Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default Need for an aftermarket bpv at stage 2?

I already have the flame suit on so I'm prepared lol. Can't really find anything on my specific question. My question is, would an aftermarket bypass valves such as the COBB XLE or GFB benefit my vehicle in terms of holding boost better/longer than the oem piece? Let it be known I'd run the bpv full recirculating. As stated I am full stage 2, protuned holding 18.5 psi consistently, and sometimes spiking around 20. I also (flame on) want a different sound than the stock bpv provides with the Cobb sf intake. Any info regarding this, or if some of you are running the same setup I'd love to hear about it
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

The sound difference will come more from venting to the air then just changing out the BPV. And if your BPV is holding boost, which it appears to be doing, there is no NEED to change it. If it were to be failing, then you would NEED to change it.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
drewvdw
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 255776
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Laramie, WY
Vehicle:
2010 LR WRX
MPS powered.

Default

Benefit, no, precaution, yeah. It isn't something you need to worry about now, but don't be surprised if it begins to fail. The plastic ones are really crappy.
drewvdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
The sound difference will come more from venting to the air then just changing out the BPV. And if your BPV is holding boost, which it appears to be doing, there is no NEED to change it. If it were to be failing, then you would NEED to change it.
I plan on adding injectors, a fuel pump, and a process west ic in the spring. I'm assuming I'd be pushing slightly higher boost at that point. I posted this because I'm looking down the road and would like to plan accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvdw View Post
Benefit, no, precaution, yeah. It isn't something you need to worry about now, but don't be surprised if it begins to fail. The plastic ones are really crappy.
Precaution for the future. Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the input guys.
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

the forge one seem to be recommended, mines not leaking yet, 19psi. lets see how long it lasts..
BigRob74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
WRXSteye20008
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175565
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Sport Premium
Past: 351awhp Sti

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboost0303 View Post
I plan on adding injectors, a fuel pump, and a process west ic in the spring. I'm assuming I'd be pushing slightly higher boost at that point. I posted this because I'm looking down the road and would like to plan accordingly.
Higher horse power does not always mean higher boost**


I am at 21psi and spike sometimes around 23 when it's cool with 18gXT, Spearco TMIC, Perrin big MAF intake, DW850cc injectors, Tail 38mm EWG, WB 255 Fuel pump, and the list goes on holding fine with the stock bpv, well it is crushed a little but, it holds pressure fine at 346awhp/378tq, oh yeah this is on a car with 123,890 miles.
WRXSteye20008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXSteye20008 View Post
I am at 21psi and spike sometimes around 23 when it's cool with 18gXT, Spearco TMIC, Perrin big MAF intake, DW850cc injectors, Tail 38mm EWG, WB 255 Fuel pump, and the list goes on holding fine with the stock bpv, well it is crushed a little but, it holds pressure fine at 346awhp/378tq, oh yeah this is on a car with 123,890 miles.
i dont think yours is plastic
BigRob74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
i dont think yours is plastic
Yeah it isn't plastic because he was able to crush it. I understand higher hp doesn't mean higher boost. I'm pretty positive though when I go for a retune it'll be raised. I'm just basically looking for people with the same set up, same generation, and I want to know if its a smart investment for the future.
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboost0303 View Post
I plan on adding injectors, a fuel pump, and a process west ic in the spring. I'm assuming I'd be pushing slightly higher boost at that point. I posted this because I'm looking down the road and would like to plan accordingly.
Adding injectors and a fuel pump doesn't exactly add power/boost. Even with a retune you might only sqeak out a few more ponies. Don't get me wrong, precatutionary steps are great. And in context now, with plans to move forward it is NOT a bad step to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
i dont think yours is plastic
It's not. STI's have always had metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboost0303 View Post
Yeah it isn't plastic because he was able to crush it. I understand higher hp doesn't mean higher boost. I'm pretty positive though when I go for a retune it'll be raised. I'm just basically looking for people with the same set up, same generation, and I want to know if its a smart investment for the future.
You know who would be the BEST person to ask if this is a good mod? Your tuner.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
dangyo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289786
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch

Default

it's plastic on the wrx. that's why everyone upgrades once they're stage 2/plus. i highly recommend the forge cause it's a quality product and priced the best. i also have the same exact set up now and plan on doing pw ic & ebcs next then injectors/fp. it sounds perfect to me.
dangyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
SeeeeeYa
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Ltd CVT
GBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangyo View Post
it's plastic on the wrx. that's why everyone upgrades once they're stage 2/plus. i highly recommend the forge cause it's a quality product and priced the best. i also have the same exact set up now and plan on doing pw ic & ebcs next then injectors/fp. it sounds perfect to me.
Not "everyone."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454965

YMMV, but this has served me and MANY other for many years.

Forge is good if you need AM, but it is no better, just costs more and provides a talking point.
SeeeeeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX

Adding injectors and a fuel pump doesn't exactly add power/boost. Even with a retune you might only sqeak out a few more ponies. Don't get me wrong, precatutionary steps are great. And in context now, with plans to move forward it is NOT a bad step to take.

It's not. STI's have always had metal.

You know who would be the BEST person to ask if this is a good mod? Your tuner.
Dude lol, I understand about those modifications not adding a boat load of power. My main concern was the strength and durability of the oem bpv because I'm getting up there. And I would ask my tuner, but he passed away RIP Chris....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangyo
it's plastic on the wrx. that's why everyone upgrades once they're stage 2/plus. i highly recommend the forge cause it's a quality product and priced the best. i also have the same exact set up now and plan on doing pw ic & ebcs next then injectors/fp. it sounds perfect to me.
Thanks bro I might just look into the forge. It's slightly cheaper than what I'm looking at, but that really isn't a focal point of mine. I had a forge bpv on my 03 GTI. Sounded pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeeeeYa

Not "everyone."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454965

YMMV, but this has served me and MANY other for many years.

Forge is good if you need AM, but it is no better, just costs more and provides a talking point.
Lol I gotcha. Welp, decisions decisions lol.
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Anybody hear good things about the turbo smart dual port?
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
drewvdw
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 255776
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Laramie, WY
Vehicle:
2010 LR WRX
MPS powered.

Default

Never heard anything about them, I'm running the Forge unit. Haven't had a probem with it since I got it.
drewvdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
silverboost0303
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83266
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Springfield, MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvdw
Never heard anything about them, I'm running the Forge unit. Haven't had a probem with it since I got it.
That might be what I go with.
silverboost0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.