Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default 1st time at the track opinions!!

So I went to the track last night for the first time. I've owned my wrx for the past 2 years and never really launched it hard until last night.

I'll try to break it down as simple as I can. For me things are just not adding up.

My car: 02 wrx, stock ej20 and tranny.

Mods:
Blouch 16G-XT
E85
DW 850cc injectors
Perrin inlet
AEM intake
Sti TMIC
Turboback exhaust
Uppipe
Hybrid boost control setup
-Protuned

60FT: 2.15
1/4 mile ET: 14.2
Trap speed:102

I was racing with almost a full tank of gas. Don't know how much of a difference that was and the car was still slightly heatsoaked from the drive to the track.

Does my trap speed seem kind of right? Can anyone give some insight on how to improve times and maybe what I should be running?

Even for my first time I was expecting at least like mid 13's. I'm almost tempted to throw on a fmic or something else just to get less heatsoak and add a bit more power.

Anyways I'm a bit dissapointed overall. I expected a lot better.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. -natty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WK_r...ature=youtu.be
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by nattywrx; 10-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
C J
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132587
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
Vehicle:
2006 JrTuned STi
Stock block 10.34@134mph

Default

Get that 60ft time down and it will run mid 13s.

Are you using any kind of launch control?
C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
Get that 60ft time down and it will run mid 13s.

Are you using any kind of launch control?
Nope, no kind of launch control. Just tried blipping the throttle. What 60fts should I be aiming for and realistic?
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
FraudulentNeon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29108
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

1.8 would be a decent 60'. You should be in the 12s trapping over 105mph. Are you letting off through the traps? The track calculates trap speed a little bit after the finish line. Is this in Bradenton?

Next time buy a bag of ice and plop it on a towel over your intercooler. Let the car sit in the pits for at least 30 minutes like this.
FraudulentNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraudulentNeon View Post
1.8 would be a decent 60'. You should be in the 12s trapping over 105mph. Are you letting off through the traps? The track calculates trap speed a little bit after the finish line. Is this in Bradenton?

Next time buy a bag of ice and plop it on a towel over your intercooler. Let the car sit in the pits for at least 30 minutes like this.
I actually was icing my intercooler for a bit but not long enough since they called my lane up so I had to remove it and go. I'm not sure if I was letting off through the traps I may have been.

No this was not in bradenton although I will be there racing in about 3 weeks for the euro event fixxfest. I was running at palm beach international in jupiter also known as moroso.

I'm thinking about going out wednesday and giving it another shot. Last night there were way too many cars there since there was a big event going on. Usually wednesdays theres no one out there and I can stay focused and calm.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
meatNcheese
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311989
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: newark DE
Vehicle:
2011 wrx
red

Default

what rpm are you trying to get off the line at? also how are you launching, are you dropping the clutch or slipping?
meatNcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
C J
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132587
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
Vehicle:
2006 JrTuned STi
Stock block 10.34@134mph

Default

I never saw much of a difference icing the intercooler when I had a TMIC. Get the 60' down and you will run where you want.

back in the days before I had LC I was blipping the throttle and cutting 1.7s pretty consistently in a stockish STi so it can be done.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Boosted Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 286950
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Chico, CA (boostedtuning.com)
Vehicle:
335i / WRX
EVO 8 RS

Default

Seems like there may be something wrong with your car.

I have a client with a bug eye w/ 16G and on E85 he makes 370hp (dynojet). 370hp should trap about 116 -/+ 1. Your car is trapping only 102. Thats what a stock STI traps.

You should be making at least 330-350hp and should be trapping 110+, regardless of ET.
Boosted Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning View Post
Seems like there may be something wrong with your car.

I have a client with a bug eye w/ 16G and on E85 he makes 370hp (dynojet). 370hp should trap about 116 -/+ 1. Your car is trapping only 102. Thats what a stock STI traps.

You should be making at least 330-350hp and should be trapping 110+, regardless of ET.
Well what could possibly be wrong? The car feels solid as is. Maybe I should do a leakdown and compression test see if the motor is starting to give out?
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning View Post
Seems like there may be something wrong with your car.

I have a client with a bug eye w/ 16G and on E85 he makes 370hp (dynojet). 370hp should trap about 116 -/+ 1. Your car is trapping only 102. Thats what a stock STI traps.

