Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
youngxlos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 232169
Vehicle:
2002 Hawkeye
World Rally Blue Pearl

Cool Bugeye to Hawkeye swap, everything you need in one thread

*UPDATED WITH WIRING FOR TURN SIGNAL AND HEADLIGHT LEVELING SWITCH AT POST 10 AND 11*
Hey everyone I'm making a thread to put everything I've done in the past few weeks to fully convert from bug eye to hawk eye, a lot of the threads relating to this topic are old, and a lot of the pictures no longer work, I decided to go ahead and do this on my own and take pictures along the way to help the next guy who is looking to do the same thing and needs help.

LET ME BE CLEAR THIS THREAD IS FOR HELPING PEOPLE THAT ARE INTERESTED IN DOING THE CONVERSION, THIS THREAD IS NOT MEANT FOR POST ABOUT WHAT FRONT END IS BEST, I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK THE BUG EYE IS THE BEST FRONT END, OR THE BLOB EYE IS BEST, WE ALL LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS SO PLEASE KEEP THOSE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF AND DON'T POST THEM HERE, I SIMPLY DON'T CARE AND IT'S MY CAR AND I DO AS I PLEASE WITH IT.

First let me go ahead and break down the parts you'll need to make the conversion

06-07 WRX or STi headlights - I bought mine from a member here for $450
06-07 WRX hood (WRX and STi use the same hood and hood scoop) - Found one at a junk yard for $150
06-07 WRX hood latch release - $30 here or the dealership
06-07 WRX Sedan fenders (wagon fenders are flatter) - got a set for $260 used
06-07 WRX Front bumper - Found one on Ebay for $130 shipped
06-07 WRX Front grille - a lot of stock bumpers don't come with them, you can get an after market one from here
06-07 WRX Radiator support - Dealer is your best bet got mine for $73.45 (part number is 53060FE150)
06-07 front right headlight bracket
06-07 front left headlight bracket
06-07 rear headlight bracket x2
06-07 OEM Ballast and bulb or you can go with a D2S setup like these

The last 4 items listed already came with my headlights so I didn't have to get them, make sure you get the headlights first as its usually the most expensive part and they usually come with brackets so you wont buy anything extra.

All the bolts from the stock fenders will be used on the new fenders the only bolts you'll need to get are 4 bolts to hold the headlights the part number for those bolts is 901270004

Once you have all the parts above you'll have 2 options
1. Modify/cut the stock crash beam, you will need to cut everything marked on red to clear the headlight brackets and allow the bumper to fit

Also cut the stock frame to make enough room for the new headlights (cheapest route) area that will need to be cut
2. Purchase a 06-07 front clip and swap it, go to step 6 on this thread to get an idea of what is require to do to swap in a 06 front clip.

The last step will be figuring out the wiring for the new headlights, you have 2 options here.
1. Buy a plug and play harness from here (the option i went with)
2. Make your own wiring harness following some of this steps
wiring diagram
lots of helpful links to help you

Keep in mind that you will have all your bug eye parts left and you can sell them and make up most of the money you spent getting the new parts. here is how much i sold my parts and they sold FAST
Hood - $100
Front bumper and fenders $260
Retrofitted Bug eye headlights $500

Last edited by youngxlos; 06-26-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added new a lot more information to the thread, maybe even sticky worthy
youngxlos is offline   Reply With Quote