Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #176
warpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84622
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: -=OT B-Lister=-
Vehicle:
2010 EVO X GSR
1992 MKIII Supra

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipToBeSquare View Post
Amazing how many Subaru owners there are around here, to make fun of appreciating AWD's benefits in a winter climate.
It's one thing to appreciate, it's another to be infatuated with it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #177
Einzelherz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73922
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in del sur
Vehicle:
Blue
Blue 97 Civic thingy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
What I wrote was in response to what I quoted Hip to BS as saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

--kC
See, that was your first mistake.
Einzelherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #178
ForceFed4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7370
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bethesda, MD
Vehicle:
2013 5.0
SGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
How sad, it doesn't have the classic American mustang traits from previous years anymore.
If it wasn't for the pony badge, I wouldn't think it was a mustang.It looks more european.
Really? Aside from modern headlights/grill, it pretty much looks like the current car, modernized and sharpened a bit.

The roofline, side "vents"/indents, and rear quarter hip swell are all classic Mustang cues that are instantly recognizable.

IMO, it looks a lot closer to the current car than I was expecting after all the hype about it being a complete modern re-interpretation and move away from the current retro style. As a fan of the current retro appearance, I actually really like it. If the V8 model remains affordable (low $30k) to get into, I'd definitely buy it over the current SRA car.
ForceFed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #179
im2lazy789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 166857
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Watkins Glen, NY
Vehicle:
2009 Ford Mustang GT

Default

im2lazy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #180
sr20dehauler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98950
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
RIP - Subaru FXTi
SOLD - B13 SE-R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2lazy789 View Post
If it
  1. looks like the picture above,
  2. gets an irs setup tuned correctly,
  3. gets a drivetrain to handle goobs of power, and
  4. holds a child seat
they have a customer...
sr20dehauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #181
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Looks good to me. Obviously it's way too early, but I'm curious on pricing. Not sure if I would pay any higher for a GT than its current price. I'd also like to see the 15mpg in the city improve for the manual GT.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #182
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
I'd also like to see the 15mpg in the city improve for the manual GT.
I hear you, but remember the EPA cycle specifies shift points. Points which are likely sub-optimal for a large V8. I suspect a good driver can beat that EPA number handily.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #183
arghx7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232940
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
I hear you, but remember the EPA cycle specifies shift points. Points which are likely sub-optimal for a large V8. I suspect a good driver can beat that EPA number handily.
The shift cycle can be negotiated. The thing you have to realize is that there are 5 tests used to calculate fuel economy ("5 cycle fuel economy") and complicated weighting involved that's constantly changing.

A lot of it comes down to back room negotiations among a few people.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #184
Jake1050
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135059
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
How sad, it doesn't have the classic American mustang traits from previous years anymore.
If it wasn't for the pony badge, I wouldn't think it was a mustang.It looks more european.
The Thunderbird, Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang rode a short retro craze wave that has more or less ran its course.
Jake1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #185
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
The shift cycle can be negotiated. The thing you have to realize is that there are 5 tests used to calculate fuel economy ("5 cycle fuel economy") and complicated weighting involved that's constantly changing.

A lot of it comes down to back room negotiations among a few people.
I understand, but in the end the cycle is intended to represent "typical" driving, whatever that means. A good driver who places higher than typical priority on fuel economy can re-optimize their shifting and improve economy.

The manufacturer has a lot more power to negotiate the shift points of the automatic version of a car.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #186
hkerekes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66310
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Removing passenger seat
Vehicle:
2012 Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
Looks good to me. Obviously it's way too early, but I'm curious on pricing. Not sure if I would pay any higher for a GT than its current price. I'd also like to see the 15mpg in the city improve for the manual GT.
I beat the **** out of the BOSS and the lowest i have gotten is 17.

Driving normally in the city im sure i could average 19 or 20. Hwy is 25 easy.
hkerekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #187
Skunkers
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115480
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Vehicle:
2002 RSX-S
Desert Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1050 View Post
The Thunderbird, Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang rode a short retro craze wave that has more or less ran its course.
^ This. ^

Plus, if you really want to buy a retro Mustang, you'll have had about ten years to do so by the time this comes out. And 4-5 years of an actual good retro Mustang.

It's time the styling moves forward instead of back, it'll be high time by 2015. High time for some Nikes with power laces as well.

Looking through history, the main common styling points for the Mustang are the tri-bar taillights and the rear brake duct scoops/scallops. I wouldn't expect those to change. And maybe save the SN95, recessed headlights.

