Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
wrx-auto-x
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140197
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Default Mystery hose, need help

So I recently took delivery of a '06 STI and after getting home I was looking much closer over the whole car and found a hose that isn't connected to anything and looks like it used to be. Any help is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx-auto-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Does the car have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? That hose used to go to the damper that's right next to the strut tower. You can see that that damper now has a different style fuel line coming off of it which then dives down out of the picture. Trace that hose to see where it goes.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
wrx-auto-x
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Not that i am aware of. As far as I know it is all stock. I have found evidence of mods from the previous owner, but none currently installed other than hood dampers. Where would be a good place to look for a aftermarket regulator?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-auto-x View Post
Where would be a good place to look for a aftermarket regulator?
See my edit
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
ogintheback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99163
Vehicle:
2005 STI CGM
Hose clamps of course!

Before you take it to any of the local shops, come to some of our meets. Many good times to be had, and we could probably save you from some heartaches as well.

Here is a link to our thread.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...56202&page=262
ogintheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
wrx-auto-x
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogintheback View Post
Before you take it to any of the local shops, come to some of our meets. Many good times to be had, and we could probably save you from some heartaches as well.

Here is a link to our thread.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...56202&page=262
Sounds great. I posted in the thread.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
bspec
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215964
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy spec.B
QSM

Please update when you figure this out. That looks like the fuel return line, and if so, I can't figure out how the car would run without it.
bspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspec View Post
Please update when you figure this out. That looks like the fuel return line, and if so, I can't figure out how the car would run without it.
It's not running without it. The damper where that line usually attaches has an aftermarket line connected to it which passes out of view of the picture, most likely to an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, hence post #2.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
wrx-auto-x
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

ok here are some better pics. The first is similar to the first post's pic. The left hose is the stock one and (I believe) used to connect to where the right hose does now. If I follow that 2nd hose it goes to a connection under the intercooler. So on to the second pic. I would like to know if it would be worth my time restoring this to stock/oem config or just leave it be.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
CapnJack
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188518
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy GT Stg 2
Black

There are three hoses that go to the intake manifold. Two are fuel lines (supply and return) and the third is an evaporative system hose. All three go through the firewall in the same spot. You should be able to trace back to the firewall and find the third line that is disconnected somewhere. I'm surprised you are not throwing an evap system trouble code...
CapnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
There are three hoses that go to the intake manifold. Two are fuel lines (supply and return) and the third is an evaporative system hose. All three go through the firewall in the same spot. You should be able to trace back to the firewall and find the third line that is disconnected somewhere. I'm surprised you are not throwing an evap system trouble code...
It's not the evap line...look at the pictures. The evap line does not have the same fittings as the fuel feed and return and it does not pass through a damper, it just has a regular screw clamp and is hooked up like normal. It's definitly the fuel return line he's holding in his hand.

OP - thanks for the second picture. The device it's running to is the factory FPR, exactly where it should go. There would normally be no reason to re-plumb this line, so my guess is the previous owner converted the rails from series to parallel. If they didn't, then I don't know why they decided to re-plumb the fuel lines, but for some reason they did and it looks like it's hooked up fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
wrx-auto-x
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Thx for the input everyone. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
CapnJack
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188518
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy GT Stg 2
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
It's not the evap line...look at the pictures. The evap line does not have the same fittings as the fuel feed and return and it does not pass through a damper, it just has a regular screw clamp and is hooked up like normal. It's definitly the fuel return line he's holding in his hand.

OP - thanks for the second picture. The device it's running to is the factory FPR, exactly where it should go. There would normally be no reason to re-plumb this line, so my guess is the previous owner converted the rails from series to parallel. If they didn't, then I don't know why they decided to re-plumb the fuel lines, but for some reason they did and it looks like it's hooked up fine.
Good call! I see that now. So the factory connector fitting is bypassed from what I'm understanding?
CapnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Looks like it. For some reason the previous owner is running the FPR return directly to the damper instead of going through the hard lines under the manifold and the factory connector.

That's also an aftermarket line on the FPR feed for some reason.