Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
lino129
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251820
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: EC, WI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Rally Blue

Default From UTEC to opensource...?

Bought myself a bugeye with a UTEC on it, I don't want it anymore. What all do I have to do to get rid of the UTEC and be on my way with OS?

mods:
VF34
stock injectors
ebay intake
APS TMIC
3" catless TBE
TXS full atmo BOV
thats all power related i think...
all this stuff was put on by the previous owner (who blew 2 motors pushing 20+ PSI through the stock injectors) so it is now tuned to something like 7 PSI. and runs like ****. I have many things to change (read: everything) but its expensive and I dont make jack for money. so I just want to tune it to run decent for what i have, then in the future when I have better things tune it for da powaaa

Thanks,
Curtis
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lino129 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
sidewayz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5810
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Easton PA
Vehicle:
2001 S366 2.5RS

Default

Ummmm unplug, remove and tune
sidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
quazimoto
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70395
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Da-boonies,Va
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewayz View Post
Ummmm unplug, remove and tune
This but actually upgrade the injectors......
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

I would keep it and run it in conjunction with OS. Running them together is better than either alone.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
lukeskywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59837
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2004 Spec-C Type RA
What MAF? -Speed Density!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
I would keep it and run it in conjunction with OS. Running them together is better than either alone.
Why? the UTEC is a pain to tune and has crap resolution.

Carberry rom has way more features, LC, antilag, NLTS, map switching, SD, if those are the reasons you want the UTEC
lukeskywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywrx

Why? the UTEC is a pain to tune and has crap resolution.

Carberry rom has way more features, LC, antilag, NLTS, map switching, SD, if those are the reasons you want the UTEC
Last time I spoke with Clark he really liked the combo of OS and the UTEC. I believe it was to help with the overall drivability due to open/closed loop.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
lukeskywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59837
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2004 Spec-C Type RA
What MAF? -Speed Density!

Default

I have had that combo, you still feel the transition as you go from one system to the others control. A well mapped MAF rom is smoother than the UTEC will ever be. There is no more transition from CL to OL when all the delays are turned off on the ROM. I tuned my car via UTEC nearly 10 years ago when it was the state of the art with its DOS interface, but times have changed.

The SD rom is leaps and bounds smoother than even the best MAF rom I have ever felt. I daily drive my SD rom tune and it is solid.
lukeskywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywrx
I have had that combo, you still feel the transition as you go from one system to the others control. A well mapped MAF rom is smoother than the UTEC will ever be. There is no more transition from CL to OL when all the delays are turned off on the ROM. I tuned my car via UTEC nearly 10 years ago when it was the state of the art with its DOS interface, but times have changed.

The SD rom is leaps and bounds smoother than even the best MAF rom I have ever felt. I daily drive my SD rom tune and it is solid.
From what I hear, Clarks tunes with this setup are really smooth.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
lukeskywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59837
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2004 Spec-C Type RA
What MAF? -Speed Density!

Default

have you ever ridden in one or seen one in person to judge for yourself?

To the OP sell the UTEC and use the $$ to pay for proper injectors >550cc and and a tune if you cant handle it yourself.
lukeskywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywrx
have you ever ridden in one or seen one in person to judge for yourself?

To the OP sell the UTEC and use the $$ to pay for proper injectors >550cc and and a tune if you cant handle it yourself.
I'm about to get tuned with mine. Go check out Clarks threads though.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
lukeskywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59837
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2004 Spec-C Type RA
What MAF? -Speed Density!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
I'm about to get tuned with mine. Go check out Clarks threads though.
Good luck with it, I never found having the UTEC as an advantage and sold it.

And no thanks, I don't worship at the alter of the Clark. I live close to him and I will never understand how he stays in business treating customers as he does. His tunes are OK as long as you want to configure your car exactly like he wants.
lukeskywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywrx

Good luck with it, I never found having the UTEC as an advantage and sold it.

And no thanks, I don't worship at the alter of the Clark. I live close to him and I will never understand how he stays in business treating customers as he does. His tunes are OK as long as you want to configure your car exactly like he wants.
I've always found him great to work with and has a lot of very happy customers. He tells you what he thinks, not what you want to hear. This industry is full of people who don't have a clue, buy crappy parts etc and he will tell you the parts are **** and to do it proper. I respect that, too many tuners don't care. It also makes sense for business, if he tunes a car with crappy parts and it ends up with problems, it looks bad on him, it's better to just not tune that car.

He has some of the best/most reliable tunes, especially with the JDM motors. Can't please everyone though.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.