Last edited by Skunkers; 10-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Skunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #188
Klear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312980
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Default

Ford has my attention, but I am not going to call a death to the STI until Subaru gets their turn to update and modernize with the re-design. The gauntlet has been thrown, but not everybody has had their turn yet.
Klear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #189
justincredible
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83633
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: The Mountains
Vehicle:
2012 bright green
box

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klear View Post
Ford has my attention, but I am not going to call a death to the STI until Subaru gets their turn to update and modernize with the re-design. The gauntlet has been thrown, but not everybody has had their turn yet.
So, because of a rumored new Mustang in 2-3 years you're not going to call for the death of a completely different type of car aimed at a different type of person?

Well... good.
justincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #190
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkerekes View Post
I beat the **** out of the BOSS and the lowest i have gotten is 17.

Driving normally in the city im sure i could average 19 or 20. Hwy is 25 easy.
That's good to know. Hopefully we'll see even better numbers with the new model.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #191
Klear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312980
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
So, because of a rumored new Mustang in 2-3 years you're not going to call for the death of a completely different type of car aimed at a different type of person?

Well... good.

I believe very much that there is at least some crossover between STI and Mustang buyers. look at this thread, lots of people are genuinely interested in not only this future mustang but the current mustang. I was commenting more on the few comments about the STI being behind the times, which it is, and that until we see Subaru's response it's not a fair fight.
Klear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #192
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Sorry. I disagree. There as many cross shoppers of these two different vehicles as there are of these...



--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #193
Klear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312980
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Sorry. I disagree. There as many cross shoppers of these two different vehicles as there are of these...



--kC
Seems narrow minded, I cannot be the only person looking for a performance oriented daily driver in the 30k+ mark.
Klear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #194
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klear View Post
I believe very much that there is at least some crossover between STI and Mustang buyers. look at this thread, lots of people are genuinely interested in not only this future mustang but the current mustang. I was commenting more on the few comments about the STI being behind the times, which it is, and that until we see Subaru's response it's not a fair fight.
There is quite a lot of cross shopping. One of the first things I noticed after I sold my last Mustang and bought my STI was just how many people on the Subaru boards were current or former Mustang owners. For whatever reason there's a lot of overlap.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #195
scott_gunn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4203
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5spd hatch
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Makes perfect sense to cross shop the vehicles. Tons of people care about performance and price much more than the number of doors.
scott_gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #196
warpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84622
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: -=OT B-Lister=-
Vehicle:
2010 EVO X GSR
1992 MKIII Supra

Default

I crossed shopped from having a mustang. I also had a supra. Now that i've had an 04' wrx, 05' STi, 06' EVO IX and now 10' EVO X. I'm ready to cross shop something else, like a BMW 335i or 135i or this new mustang. I don't limit myself and say "i can only look in this segment because of blah, blah, blah".
warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #197
arf80
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 125580
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North NJ
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
OBP

Default

This is pretty common where I live too, it's because of the "bang for your buck performance" demographic whose primary concern is performance. Other people who shop by number of doors, drivetrain or cupholders will be confused.
arf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #198
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf80 View Post
This is pretty common where I live too, it's because of the "bang for your buck performance" demographic whose primary concern is performance. Other people who shop by number of doors, drivetrain or cupholders will be confused.
I think that makes up about 2% of mustang buyers. 28% want a bigger dick, 50% wish they were younger, and the last 20% think the color is pretty. This forum is never realistic about the car buying public.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #199
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
I think that makes up about 2% of mustang buyers. 28% want a bigger dick, 50% wish they were younger, and the last 20% think the color is pretty. This forum is never realistic about the car buying public.
I lol'd real hard.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #200
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Was anyone suggesting that you can't survive in the snow without AWD? Of course that's not true, people do it all the time. But it's undeniable that with the same snow tires and AWD, you're much better off than any 2WD setup.
If you are a crappy driver yes but if you are an accomplished driver really the only difference (assuming winter tires) is traction from a stop. I went from an EVO X in winter to a 5.0L and really didn't notice any inconveniences in a Canadian winter in the Mustang compared to the EVO.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refreshed Mustang coming in 2013, next generation to be 2015 model AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 20 08-07-2011 01:42 PM
Rumormill: 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 25 06-05-2011 08:26 PM
New Braille Battery 2015 - $120 shipped psmBoXer Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 7 01-27-2006 02:02 PM
Wal-Mart Seeks to Double Truck Fuel Economy by 2015 FunkerVogt Political Playground 25 12-19-2005 03:44 PM
What will our Subie look like in 2015? wallew Off-Topic 44 07-10-2005 03:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.