Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
RussSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334177
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2007 STI
OBP

Default Installing Cobb Catback

So i should be recieving my catback exhaust today,

Ive done them before on hondas and i would assume it shouldnt be no different but i wanted to ask you
the level of difficulty was on installing a catback system was on my 07 sti.

Also, would i have to unbolt the axle back first? or can i just take the whole catback off in one piece.

thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RussSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
tgtrefz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 255232
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan Ltd
Spark Silver Metallic

Default

Difficulty: 0-2. Get a can of PB Blaster and soak those bolts. No need to undo the axel back.
tgtrefz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Mr Wrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332887
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange County, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX stage 2+
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtrefz View Post
Difficulty: 0-2. Get a can of PB Blaster and soak those bolts. No need to undo the axel back.
Don't forget a few brewskiis too
Mr Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussSTI
So i should be recieving my catback exhaust today,

Ive done them before on hondas and i would assume it shouldnt be no different but i wanted to ask you
the level of difficulty was on installing a catback system was on my 07 sti.

Also, would i have to unbolt the axle back first? or can i just take the whole catback off in one piece.

thanks
Same process as the honda .. easy job.

I personally like to disconnect the axleback from the midpipe .. I find it makes getting the exhaust off the hangers easier.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
leecea
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37359
Join Date: May 2003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

Does the 07 STi have the spring loaded bolts and donut gasket? My bolts broke and the gasket was pretty bad, but my car's older. Copper RTV can help seal a bad donut gasket.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Disconnect bolts, remove pipe, add pipe, replace bolts. Google was hard.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Navendra94
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327495
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Ozone Park, Queens, New York
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX 5DR
Plasma Blue

Default

I took my stock exhaust off as one peice. Keep in mind, I had a quad tip, if my hand wasnt on my chest, damn thing could've killed me lmao. ( It fell >_> )

I find it easier to put everything on as one peice u less it's too heavy. Should be easy as a moooofugguh on a single outlet car like yours.

Its all preference. Have some WD-40 or so for those annoying hangers and bolts.
Navendra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
RussSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334177
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2007 STI
OBP

Default

sounds easy enough, working on it tonight right after work =)
RussSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
the_truth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: HAWAII
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussSTI View Post
sounds easy enough, working on it tonight right after work =)
Were you able to get the mid pipe to align perfectly with the down pipe? The reason I ask is because I just installed my Cobb CBE yesterday and the mid pipe did not want to perfectly line up with the down pipe. The angle is not that bad and it did create a good seal against the doughnut gasket but it doesn't look right. I took it to my local exhaust shop for them take a look at it and they said it looks good. It is really bugging the crap out of me knowing that it doesn't line up perfectly but it's not leaking so I guess it's good.
the_truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
RussSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334177
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2007 STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_truth View Post
Were you able to get the mid pipe to align perfectly with the down pipe? The reason I ask is because I just installed my Cobb CBE yesterday and the mid pipe did not want to perfectly line up with the down pipe. The angle is not that bad and it did create a good seal against the doughnut gasket but it doesn't look right. I took it to my local exhaust shop for them take a look at it and they said it looks good. It is really bugging the crap out of me knowing that it doesn't line up perfectly but it's not leaking so I guess it's good.

yeah everything was a breeze and lined up fine. maybe you can post up a photo and i can compare it.
RussSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.