Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
SoImprezd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296872
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default

I own a 2007 Impreza 2.5i. No it does not have a turbo and it is not a WRX. I've owned this car for a little over a year now and have put 20k miles on it.

The reason for this post is to establish MY perspective on this car. I love my car and I have a blast driving and working on it. Personally I think that it's a pretty quick car for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. I understand that my car is no where near as fast as a STi, Evo, etc. I've actually beat an 04 WRX in a race before, this doesn't mean my car is fast, nor does it mean it's faster than all WRXs.

I've invested much time and money into my car and I have no regrets. Friends and others say to me, "Stop wasting your money, buy a WRX." Well it's not as simple as everyone thinks it is.

I'm 19 years old and when I was 17 I was rear ended in my first car and it was totaled. I bought a junky maxima as my first standard. After a while the car completely fell apart. My parents said to me that it would probably be more beneficial if I got a newer car so that I don't have to worry about my car breaking so often. I've always loved Subarus and I wanted to get one. On a personal note, my parent's credit isn't great and I don't have credit.

Our local Subaru car dealership was having a special for people with "bad/no credit." I saw this as being my only opportunity to get a newer Subaru because it was the easiest way to get a loan straight from the dealership. Keep in mind I only wanted a Subaru Impreza or legacy, nothing else. The only used legacy they had was an 09 NA for a very high price. There was an 08 Impreza for 18k, ugly and way over priced. There were a few WRXs but not only were they expensive, my parents said "you don't need a fast car."

The only choice I had was a 2007 Impreza 2.5i for $12.5k with a 5year loan. I've been paying for the car since day one. Since there's a loan on the car, the bank has the title. So I can't trade it and if I sell it I'll have maybe a few thousand cash. So in a sense, I'm stuck with this car until its paid off. I'll be receiving a hefty settlement from my accident last year, then I can pay off the car. But until then I have to keep it.

If I want to do some mods here and there, I'm going to do it. I plan to get a WRX next but for now, I'm working with what I have and I don't think I should be criticized for it. The point of this post is not to make anyone mad, it's to inform the ignorant.

So next time a kid with a NA subie asks about a mod or anything else, don't be so quick to harass them until you know their story.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by SoImprezd; 11-06-2012 at 12:35 PM.
SoImprezd is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
wrxsti87
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337080
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

how about some bullet points or a summary who has time to read all that
wrxsti87 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
SoImprezd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296872
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti87
how about some bullet points or a summary who has time to read all that
Revised
SoImprezd is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
drewvdw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255776
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Laramie, WY
Vehicle:
2010 LR WRX
MPS powered.

Default

Cool story bro. The whole point to people "harrassing" you is because modifying a 2.5i will gain you next to nothing.
drewvdw is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
aod12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282701
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2008 FXT
WRB

Default

It's your car you shouldn't be so butthurt about other peoples opinions. Do what you want with it as long as you're not endangering any lives, i.e. street racing a wrx like a moron. Everyone has their own stories but unless you're particularly close to anyone it'll be in one ear out the other. If you go online to where thousands of people log on, expect people to disagree with you. If you don't care for other peoples opinions don't make a public post where others can respond.
BTW I've got an na 2008 Impreza which in 09 I got it for $12.5k with 25k miles so dealers around you must've really marked up the price. Best of luck with your endeavors!
aod12 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
HoboBob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253560
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Redneck Riviera, SC
Vehicle:
'05 FXT
Asspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvdw View Post
Cool story bro. The whole point to people "harrassing" you is because modifying a 2.5i will gain you next to nothing.
^Exactly what the OP is talking about. Typical crap attitude.

He's not speaking just about mods. He's speaking about enjoying the car just as anyone else enjoys their WRX/STI. It could be something completely unrelated to power such as suspension and the typical Subaru attitude is stop wasting money and get a WRX. Each car has its pros and cons whether it be a 2.5i, a WRX, or an STI. It depends what you can afford and what you want.

If you enjoy your car good for you. I will never hate on someone because they enjoy they're N/A 4 cylinder just because it doesn't have a turbo. Hell, I know people that have more fun with their N/A Subarus than people do with their forced induction Subarus.
HoboBob is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283467
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The 703
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoImprezd View Post
I own a 2007 Impreza 2.5i. No it does not have a turbo and it is not a WRX. I've owned this car for a little over a year now and have put 20k miles on it.

The reason for this post is to establish MY perspective on this car. I love my car and I have a blast driving and working on it. Personally I think that it's a pretty quick car for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. I understand that my car is no where near as fast as a STi, Evo, etc. I've actually beat an 04 WRX in a race before, this doesn't mean my car is fast, nor does it mean it's faster than all WRXs.

I've invested much time and money into my car and I have no regrets. Friends and others say to me, "Stop wasting your money, buy a WRX." Well it's not as simple as everyone thinks it is.

I'm 19 years old and when I was 17 I was rear ended in my first car and it was totaled. I bought a junky maxima as my first standard. After a while the car completely fell apart. My parents said to me that it would probably be more beneficial if I got a newer car so that I don't have to worry about my car breaking so often. I've always loved Subarus and I wanted to get one. On a personal note, my parent's credit isn't great and I don't have credit.

