Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #1451
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Im not sure why you consult an aftermarket company about stock parts. The default answer is leave it. But in reality im sure taking it out would be fine. I dont remember seeing one on mine.
i think it might just be the prez model
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #1452
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Im not sure why you consult an aftermarket company about stock parts. The default answer is leave it. But in reality im sure taking it out would be fine. I dont remember seeing one on mine.
Perhaps he is inquiring about putting the Perrin drop-in filter and wants to know if there is an issue installing it with the secondary filter?
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #1453
kenny doggins
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326540
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza MT SP
DGM

Default

ok so does removing it get more mpg's or anything? It can't just be a useless part.
kenny doggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #1454
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny doggins View Post
ok so does removing it get more mpg's or anything? It can't just be a useless part.
It would probably improve airflow a bit and improve MPGs by a miniscule amount though.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #1455
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

I just got the grimmspeed pulley removal tool today, it doesn't quite fit on the stock pulley. You can get two bolts into the pulley but not the rest. It should however be enough to remove it. Hopefully I'll be able to put in the perrin on Monday on my day off
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #1456
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I just got the grimmspeed pulley removal tool today, it doesn't quite fit on the stock pulley. You can get two bolts into the pulley but not the rest. It should however be enough to remove it. Hopefully I'll be able to put in the perrin on Monday on my day off
I am interested in this part but could you please give us the weight of the new vs the old part so that we can have something to compare to. (helps to use the same scale) If its drastically different this part might be worth the effort.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #1457
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
i think it might just be the prez model
Yep im noticing that may be the case with alot of little differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Perhaps he is inquiring about putting the Perrin drop-in filter and wants to know if there is an issue installing it with the secondary filter?
Possible.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #1458
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07

I am interested in this part but could you please give us the weight of the new vs the old part so that we can have something to compare to. (helps to use the same scale) If its drastically different this part might be worth the effort.
I will def be comparing the stock vs the perrin pulley. I won't know exactly until I get a day off to get the stock pulley out. It doesn't actually seem like its a lot of effort, and for $120, you cant really go wrong
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #1459
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

What about any potential issues with warranty? Otherwise I would be all over this, given that it fits and is compatible.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #1460
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
What about any potential issues with warranty? Otherwise I would be all over this, given that it fits and is compatible.
It all depends on what the engine failure is.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #1461
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
It all depends on what the engine failure is.
Yeah that makes sense but knowing how dealers are they're probably try and void and deny your warranty anyways with or without the Magnusson-Moss act.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1462
Irongrave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325040
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5door
DMG

Default

I pulled the screen out today. Its layers of plastic fabric mesh with a charcoal/carbon media impeded between them. My best guess is that its there to remove some of the airborne pollutants thus helping it lower the emissions out of the tail pipe. I will report back with any codes if there are any.
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #1463
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
I pulled the screen out today. Its layers of plastic fabric mesh with a charcoal/carbon media impeded between them. My best guess is that its there to remove some of the airborne pollutants thus helping it lower the emissions out of the tail pipe. I will report back with any codes if there are any.
From your description, the material seems like that of an air purifier filter. So it probably serves the same purpose too.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #1464
Irongrave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325040
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5door
DMG

Default

That was my best guess as to what it was as well. So far 75 miles or so no codes and no noticeable changes in how the car drives, sounds, and its too early to see and MPG change.
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #1465
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

I just installed the perrin crank pulley last night. It definitely makes the throttle feel a little more responsive. I really like the feel of it. Such a pain to install tho! The bolt was on super tight and I needed to put pipe over both of the 24 inch breaker bars for more leverage! The grimmspeed tool does work, not perfectly, but it works. I could only get two bolts through the stock pulley which made keeping it against the pulley whilst breaking the threads on the bolt a nightmare! You also need to remove the two rad fans in order to remove the bolt from the crank but that's no biggie. The perrin pulley teeters between 1.2 - 1.25 lbs on the scale! It is light. I won't be able to get a weight on the stock pulley till tomorrow when I get back to work, however I can tell you it weighs a ton! Best part, no CEL
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #1466
Sticman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317244
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
12 Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I just installed the perrin crank pulley last night. It definitely makes the throttle feel a little more responsive. I really like the feel of it. Such a pain to install tho! The bolt was on super tight and I needed to put pipe over both of the 24 inch breaker bars for more leverage! The grimmspeed tool does work, not perfectly, but it works. I could only get two bolts through the stock pulley which made keeping it against the pulley whilst breaking the threads on the bolt a nightmare! You also need to remove the two rad fans in order to remove the bolt from the crank but that's no biggie. The perrin pulley teeters between 1.2 - 1.25 lbs on the scale! It is light. I won't be able to get a weight on the stock pulley till tomorrow when I get back to work, however I can tell you it weighs a ton! Best part, no CEL
I have been waiting for someone to review this. Thank you for trying, it sounds great so far. Do you have any pictures of the install yet?
Sticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1467
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticman

I have been waiting for someone to review this. Thank you for trying, it sounds great so far. Do you have any pictures of the install yet?
No but I'll take some this evening. I got it in black so it doesn't look too different. I don't want the car to look much dif than stock
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #1468
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I just installed the perrin crank pulley last night. It definitely makes the throttle feel a little more responsive. I really like the feel of it. Such a pain to install tho! The bolt was on super tight and I needed to put pipe over both of the 24 inch breaker bars for more leverage! The grimmspeed tool does work, not perfectly, but it works. I could only get two bolts through the stock pulley which made keeping it against the pulley whilst breaking the threads on the bolt a nightmare! You also need to remove the two rad fans in order to remove the bolt from the crank but that's no biggie. The perrin pulley teeters between 1.2 - 1.25 lbs on the scale! It is light. I won't be able to get a weight on the stock pulley till tomorrow when I get back to work, however I can tell you it weighs a ton! Best part, no CEL
LOL, Im sure the stock torque on the crank bolt is somewhere around 200-300 lbs. Old trick is if you dont have the man power. remove the spark plug wires and Turn her over 1 or 2 times with the rachet attached and anchored the nut should be loose after that. Good to hear you got it on. Hope you tried to torque the hell out of it.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1469
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07

LOL, Im sure the stock torque on the crank bolt is somewhere around 200-300 lbs. Old trick is if you dont have the man power. remove the spark plug wires and Turn her over 1 or 2 times with the rachet attached and anchored the nut should be loose after that. Good to hear you got it on. Hope you tried to torque the hell out of it.
I thought about that but was too scared to crush a brake line. I did it to 33 lbs and then again to 98 to make sure that the bolt turned more than 45 degrees. I gave it another quick go after that but heard the threads start to crack so I left it at that. I'll check again after a hundred miles or so
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #1470
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

The o-ring seemed a little too big but I managed to make it fit. Is it worth replacing it?
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #1471
daricklo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327977
Join Date: Aug 2012
Question

If there are no oil leaks, then you will be fine. Don't need to replace the o ring. How did you hold the crank pulley in place when you were loosening crank bolt?
daricklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #1472
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daricklo
If there are no oil leaks, then you will be fine. Don't need to replace the o ring. How did you hold the crank pulley in place when you were loosening crank bolt?
I used the grimmspeed crank pulley removal tool. You can get either two of the large bolts through the pulley or three of the small ones
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1473
Imprezasport12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317866
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Just installed hid lights... Ddm tuning 35 w 8000k they look bluer in person but here are the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89908951@N07/8172999326

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89908951@N07/8172970907
Imprezasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #1474
MjSub2.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314973
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Satin White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezasport12
Just installed hid lights... Ddm tuning 35 w 8000k they look bluer in person but here are the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89908951@N07/8172999326

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89908951@N07/8172970907
8000? I bet it would be bluer! I got 5000.
MjSub2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #1475
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I just installed the perrin crank pulley last night. It definitely makes the throttle feel a little more responsive. I really like the feel of it. Such a pain to install tho! The bolt was on super tight and I needed to put pipe over both of the 24 inch breaker bars for more leverage! The grimmspeed tool does work, not perfectly, but it works. I could only get two bolts through the stock pulley which made keeping it against the pulley whilst breaking the threads on the bolt a nightmare! You also need to remove the two rad fans in order to remove the bolt from the crank but that's no biggie. The perrin pulley teeters between 1.2 - 1.25 lbs on the scale! It is light. I won't be able to get a weight on the stock pulley till tomorrow when I get back to work, however I can tell you it weighs a ton! Best part, no CEL
Overall how hard would you say the install was and how long did it take you? I seriously doubt my own abilities in installing this myself.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
factory SS or aftermarket for 2012??? Myth21 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 01-07-2012 11:18 AM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-29-2011 11:31 PM
Has anyone test drive a 2012 Impreza yet? pRiMe DiReCtIvE General Community 25 11-28-2011 10:03 PM
Hybrid Impreza in the works for 2012? rsholland News & Rumors 43 03-12-2010 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.