Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
raabguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265021
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default How to hook up dimmer for aftermarket gauges?

I got a boost gauge for my 06 WRX Sedan, and it says to hook up the wire to "positive 12v headlamp source" so the gauges dim at night. Can anybody tell me where to find the headlamp source to tap into? Sry if this is a noob question.

And my headlights are on all the time right when i drop the e-brake, will the gauge be dimmed all the time??
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
raabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Ysidro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197418
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New England
Vehicle:
07 WRX Ltd
The Mighty Evo;Fun CRZ

Default

if you have fog lights , try taping into the violet wire first in the harness or orange with yellow stripe wire. I forgot.
This is at the harness in back of the foglight switch ofcourse.
Ysidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
raabguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265021
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

okay ill try that thanks. and should i put a fuse on the power wire near the battery?
raabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Ysidro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197418
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New England
Vehicle:
07 WRX Ltd
The Mighty Evo;Fun CRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raabguy View Post
okay ill try that thanks. and should i put a fuse on the power wire near the battery?
Wait hold on. SO theres 2 wires? A dimmer wire and a power wire?
The violet and orange with white stripe are low voltage wires meant for lighting up the interior lights on switches/radio ect for dimming...
Dont source these for power, it'll blow the fuse.

If you need a +12v to run it, you'll need to slice into the main headlight switch. no fuse needed. but if you connect it direct to a battery, you will need a fuse. An option part you can use is an spdt relay to control when you want the dim feature to come on.
Ysidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
raabguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265021
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Ok im gonna run it right to the battery with a fuse i think, i already ran the wire i didnt connect anything yet tho i was getting eaten by mosquitos so i stopped for today. And i think im gonna maybe run the dimmer wire to a switch and the switch to a power source so i can just flip it if i want them dim. Thatll work right? And i can probably just run the switch to the power wire from the radio deck to power it right?
raabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
Wait hold on. SO theres 2 wires? A dimmer wire and a power wire?
The violet and orange with white stripe are low voltage wires meant for lighting up the interior lights on switches/radio ect for dimming...
Dont source these for power, it'll blow the fuse.

If you need a +12v to run it, you'll need to slice into the main headlight switch. no fuse needed. but if you connect it direct to a battery, you will need a fuse. An option part you can use is an spdt relay to control when you want the dim feature to come on.


YOU NEED TO STOP GIVING ANY SORT OF ADVICE AT ALL HERE T ALL
you dont know what the **** you are doing!!!!

there is no need what so ever to splice into any headlight wiring!!!!


Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raabguy View Post
Ok im gonna run it right to the battery with a fuse i think, i already ran the wire i didnt connect anything yet tho i was getting eaten by mosquitos so i stopped for today. And i think im gonna maybe run the dimmer wire to a switch and the switch to a power source so i can just flip it if i want them dim. Thatll work right? And i can probably just run the switch to the power wire from the radio deck to power it right?
there was an unused plug on the harness to the radio on my 02 that was dimmed power

but you need to do a LOT more research before you start kiddifying your wiring here


jesus
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Ysidro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197418
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New England
Vehicle:
07 WRX Ltd
The Mighty Evo;Fun CRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post


YOU NEED TO STOP GIVING ANY SORT OF ADVICE AT ALL HERE T ALL
you dont know what the **** you are doing!!!!

there is no need what so ever to splice into any headlight wiring!!!!


Yeah,yeah,yeah. Got back to bed its pass your bed time.

The op wanted to know "positive 12v headlamp source". "Headlight source." So where else would you get it? Your butthole? Or the headlight switch?

As for dimmers, theres more than one place to get them. Its a violet or purple wire. Can be found I.E... the foglight harness,Window de-icer harness,headlight leveler, and radio but its a pita...
Ysidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.