Our local Subaru car dealership was having a special for people with "bad/no credit." I saw this as being my only opportunity to get a newer Subaru because it was the easiest way to get a loan straight from the dealership. Keep in mind I only wanted a Subaru Impreza or legacy, nothing else. The only used legacy they had was an 09 NA for a very high price. There was an 08 Impreza for 18k, ugly and way over priced. There were a few WRXs but not only were they expensive, my parents said "you don't need a fast car."

The only choice I had was a 2007 Impreza 2.5i for $12.5k with a 5year loan. I've been paying for the car since day one. Since there's a loan on the car, the bank has the title. So I can't trade it and if I sell it I'll have maybe a few thousand cash. So in a sense, I'm stuck with this car until its paid off. I'll be receiving a hefty settlement from my accident last year, then I can pay off the car. But until then I have to keep it.

If I want to do some mods here and there, I'm going to do it. I plan to get a WRX next but for now, I'm working with what I have and I don't think I should be criticized for it. The point of this post is not to make anyone mad, it's to inform the ignorant.

So next time a kid with a NA subie asks about a mod or anything else, don't be so quick to harass them until you know their story.
It does suck that people can't even ask a question without getting flamed on NASIOC. You own a car that you can afford, plus you are still a teenager. It is very sad what NASIOC has become. I mean its not like IWSTI which is mostly WRX and STI owners, but that is the crowd the site is aimed at. NASIOC covers ALL subarus (Impreza, Legacy, Outback, etc...), so you should not have to worry asking a question about an N/A impreza. However, it appears from your post that people do (i.e. - the ass clown 3 posts back), which is not right at all. You are simply a younger individual looking for help and guidance.

So I say ask any question related to your impreza that you want (with in the forum guidelines), and screw the haters, who's mom and dad probably purchased their WRX or STI for them (also the same ones that wrap themselves around trees). Some dumbass' in here think if you have any other subaru except for the WRX, STi or BRZ, that it is a waste of time. F*** them, you do what makes you happy!

This is why I only browse through here when bored at work. IWSTI is much better
STiNemesis is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283467
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The 703
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvdw View Post
Cool story bro. The whole point to people "harrassing" you is because modifying a 2.5i will gain you next to nothing.
Who cares?!?!

He is doing what he car afford as the OP clearly stated in his first post. Is this affecting your life/car/boyfriend what so ever?

Last edited by STiNemesis; 11-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
STiNemesis is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Chuckls
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280696
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kentuckiana
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
OBP

Default

Only post in the N/A subforum. Problem solved. (But there are cons to that, but I wouldn't want to make them upset)
Chuckls is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283467
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The 703
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Only post in the N/A subforum. Problem solved. (But there are cons to that, but I wouldn't want to make them upset)

There is only a N/A Powertrain forum....So you are telling him to post wheel questions, or exterior light questions in there???
STiNemesis is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
drewvdw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255776
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Laramie, WY
Vehicle:
2010 LR WRX
MPS powered.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
^Exactly what the OP is talking about. Typical crap attitude.

He's not speaking just about mods. He's speaking about enjoying the car just as anyone else enjoys their WRX/STI. It could be something completely unrelated to power such as suspension and the typical Subaru attitude is stop wasting money and get a WRX. Each car has its pros and cons whether it be a 2.5i, a WRX, or an STI. It depends what you can afford and what you want.

If you enjoy your car good for you. I will never hate on someone because they enjoy they're N/A 4 cylinder just because it doesn't have a turbo. Hell, I know people that have more fun with their N/A Subarus than people do with their forced induction Subarus.
He is in fact talking about mods. Any power mods are useless. The only thing that would make much sense would be an exhaust simply for personal preference. You will not make power on an N/A Subaru without tons of money. If you want to do suspension/interior mods, by all means, go for it! But if it's power you're looking for, wait for the WRX. You'll save time, money, and disappointment.
drewvdw is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

I'd say know your place and realize that you truly drive an economy car, not a sports car. Don't expect to get the same respect as someone with an STi or a WRX.
FaastLegacy is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
jandree22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100800
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: S Central PA
Default

I applaud you for taking pride in your ride. Impreza 2.5i's are a great car. But it's comments and tone like this that will get you in trouble.
Quote:
I've actually beat an 04 WRX in a race before, this doesn't mean my car is fast, nor does it mean it's faster than all WRXs.
If I went on CorvetteForums.com and claimed the following, I'd be ridiculed.
Quote:
I've actually beat a 10 Vette in a race before, this doesn't mean my WRX is fast, nor does it mean it's faster than all Vettes.
Such a claim could be 100% true, but it carries with it a flair of arrogance not welcome by everybody. Also realize you're 19 years old, driving for 3 years. You have your whole life ahead of you and there's no pressure or expectation that you need to have the flashiest car on Day 1. You're paying for your ride and that deserves WAY more respect than being 19 and having mommy and daddy buying you an STI. I'm 29 and just got my WRX last month. My dad has wanted a Vette since he was 16 and just got it 2 years ago after 40 years of waiting.


