Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 1, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #3351
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckenny14 View Post
Can any one tell me how to take care of carbon fiber? i have a full carbon fiber trunk and want to keep it as far away from oxadizing as possible, thank you in advance
over time the clear on the carbon fiber will yellow we have seen this on aftermarket as well as oem painted carbon.

you can pick up a sealant and that will help prolong this from happening.

you can try Menzerna Power Lock or Einszett Glanz Wax.

for something more durable you can try Wolf's HardBody or Optimum Opti Coat.

Phil
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #3352
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRWRX View Post
I was thinking of trying to touch it up first, but I guess I'm looking more for Product/Process suggestions. I can get the paint through Subaru so at least it should match, but are there are products you would recommend for cleaning up the other "lighter" scratches and making the end product look the best it possible could. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my car and if I'm going to put the effort in I'd like to know that I'm going about it the right way.
you would need touch up and you would need to layer it up then take it down with some wetsanding -- > compound ---> polish

you can take a look at the Dr Color Chip or Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #3353
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2011 GR-STI
& 2015 Legacy Ltd.

Default

Phil, what would your recommend for a no rinse solution. I just clayed polished and waxed (uber clay, Menzerna polish, and 1Z wax) a co-workers 2012 black Impreza. Is Optima No Rinse the go to? What do you sell that you would recommend for an applicator? What to wipe it off with?
jay25RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #3354
bottles
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311522
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: The Jungle
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Icy Silver Metallic

Default

I been trying to figure out which towel and cleaner to use on glass. I cannot seem to get my glass clean at all without streaking. What am I doing wrong and is there a good product to use?
bottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #3355
Smoke
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172486
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cheney, WA
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailersdomain.com View Post
over time the clear on the carbon fiber will yellow we have seen this on aftermarket as well as oem painted carbon.

you can pick up a sealant and that will help prolong this from happening.

you can try Menzerna Power Lock or Einszett Glanz Wax.

for something more durable you can try Wolf's HardBody or Optimum Opti Coat.

Phil
I did this. I used Einszett Glanz with Meguiar's yellow wax and it still yellowed up (ironic huh? Using yellow wax and the hood yellowed up).

What's the deal? Crappy gel coat, or the fact I used wax and had some chemical reaction? I took care of my hood and it still discolored.

The hood is shiny like when I got, it just doesn't have that wet black tint to it anymore.

Is it possible to sand or polish the gel coat and restore back to normal?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #3356
Smoke
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172486
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cheney, WA
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckenny14 View Post
Can any one tell me how to take care of carbon fiber? i have a full carbon fiber trunk and want to keep it as far away from oxadizing as possible, thank you in advance
Like i said in my other post, I put much effort in keeping my carbon fiber hood clean and shiny.

I washed it, and waxed it often, and it stayed shiny and clean.
But the black tint to it discolored to yellow.

I don't know if it was a crappy gel coat or maybe because i drove the car during the winter.

I would recommend getting your trunk clear coated at a body shop if it were me.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #3357
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

I'm not sure of the official answer but I'm going to say that the materials to make the carbon fiber are making the clear turn yellow. hence over time you will need to re clear it.

any carbon fiber I have ever owned has turned yellow over time. sorry I don't have any other answers.

I'll see if I can get a better answer and get back to you.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #3358
BluePineapple
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286831
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Placed an order Wednesday night at 845PM. The item was packed and ready for FedEx by 930PM, and arrive to me today. Unbelievable service. Thanks Phil, you run a top notch operation.

Question for you. Is there a specific reason you don't offer Poorboy's products? I don't have a garage and most of the time I don't have shade, so I have to work early before the sun gets to my driveway, or later in the day after it passes over. The Poorboy's products CLAIM to be easy to apply and remove, even in the sun, which is perfect for me. Plus, the price point is where I am looking to be at. Any other alternatives you can suggest?
BluePineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #3359
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePineapple View Post
Placed an order Wednesday night at 845PM. The item was packed and ready for FedEx by 930PM, and arrive to me today. Unbelievable service. Thanks Phil, you run a top notch operation.

Question for you. Is there a specific reason you don't offer Poorboy's products? I don't have a garage and most of the time I don't have shade, so I have to work early before the sun gets to my driveway, or later in the day after it passes over. The Poorboy's products CLAIM to be easy to apply and remove, even in the sun, which is perfect for me. Plus, the price point is where I am looking to be at. Any other alternatives you can suggest?
thanks for the feedback.

unfortunately we can't carry them all.

you can use the Adam's line in the sun with little to no issues.

specifically the Adam's Swirl and Haze, Adam's Revive Polish, Adam's Buttery Wax.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #3360
IAMDABROODWICH
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306280
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailersdomain.com

thanks for the feedback.

unfortunately we can't carry them all.

you can use the Adam's line in the sun with little to no issues.

specifically the Adam's Swirl and Haze, Adam's Revive Polish, Adam's Buttery Wax.
Phil's right. I've used the Buttery Wax in direct sunlight when it was pushing 90+ degrees out, just to see if they were right. And yes sir, they were. Adam's products (The 5 I've bought) work exactly as described - very well.
IAMDABROODWICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #3361
BlueHeelInsert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313489
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bluefield, VA
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STI
Aspen White

Default Rock chips on bumper, Should I bother?