You should be making at least 330-350hp and should be trapping 110+, regardless of ET.
I was revving it out to 7k every time pretty much. Maybe I should try shifting at 6k and see where that gets me.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
treystoys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97436
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Metairie, Louisiana
Vehicle:
03 toyota tundra
gray..missing my WRX's :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Seems like there may be something wrong with your car.

I have a client with a bug eye w/ 16G and on E85 he makes 370hp (dynojet). 370hp should trap about 116 -/+ 1. Your car is trapping only 102. Thats what a stock STI traps.

You should be making at least 330-350hp and should be trapping 110+, regardless of ET.
I think your highly underestimateing what the e85 is doing for your clients car. I don't doubt he runs what you said, but on todays 93 pump he will not trap over 110 w/o some other power adder, race gas or meth on a 16g sized turbo, just doesn't happen especially with an ej205.

You should be shooting for upper 12s and in the 105-108 mph area. I ran a 16g on my 05 for a while, and with low 1.8 short times and cooler weather would run 12.6-12.8s in the 107-108 mph area. I never had launch control back then and would launch blipping the throttle between 5 and 6k slipping a hair and letting loose. I also had the rev limiter lifted a tad and shifted at 7200 in every gear and shifted as close to a flat foot shift as I could w/o actually doing it.

I'd say go back and try some more before you start looking into problems. My car ran the above times with 266/233 whp/wtq on a low reader dynodynamics which was approximately 310whp on a known high reading dynojet.

keep us posted and good luck

Trey
treystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treystoys View Post
I think your highly underestimateing what the e85 is doing for your clients car. I don't doubt he runs what you said, but on todays 93 pump he will not trap over 110 w/o some other power adder, race gas or meth on a 16g sized turbo, just doesn't happen especially with an ej205.

You should be shooting for upper 12s and in the 105-108 mph area. I ran a 16g on my 05 for a while, and with low 1.8 short times and cooler weather would run 12.6-12.8s in the 107-108 mph area. I never had launch control back then and would launch blipping the throttle between 5 and 6k slipping a hair and letting loose. I also had the rev limiter lifted a tad and shifted at 7200 in every gear and shifted as close to a flat foot shift as I could w/o actually doing it.

I'd say go back and try some more before you start looking into problems. My car ran the above times with 266/233 whp/wtq on a low reader dynodynamics which was approximately 310whp on a known high reading dynojet.

keep us posted and good luck

Trey
Yeah looking back on the video that my buddy made of me running, my launch was terrible I bogged down and my 1-2 literally took like a whole second as well as almost y 2-3 and 3-4. I realized I definitely have to be faster with my shifts. Looking back on the video its very noticeable that I was shifting extremely slow.

I feel next time at the track I will do a lot better. Thanks guys.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Boosted Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 286950
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Chico, CA (boostedtuning.com)
Vehicle:
335i / WRX
EVO 8 RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treystoys View Post
I think your highly underestimateing what the e85 is doing for your clients car. I don't doubt he runs what you said, but on todays 93 pump he will not trap over 110 w/o some other power adder, race gas or meth on a 16g sized turbo, just doesn't happen especially with an ej205.

You should be shooting for upper 12s and in the 105-108 mph area. I ran a 16g on my 05 for a while, and with low 1.8 short times and cooler weather would run 12.6-12.8s in the 107-108 mph area. I never had launch control back then and would launch blipping the throttle between 5 and 6k slipping a hair and letting loose. I also had the rev limiter lifted a tad and shifted at 7200 in every gear and shifted as close to a flat foot shift as I could w/o actually doing it.

I'd say go back and try some more before you start looking into problems. My car ran the above times with 266/233 whp/wtq on a low reader dynodynamics which was approximately 310whp on a known high reading dynojet.

keep us posted and good luck

Trey
The OPs car is on E85. Its not on 93 pump.

And something is definitely wrong with the OPs car. With a 16G and E85, he should be trapping at least 110+, at the very minimum.
Boosted Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning View Post
The OPs car is on E85. Its not on 93 pump.

And something is definitely wrong with the OPs car. With a 16G and E85, he should be trapping at least 110+, at the very minimum.
Looking back at the video my launch was completely terrible, I bogged down and each of my shifts were literally like a second in between. I will go back to the track and practice more. I think with a good launch and fast shifts I'll be trapping up there and pulling some better times. I was all over the place that night

I was trapping 103, 100, 99, and times varying from 16.1 to 15.7 to 14.7 to 14.1 which was my best time with a 60 foot of like 2.2ish or so.