Getting on a different track, what work have you done to your 2.5i?

Last edited by jandree22; 11-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
jandree22 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
enjoi1968
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234416
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 21703
Vehicle:
It's A BRAAAAAHtato,
Yo.

Default

enjoi1968 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
I'd say know your place and realize that you truly drive an economy car, not a sports car. Don't expect to get the same respect as someone with an STi or a WRX.
If you think you need a fast car to gain respect......

..... then you're not worthy of it.

The OP is paying his own way on this car. It's not like so many of the kidiots here who have Mommy and Daddy buy them a WRX and then spend all their money on mods. He gains more respect from me in his stock NA Impreza than some guy with 400 WHP who's driving a car paid for by his parents.
SpamBot is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

There is nothing wrong with a n/a impreza. I ran an 01 2.5RS on the track before the WRX even came out. My upgrades were some JDM Bridgestone/Tokiko shocks, Tein medium race springs, 4 pot front brakes, H6 rear brakes, 140 pounds of weight saving and a bunch of wheels/tires to do street, snow, track. It was a great car and one that I wish I kept instead of buying the biggest pos, most unreliable, expensive, fall apart at EVERY track event 2000 Audi S4.

I know you have a newer N/A, and Subaru has upped the power for you, but added a LOT of road hugging weight. Something that I did was carefully look at everything on the car to determine if it could be cheaply (or free) replaced or reduced. Look at Lotus. They have never gone with power, yet compete rather well against big power Corvettes and Porsches in ALMS and Grand Am racing. The 140 pounds I lost was simple stuff like steel brackets that could be replaced with tie wraps and the various bricks within the car. You've got a good, reliable car which is going to go for a long time. Your mileage is better than a WRX and you can get 86 octane gas....if you can find it.

I have no problems with your car.
Jack is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
k04sti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171773
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: tampa, fl
Vehicle:
04 wrx sti
jbp dom 3 xtr w meth!

Default

It's your car do whatever the hell you want with it. To all the other idiots telling you otherwise well.. just ignore them.

Most of the kiddies get money from their parents drop the car off at the shop and have all the work done for them anyway. They probably don't even know how to change the damn oil. Even if you do an intake or exhaust or headers and it might not have much gain in power for you. It's your car, do whatever makes you happy and more power to you
k04sti is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
kryptoK
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280212
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
04 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default

All I know is.. I drive an 04 STi with an FP 20g and I'm 21, I bought the car completely stock. I made it happen! And on my own, I work for it and it's the best thing I've ever done with money. But everyone that ends up with whatever car they may have and is interested in modding it.. making that much better WILL do it no matter what the car is, in his case I respect it! I had a Cavalier before my STi, the 2.5 Ecotec n/a, it was my only option of a car at that time, but I still did whatever I could with it because I was interested in modding just to do it, that car could handle as good if not better than my Subaru can, it was awesome.. I guess my point is, I totally understand what you're saying OP and people that flame you just don't understand sometimes, so just let it happen.
kryptoK is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Good for you OP.

Totally agree with you. Dont take the trolls seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
I'd say know your place and realize that you truly drive an economy car, not a sports car. Don't expect to get the same respect as someone with an STi or a WRX.
This is just funny. "know your place" haha
myrt1987 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
panasyncp17
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 83783
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Colchester, CT
Vehicle:
2011 WRX

Default

Anyone that gives you a hard time is most likely some punk ass kid that could finally afford a high mileage WRX/STi but can't afford to mod it and is getting waxed on the street/strip so they feel tough talking down on an N/A Impreza.

Having said that - there IS a pecking order so to speak. I came from the Mustang crowd, for example, a 3V GT with some gears and a tune doesn't go mouthin off to a Whippled Cobra, lol.
panasyncp17 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

It's about how you stand by your car.
HinshawWRX is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
CKxx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33458
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
Your BOV sounds lame
93 RX7+09 Forester

Default

When your friends tell you to wait and get a WRX in future...have you usually just finished talking about your new intake or header? If so, they are correct.
CKxx is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Wtfmaynelol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332472
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix az
Vehicle:
08 Sti
White yooooomg

Default

Sti stickers add hp, best bang for your buck imo
Wtfmaynelol is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

While we're all glad that the OP told us his life story to people on the net that don't matter, and that he's proud to own the car, I don't think this warranted an entire thread. Or a somewhat misleading thread title. There is an entire technical section dedicated to Natural Aspiration. And regardless of ANY vehicle, there will always be a Hierarchy. From Cobalts, to Grand Prixs to Scions to even stupid dodge trucks, there will always be people that think you should have gotten the highest possible model. (All listed vehicles from experience) The key point is that YOU like YOUR car, the internet doesn't matter.
HinshawWRX is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Dialoguester
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336037
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan
Lightning Red

Default NA respect

I am in agreeance with you my friend. I constantly take crap from every WRX and STI owner I've come across. It's not that they are bad people or anything, the just want me to have a turbo. I am also very young and own a 2007 2.5i and it is a fantastic car! As far as beating a WRX, that'll never happen....
Dialoguester is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.