I plan on machine polishing/buffing my car here within the next couple of days. Well the front bumper is pretty rough(116,000 miles of rough winters, rough), should I even bother buffing the bumper?
Also, i have no clue where to start when it comes to the swirl removers and polishes. Any help? Mind you I'm a broke college student, so the budget is VERY limited on what products I can afford.
BlueHeelInsert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #3362
mightymints
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 252858
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Pflugerville, Tx
Vehicle:
2015 STi WRB/Gold LE
2013 WRB STi 5dr Stage1AP

Default

I am planning on doing opticote on my new 2013 STi next week. I have never used a random orbital, but I like taking on new tasks. I would appreciate it if you could assist me on what to purchase to get the stuff on there perfectly, and to prep the car before hand.

Please PM me!
mightymints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #3363
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeelInsert View Post
I plan on machine polishing/buffing my car here within the next couple of days. Well the front bumper is pretty rough(116,000 miles of rough winters, rough), should I even bother buffing the bumper?
Also, i have no clue where to start when it comes to the swirl removers and polishes. Any help? Mind you I'm a broke college student, so the budget is VERY limited on what products I can afford.
do you already own a machine?

if the bumper is rashed I would say just put some wax or sealant on it.

if you don't own a machine here is a great kit.

https://detailersdomain.com/Griots-G...tem_p_703.html

Phil
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #3364
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymints View Post
I am planning on doing opticote on my new 2013 STi next week. I have never used a random orbital, but I like taking on new tasks. I would appreciate it if you could assist me on what to purchase to get the stuff on there perfectly, and to prep the car before hand.

Please PM me!
sure thing I will do that.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #3365
ThatVAGuy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272144
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond VA
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT Lim

Default

What is yalls opinion professionally of Wipe New?
ThatVAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #3366
BarmanBean
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 297778
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern VA
Vehicle:
2005 OBXT 6mt

Default

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what do you guys use for lubrication when you use the nanoskin autoscrub. I'm thinking about going that route instead of a traditional claybar for a number of reasons, but have read that it really goes through lubrication.
BarmanBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #3367
XERO287
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR Premium
OBP

Default

^Try ONR, the autoglide, or some adam's detail spray.
XERO287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #3368
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarmanBean View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before, but what do you guys use for lubrication when you use the nanoskin autoscrub. I'm thinking about going that route instead of a traditional claybar for a number of reasons, but have read that it really goes through lubrication.
I would say ONR, Glide works well or any of these detail spray/clay lubes
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #3369
ThatVAGuy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272144
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond VA
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT Lim

Default

Wipe New?
ThatVAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #3370
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

don't know anything about wipe new.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #3371
ThatVAGuy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272144
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond VA
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT Lim

Default

ThatVAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #3372
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatVAGuy View Post
Do you need any more information than an "As seen on TV" ad to make up your mind on this one? I believe this also fits under "If it seems too good to be true it probably is".
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #3373
Ronen91
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324810
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

What is the best technique to use with a paste wax for a detailing beginner?

I currently use Meguir's gold class with a two bucket method and that's really about it.

I am also planning on using my car cover, so I have to wax before winter comes around.
Ronen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #3374
ThatVAGuy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272144
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond VA
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT Lim

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale2011WRX View Post
Do you need any more information than an "As seen on TV" ad to make up your mind on this one? I believe this also fits under "If it seems too good to be true it probably is".
Well thats generally what I'm kinda thinking too, but I didn't know if they had any experience with it.
ThatVAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3375
NRTmotorsports
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16517
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Weymouth, MA
Vehicle:
'13 BRZ

Default

I have a couple quick "noob detailer" questions. After reading a lot of your different threads on various cars you've detailed as well as a visit to your website, I'm still a little confused as to what is necessary for my needs. I have a Dark Grey '09 WRX and I wanted to prep for the cold New England winter. Overall the paint is in decent shape, a few light swirl marks/surface scratches here and there but not too bad at all. Would love to bring back some shine and catch up on the care it probably should have gotten from day one. I currently have a good soap and a clay bar kit, so I'm not 100% sure where I should be going after those first steps. There seems to be many different types of polish, waxes etc. and I'm a little lost as to what I should be doing. I will be applying products by hand because I don't have the budget for a machine. Thanks for your help.
NRTmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detailer's Domain HUGE HOLIDAY SALE DetailersDomain Car Care & Detailing 14 02-22-2008 02:19 PM
Detailer's Domain is proud to be a NASIOC Vendor DetailersDomain Car Care & Detailing 22 12-05-2007 11:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.