I know i can do better.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Boosted Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 286950
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Chico, CA (boostedtuning.com)
Vehicle:
335i / WRX
EVO 8 RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattywrx View Post
Looking back at the video my launch was completely terrible, I bogged down and each of my shifts were literally like a second in between. I will go back to the track and practice more. I think with a good launch and fast shifts I'll be trapping up there and pulling some better times. I was all over the place that night

I was trapping 103, 100, 99, and times varying from 16.1 to 15.7 to 14.7 to 14.1 which was my best time with a 60 foot of like 2.2ish or so.

I know i can do better.
Usually the trap is not affected by the launch much. Even with a horrible launch and grandma shifting, this car should trap be trapping 107+, EASY. Your trap speed is a reflection of power. Your ET is a reflection of driving skill.

I would do a boost leak test, comp test and check a couple logs. This car seem way down on power.
Boosted Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning View Post
Usually the trap is not affected by the launch much. Even with a horrible launch and grandma shifting, this car should trap be trapping 107+, EASY. Your trap speed is a reflection of power. Your ET is a reflection of driving skill.

I would do a boost leak test, comp test and check a couple logs. This car seem way down on power.
Yeah but waiting 2 seconds to shift from 1st to second will not get me up to speed fast enough. My tuner is coming back down in about 3 weeks and I'm going to have him do some logs and maybe a touch up tune and get his opinion.

I think the car is fine to be honest. Feels about the same as when I got tuned and everything was solid then.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

I pretty much like missed 2nd gear sinc i waited so long to shift into 2nd and that will definitely reflect trap speed.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Boosted Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 286950
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Chico, CA (boostedtuning.com)
Vehicle:
335i / WRX
EVO 8 RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattywrx View Post
I think the car is fine to be honest. Feels about the same as when I got tuned and everything was solid then.
Ok. But your 102 trap says otherwise.

For comparison, I have a client with a bug eye w/ VF39 (smaller turbo) on 91oct (worst gas), and he traps 105 and runs 12.9.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; 10-14-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Boosted Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

I'm going to upload the video
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default


Last edited by nattywrx; 10-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
nattywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271998
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Phatbotti tuned 16GXT E85

Default

uploaded the video

Last edited by nattywrx; 10-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
nattywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning View Post
Usually the trap is not affected by the launch much. Even with a horrible launch and grandma shifting, this car should trap be trapping 107+, EASY. Your trap speed is a reflection of power. Your ET is a reflection of driving skill.

I would do a boost leak test, comp test and check a couple logs. This car seem way down on power.
I am trapping 102 with a 2012 sti stg 2...i feel like the launch has to have something to do with this (soft on purpose not horrible bog and in my case traction control)

i would not write off that its not all driver if you watch the video he shifts very slow ...i can't see how that would not hurt you by a couple mph
Shortpersonbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
treystoys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97436
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Metairie, Louisiana
Vehicle:
03 toyota tundra
gray..missing my WRX's :(

Default

Lol...I'm an idiot, missed the e85 part. I still stand by the idea of having some more time under the belt before calling "problems" Go back and beat on it a little harder, faster shifts will make huge improvements.

Trey
treystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
Boosted Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 286950
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Chico, CA (boostedtuning.com)
Vehicle:
335i / WRX
EVO 8 RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
I am trapping 102 with a 2012 sti stg 2...i feel like the launch has to have something to do with this (soft on purpose not horrible bog and in my case traction control)

i would not write off that its not all driver if you watch the video he shifts very slow ...i can't see how that would not hurt you by a couple mph
Okay, lets say he is the worst driver in the world (hopefully no offense taken, OP). Thats gonna greatly affect your ET, of course, but like you said, his lack of driving skill could also be hurting him by a couple mph. So least say its hurting him by 5mph, he is still only trapping 107-108. His set up should EASILY trap 110+, more like 112-116.

Maybe its the driving, maybe its the car. Its easy to figure out. He can either go back to the track and try again. He may do better, then well have a better idea of his trap. Or he can learning view or log the car, if nothing sticks out there, check boost leak and comp test. Both options are easy to do. Just seems like most people would wanna start checking it now and find out whats going on, then wait a week or two to get back to the track.

Regardless of what the OP's problem is, I wish him luck.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; 10-14-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Boosted Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
thisisntjared
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 177891
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: south jersey
Vehicle:
06 wrx wagon
child seat/tow hitch cgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatNcheese
what rpm are you trying to get off the line at? also how are you launching, are you dropping the clutch or slipping?
I want to know this as well
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.