S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDucK

Yeah, that makes sense.

I suppose I'm different than the majority in that I'm not worried about the small fixes along the way (and with modern cars they are getting fewer and fewer before 100,000 miles) but rather the big expensive things that would be "service denied" such as engine/transmission/differential etc. I suppose I'm like the OP in that I usually don't pay for the extended protection on things.
I get 'ya. Hell, my built engine went in at 45k miles on my car.

OP: It sounds like your decision is just about decided and I agree with 'ya. What is your standard warranty?
KMFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #170
KMFDM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177271
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Vehicle:
2006 Built 20G WRX
85' Cressida&Corolla GT-S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8



Are you serious? Extended-warrantied cars absolutely command a premium in the market place. It certainly costs more than the identical car without one.

The fact that you even post that makes things extremely clear. You're talking out your ass to justify your decision to yourself.

What a joke of a post.
While it is true they command more of a premium the decision is more-so whether the OP would more enjoy the satisfaction of his "flawless" new car or the possible future gain, which comes with the possible risk of someone being turned off by the repair history. If the OP plans to keep the car a significant amount of time, due to the depreciation of the car and possible risk, the value of said warranty doesn't compare with his personal satisfactions over a period of several years.

Just my .02
KMFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #171
Touge86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166498
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2013 M3
Mint Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post


Are you serious? Extended-warrantied cars absolutely command a premium in the market place. It certainly costs more than the identical car without one.

The fact that you even post that makes things extremely clear. You're talking out your ass to justify your decision to yourself.

What a joke of a post.
No way. Banks loan based off of NADA, where is the "extended warranty" option in the NADA vehicle options? It might help sell the car faster, but it does not add any value as far as any bank is concerned. Maybe you could ask more for that if a private party is paying cash though.

Your reasoning is right there with the added value that vehicle modifications add to the price. Once again, a bank does not recognize these add ons.
Touge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #172
Touge86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166498
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2013 M3
Mint Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDM View Post
I get 'ya. Hell, my built engine went in at 45k miles on my car.

OP: It sounds like your decision is just about decided and I agree with 'ya. What is your standard warranty?
Standard warranty is 3 Year 36,000 miles. Bumper to bumper, and 5 yr 60 on powertrain.
Touge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #173
Touge86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166498
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2013 M3
Mint Green

Default

Also my car already has 1500 miles in 3 weeks of driving. So let's say that I keep the car for another 120 days (the maximum time it could take for the replacement), that is an additional 8571 miles that would be on the car in addition to the 1500 miles currently on the car, so the car could potentially have 10,0071 miles on the clock by the time I get the replacement. So what is more valuable in resale? 10,000 less miles, or the warranty?
Touge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #174
Gfunk720
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 42549
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: You can find me in the 203
Vehicle:
E92 BMW M3
2011 VW TDI Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
While I'm not discounting some reduction in value. Where do you get this "several thousand dollar" reduction from?

You think everyone who's had a fender replaced, etc. is taking a 4 figure resale hit? In the market place, you just don't lose that much resale for minor repairs professionally fixed, despite everyone saying you do. In this case, show any buyer a picture of that little bit of sheet metal, I'm sure it will be all but a non-issue.

You do however, gain noticeable resale with the extended warranty. That is something that every buyer will care about.


For instance, my good friend and NASIOC member saw a $4k hit in the price of his STI once the dealers found out it had 2 claims against it for repairs. Finally sold it to a dealership that didn't bother running a vehicle report. Minor accidents that severely effected the resale price of his car. Almost assured this would be reported. Regardless of the extent of damage, no one wants to buy a car that has been hit or damaged. They could care less about your pictures and sob story. Welcome to the real world.

Considering that Platinum warantee only costs >$2k you aren't adding much to the value. They can be negotiated for far less than that. I'd much rather have the new car, and the peace of mind. But then again, I am a perfectionist. Perhaps you aren't.
Gfunk720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #175
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDM View Post
While it is true they command more of a premium the decision is more-so whether the OP would more enjoy the satisfaction of his "flawless" new car or the possible future gain, which comes with the possible risk of someone being turned off by the repair history. If the OP plans to keep the car a significant amount of time, due to the depreciation of the car and possible risk, the value of said warranty doesn't compare with his personal satisfactions over a period of several years.

Just my .02

His mods are going to make people apprehensive. Just like trying to buy a used WRX/STI. Especially on the first ever Direct Injected Boxer motor. SOO, getting a new car is all about warm fuzzy feeling. Get the new car and you have the same as right now. Get the options and you have more than you have now. Whose to say the car they replace yours with didn't have the same problem that they just caught in time to fix it; and now DON'T have to tell you? Have that as a warm fuzzy feeling.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.